Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] HID Foglights: DIY with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

What bulb type did you order for? I know, I can look at my manual, thing is I am at work and want to order right now. This mod is easy and looks great!!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice post, this mod is on my To Do List now
Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 AM
38 Years Later
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had these on their car over a year or so? I want a set but I have some concern about melting lights. I've had promlems in the past with a previous car and scorched foglights due to a HID system that was installed. I want to know more about long term usage.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:16 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by dkrhardy
The fogs are aimed low enough that oncoming traffic shouldn't be bothered. Also, I thought that HID's actually make less heat at the lens, but overheated stock wiring is the issue. Anyone know for sure?
HIDs require a high initial startup current, this was my main concern.
I didnt want to blow any fuses.

I'm tempted to test the actual current draw. Anyone know which fuse connects to the fog lights?

Ah wait, someone has done this already with 55W HIDs:

According to THIS
COLD HIDs can use up to 8 AMPS EACH on startup.
Thats almost 200W total!

While high, I think the stock wiring can handle the 100W required for a brief 2 seconds of warmup. I didnt blow any fuses, so thats always good.

After warm up, the current draw goes down to just 3.5A or 42W. Interestingly the stock bulbs are also 42W. I'm getting 55W of HID lighting for the same current, not a bad deal!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtlBlkZ06
HIDs require a high initial startup current, this was my main concern.
I didnt want to blow any fuses.

I'm tempted to test the actual current draw. Anyone know which fuse connects to the fog lights?

Ah wait, someone has done this already with 55W HIDs:

According to THIS
COLD HIDs can use up to 8 AMPS EACH on startup.
Thats almost 200W total!

While high, I think the stock wiring can handle the 100W required for a brief 2 seconds of warmup. I didnt blow any fuses, so thats always good.

After warm up, the current draw goes down to just 3.5A or 42W. Interestingly the stock bulbs are also 42W. I'm getting 55W of HID lighting for the same current, not a bad deal!
When the car warms up and the lighting adjusts, from my understanding, there isn't a significant difference in lighting color between the stock HID headlamps and the HID fog lights you have. Is this correct or am I way off?

I want to purchase these now, but I don't want a mismatch in color between the HID foglights and the HID headlamps. Your opinion will be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

puting HID bulbs in a lamp made for halogens is not smart. the HID needs either an engineered lamp to properly aim the light or a projector housing with a balancer.

in fact, HID was never designed for use as a fog light. personally, i never run my fogs but i have seen some use it with or without the stock HID low beams and i dont think it looks bad at all.

i think its safe to say that we are far beyond the days of "if its bluer, it must be better".

i would recomend you guys do a search in the C6 sections and you will see regret from some who have gone down this path. most complaints were that the fogs had become a harsh and annoying source of light scattered about.

no offense to the OP whatsoever and i applaud his effort, but i think if we need to make it a sticky, it should be one about what not to do
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
OneSickZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid that the fog lights would overlap with the headlights and create too much light in the middle.

I'm so glad I was wrong! The fog lights have great spread and they compliment the headlights very well. The HIDs light up the sides really well too. I took the car for a drive after the install and I could easily drive with just the fogs on.

Btw, I noticed that my car blinks the fogs when I turn it off. Anyone else notice this?
That is usually a ballast problem. Could even be the bulb. Use them for a week or two and see if it smoothes itself out. If not have the ballasts checked.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Me likey...great mod. Should help on curvy roads at night where the lo-beam cutoff leaves blind spots.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Does this help or hinder in fog? Or is this just more light like all those drivers who driver with their fog lights on 100% of the time. Honestly, is this an improvement or just rice? Just looking for the truth.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Zilicious:
YES there is a difference in the color temperature. The 6kK fog lights are noticeably whiter bordering on blue. The stock lights are 4300K and almost look yellowish compared to the fogs. They dont look bad IMO but if you want to match the stock headlamps, go for 4300K.

