Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] H/C vs FI

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 PM
colorado z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default H/C vs FI

You got 8 grand to spend on more power. Do you go with H/C package or SC??
Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you're asking what *I* would go with.. HC for sure. I like simplicity and lighter weight.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatdude
Since you're asking what *I* would go with.. HC for sure. I like simplicity and lighter weight.
Simpler is better.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GMuffley
Simpler is better.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 AM
ayousef
Drifting

again, the MAX you could ever do with head/cam is 600RWHP, I started with a blower at low boost (5PSI), and am now working on bumping the boost pressure to 12-14.

The blower package IS heavier but you can EASILY compensate for that added weight by more power. Also its much more expensive.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:41 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Hatdude
Originally Posted by GMuffley
Simpler is better.
Originally Posted by Frenchican
as well. H/C for sure.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 AM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ayousef
again, the MAX you could ever do with head/cam is 600RWHP, I started with a blower at low boost (5PSI), and am now working on bumping the boost pressure to 12-14.

The blower package IS heavier but you can EASILY compensate for that added weight by more power. Also its much more expensive.
You are going to have to forge those internals, and go lower compression, no way your stock bottom end is going to hold even 10lbs of boost with stock internals. A guy in the C6 section just blew his motor on 9lbs of boost, the bottom ends aren't any stronger on the LS7 vs the LS3. Heads and cam is the way to go unless you start tearing down the engine, the 8k budget will at least be doubled with FI
Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 AM
ayousef
Drifting

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
You are going to have to forge those internals, and go lower compression, no way your stock bottom end is going to hold even 10lbs of boost with stock internals. A guy in the C6 section just blew his motor on 9lbs of boost, the bottom ends aren't any stronger on the LS7 vs the LS3. Heads and cam is the way to go unless you start tearing down the engine, the 8k budget will at least be doubled with FI
sure, im going all forged, that guy blew an LS3 or an LS2? I heard of a few LS2's running at 10PSI with no problems though.

If you find that link, pls. paste it here
Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 AM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

sure, im going all forged, that guy blew an LS3 or an LS2? I heard of a few LS2's running at 10PSI with no problems though.

If you find that link, pls. paste it here
He's talkin about this guy:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1925468
Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 AM
colorado z06
Advanced

I priced the new Vortech kit installed and tuned for $7,800. We are estimating near 600RWH with 5+ boost. H/C came in around $7,000. with no warranty and estimate 550RWH.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 AM
LPFSTheFett
Pro

Having had a couple Supercharged cars and a couple Head/Cam cars, I can tell you that you will be happier with the Supercharger. Your car is going to run around like stock until you get on it and then you'll have 600rwhp.

The H/C car is going to take a certain degree of driveability away. Not much if done right, but the Supercharger will be better. Plus most H/C cars only put out around 550rwhp.

If you go with a Supercharger, I personally would recommend going with ATI.

My Viper has the Paxton and drives around like a stock car. You can't even tell it has the blower at all, till you really get on it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM
jrubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LPFSTheFett
Having had a couple Supercharged cars and a couple Head/Cam cars, I can tell you that you will be happier with the Supercharger. Your car is going to run around like stock until you get on it and then you'll have 600rwhp.

The H/C car is going to take a certain degree of driveability away. Not much if done right, but the Supercharger will be better. Plus most H/C cars only put out around 550rwhp.

If you go with a Supercharger, I personally would recommend going with ATI.

My Viper has the Paxton and drives around like a stock car. You can't even tell it has the blower at all, till you really get on it.

Listen to this guy. FI is the way to go for sure. My car drives just like stock untill you hit the gas and then it will blow you away. I have the vortech kit, and have no complaints whatsoever. 580rwhp on 5-6 PSI. Everything else is completely stock and running perfect.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 AM
colorado z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrubicon
Listen to this guy. FI is the way to go for sure. My car drives just like stock untill you hit the gas and then it will blow you away. I have the vortech kit, and have no complaints whatsoever. 580rwhp on 5-6 PSI. Everything else is completely stock and running perfect.
Stock exhaust and no headers??
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

I respectfully DISAGREE that you can compensate for weight with more power. For straight line performance, sure. For anything else which includes any change of direction besides forward (braking, turning) nothing speaks louder than weight (or lack thereof). If you're into top speed runs or the 1/4 mile go ahead and pack on the pounds and make up for it with a forced induction package. I personally like taking corners and braking hard. No FI package is going to help that performance and in fact it will only hurt it. HC all the way, but it really depends on what your goals are.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 PM
jrubicon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by colorado z06
Stock exhaust and no headers??
yup
Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Here is another way to look at it.

How long do you plan on keeping the car?

You might want to consider FI, if you plan on selling the car in the near future. It would be easier to take out and sell the car as stock.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, and want to spend more money on mods, go H/C route.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:33 PM
4MuscleMachines
Burning Brakes

For those on the fence as well, I suggest driving a FI car then a HC car to see the huge difference in driveability. As already stated, a FI car will drive just like stock until you step on it further, with one exception. The torque is much greater off the line and makes the car drive like stock but much more powerful and responsive.

Having said that, for the stock C6Z I would probably do HC. For any other LSx car out there, I would go FI, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To H/C vs FI

Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM
colorado z06
Advanced

One of the other reasons for thinking FI over HC we are at 6500 elevation average and my home is 7600. However that said I am still on the fence and looking for all the info I can find. Running down to the drag track 2 to 3 times a year and cross country track on occasion.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

You also need to consider longevity. I strongly recommend forged pistons for anything more than H&C.

I'm speaking from experience.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:07 PM
colorado z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frenchican
You also need to consider longevity. I strongly recommend forged pistons for anything more than H&C.

I'm speaking from experience.
I understand up to 600RWH FI or HC we should be ok??

Quick Reply: [Z06] H/C vs FI