Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 with fixed glass top

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Default I can't believe this thread lived this long

First of all, thanks to all who remained interested.

Sorry I did not get back will ya'll sooner, as I had sold the car a while back, and was too preoccupied with work among other personal matters and did not visit the Forum much, until I recently I ordered a C7.

As far as the top holding up, yes for the year or so owned it after I modded the top, it held up quite nicely, no cracks, leaks or any other issues that I could see. My understanding is the car has changed hands again since I sold it, and is presently owned by someone in Georgia. If any of you know who this person is (this car should not be too hard to track down if one wants to), I'm curious to know how everything else is doing with it. I also would like to sell him the original top and hood, if he's interested.

Last edited by zhopper05; 07-29-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05
First of all, thanks to all who remained interested.

Sorry I did not get back will ya'll sooner, as I had sold the car a while back, and was too preoccupied with work among other personal matters and did not visit the Forum much, until I recently I ordered a C7.

As far as the top holing up, yes for the year or so owned it after I modded the top, it held up quite nicely, no cracks, leaks or any other issues that I could see. My understanding is the car has changed hands again since I sold it, and is presently owned by someone in Georgia. If any of you know who this person is (this car should not be too hard to track down if one wants to), I'm curious to know how everything else is doing with it. I also would like to sell him the original top and hood, if he's interested.
I don't know the current owner (I am from the Netherlands), but I am interested in how the car is doing as well!
Good that you are back again.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 03-14-2014, 03:39 AM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

this is something I was always curious about the feasibility of, but for whatever reasons, it never seems to have caught on much as far as customizing. lots of low-miles used C6 Z06 out there. personally, I think a fixed glass roof would look great and give a more open feeling to the cockpit.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:04 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by o2baZR1
this is something I was always curious about the feasibility of, but for whatever reasons, it never seems to have caught on much as far as customizing. lots of low-miles used C6 Z06 out there. personally, I think a fixed glass roof would look great and give a more open feeling to the cockpit.
It does. Before I had my Z06, I had a 2006 coupe that had the transparent roof. The painted roof never went on it. In the extreme heat of summer, it was nice to be able to leave the roof on yet still have some sense of openness.

Still tempted to do that to mine. But not sure I want to go to the expense.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:33 PM
scubastevedds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever happened with this? How come astrotops never offered this?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:20 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 385 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenchican
uhm... Ok. So you know more about engineering stresses than all of GM?I'm not knocking you... Well maybe, but I hope it works out for you. Something I definately would not try myself.
As i understand it the z06 has a fixed roof because of stress. Was this addressed somehow? Convertables are reworked and added weight isut on. Just saying
Old 09-07-2016, 10:20 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Hmmm. I have wasted so much money on T-top, targa top, an moon roof cars in my life to never ever open or remove them. I like my fixed top. Just saying. Variety makes the world go round.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:55 PM
z081V
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A local dealership has your car for sale. When did you get the lingenfelter work done, I'm assuming its the 630hp package? Did they put the "mild to wild" exhaust in too? What else can you tell me about the car?
Old 09-23-2023, 10:51 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

the original hard tops add absolutely no structure strength to these cars. its all in the outside frame around it. the tops were actually blowing off these cars on the highway back in 06
Old 09-23-2023, 10:53 AM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

wow this post is old as dirt.....i just saw it now lol
Old 11-15-2023, 01:10 PM
d_bone
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

How is the fixed roof attached to the windshield in front? I wonder how much rigidity increases by bolting it in, vs the base/GS latching in? I know removing it completely loses rigidity, but if the latches are designed correctly, they should be very close to the same rigidity as bolted in... It would be nice (IMO at least!), if you could switch between the normal bolted in roof (or bolted in transparent top roof), and switch to ONLY the magnesium frame - keeping the rigidity, but having the center completely open.... Or even if were still bolted in place, modifying the headliner so that just those bolts were accessible, similar to how the top is removed in the C4. So instead of simply removing the top, always having the magnesium frame in place, but switch between the magnesium frame with no roof skin with center section open, and the magnesium frame with the roof skin....
Old 11-15-2023, 04:44 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by d_bone
How is the fixed roof attached to the windshield in front? I wonder how much rigidity increases by bolting it in, vs the base/GS latching in? I know removing it completely loses rigidity, but if the latches are designed correctly, they should be very close to the same rigidity as bolted in... It would be nice (IMO at least!), if you could switch between the normal bolted in roof (or bolted in transparent top roof), and switch to ONLY the magnesium frame - keeping the rigidity, but having the center completely open.... Or even if were still bolted in place, modifying the headliner so that just those bolts were accessible, similar to how the top is removed in the C4. So instead of simply removing the top, always having the magnesium frame in place, but switch between the magnesium frame with no roof skin with center section open, and the magnesium frame with the roof skin....
Actually, no. There is a shearing possibility with the latches, which isn't an issue with the steel framed cars. The fixed roof has welded brackets with through-holes where bolts are attached. The issue with with the aluminum frames in the C6 Z06 and ZR1. They aren't as rigid as the steel frames nor as the aluminum frames in the C7.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 with fixed glass top