427Z: You're probably right. I am may be over-doing it and I may have heat issues or other issues. Its a risk I'm personally willing to take but I may not have disclosed this in the thread. I'll go ahead and edit my original post. Its a good point you make, this isnt an OEM swap.
I thought the stock foglights were too weak to be of any use so I decided to put in something with a little extra kick to it
Thanks!

OneSickZ06:
That was just what I thought it'd look like. I didn't know how the reflectors would work with the HID light. The outcome was far better than I expected so there is no problem
Old 02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pwoolford
Great...one more thing that I didn't know I needed until reading this!

Great write up!

Well said !!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Does this help or hinder in fog? Or is this just more light like all those drivers who driver with their fog lights on 100% of the time. Honestly, is this an improvement or just rice? Just looking for the truth.
With the HIDs, your fog lights are no longer fog lights.
They are driving lights.

Driving in fog with them on will likely be very tough as light will scatter everywhere making the fog thicker.

Last night, I noticed a clear improvement in the amount of usable light on the road.

If you put in 12k purple lights, it'd be just for show, but I consider this to be a functional mod. I cant stand ricers. Rice is the LAST thing I want someone to call my car.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Since they don't have 4300K, I am assuming thier 4500K will be a close enough match to the stock HID head lights. Or, I can look elsewhere to get the exact matching color temp (4300K) of the HID head lamps.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zlicious
Since they don't have 4300K, I am assuming thier 4500K will be a close enough match to the stock HID head lights. Or, I can look elsewhere to get the exact matching color temp (4300K) of the HID head lamps.
I highly doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the two. I say go for it.

Make sure you pay attention to the kit quality. Some illegal after market kits have actually BURNT UP and they pose a fire hazard.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

I highly doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the two. I say go for it.

Make sure you pay attention to the kit quality. Some illegal after market kits have actually BURNT UP and they pose a fire hazard.
Thanks a lot for all of your time and prompt responses. You have been great..

I will be placing my order soon.

Apexcone 55W
H10

Old 02-21-2008, 04:52 PM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Have/will they trigger any codes/problems.If they do there is an extra cost relay to the battery terminals in the engine compartment. I assume would have to buy two of them at @$30 a piece. I would like not to have to do that.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 38 Years Later
Has anyone had these on their car over a year or so? I want a set but I have some concern about melting lights. I've had promlems in the past with a previous car and scorched foglights due to a HID system that was installed. I want to know more about long term usage.
I've had these in for just over a year now. I love them. The only thing is I had to lower them because I was constantly getting the brights from oncoming traffic. Seems people think my brights are on with these. They match the headlights about perfect in color, & are MUCH more useful then the useless stock fogs.

I'm not sure if I got these EXACT ones, as I got them from ebay quite awhile ago. Install was simple once I figured it out....

There was a long thread about this back in late 06 or early 07...

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To HID Foglights: DIY with pics.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics look great. I went with Hoen H10 Xenon fog lamps, as they came recommended by another forum member. They are much closer in color to the HID lowbeams than the factory foglamp bulbs and are a plug and play swap. If I ever decide to go with HID's though I sure know where to look!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:57 PM
jan eric
Burning Brakes

Received my set; H10 bulb,45000 k ,55 watt unit today. My Apexcone has the ballast combined in one unit with the transformer. Were the "glue pads" enough to securely hold the transformer to the housing without additional screws in your opinion? How can you "aim" these bulbs?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jan eric
Received my set; H10 bulb,45000 k ,55 watt unit today. My Apexcone has the ballast combined in one unit with the transformer. Were the "glue pads" enough to securely hold the transformer to the housing without additional screws in your opinion? How can you "aim" these bulbs?
I just used duct tape to hold it in place. NO problems. Double sided tape or industrial velcro would work also.
There IS one screw in there that aims them up or down...Take a REAL good look in there & you'll find it. I think it's hidden & accessed from the bottom, if I remember correctly. I think it needed a torx or allan key, but I don't honestly remember.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Quick Reply: [Z06] HID Foglights: DIY with pics.