Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Q: Has anyone Ever had a Warranty claim Denied due to an After-Market Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:12 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Q: Has anyone Ever had a Warranty claim Denied due to an After-Market Intake?

Either CAI or other.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Daylon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of one!
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to take mine in on Monday to get a new valve cover gasket put on (leaking oil). I asked about CAI's and headers and the service manager told me that anything that affects emission control will void it. I took my killer bee off and put the stock air box yesterday just in case he's actually right but the CAI suprised me when he said it would void it.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

My dealer said it wouldnt.

Your mileage may vary. ;-)
Old 03-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If your warranty clain has nothing to do with the mod, or cannot be linked to the mod...they cannot deny the warranty coverage. i, CAI and broken rocker arm have nothing in common.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
asian-winkie
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RamonaC5
If your warranty clain has nothing to do with the mod, or cannot be linked to the mod...they cannot deny the warranty coverage. i, CAI and broken rocker arm have nothing in common.
this is true but if you have a good relationship with your dealership, you can avoid a nasty battle with them. Remember they make money off of your warranty repair
Old 03-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

We've never heard of a warranty being denied in over 10 years due to an intake system.

Our Killer Bee is not C.A.R.B. or smog legal yet, since it does not have the hydrocarbon traps. We are in the process of getting and EO #, but that last thing we want is C.A.R.B. Certification, and to have the paper traps come unglued and get sucked into the MAF sensor the way the stock units do.

We do, however, have the only ISO 5011 Certified filter on the market, with C.A.R.B. approval in the works, and sell hundreds of Killer Bee intakes to GM dealers all over the country and overseas.

You warranty rights are protected by Federal Law, "Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))" The full Act:

http://www.corvettels7.com/MAGNUSON%...ANTY%20ACT.pdf

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
MSC6
Pro

Originally Posted by walterm32
I have to take mine in on Monday to get a new valve cover gasket put on (leaking oil). I asked about CAI's and headers and the service manager told me that anything that affects emission control will void it. I took my killer bee off and put the stock air box yesterday just in case he's actually right but the CAI suprised me when he said it would void it.
What dealer was this ?
Old 03-22-2008, 12:57 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

I don't think the DEALER has the authority to void anything. It is the GM factory rep that decides, or has the authority to do that. The dealer should be working for YOU as you have elected to give him your business. Why would anyone take their vehicle to some idiot who doesn't want to help you or even do the work in the first place...??
Grant
Old 03-22-2008, 01:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 03-22-2008, 01:35 PM
walterm32
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MSC6
What dealer was this ?
Oursiman Chevrolet in Bowie MD. Like I said it suprised me when he said a cold air intake would but its so easy to swap I did it just in case.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:42 PM
vdshenoy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Refer to Magnusson Moss (sp?) Act - it's illegal for them to deny all warranty because of one aftermarket part. They can deny the warranty only if they can directly link the problem to the aftermarket part.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:53 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I don't think the DEALER has the authority to void anything. It is the GM factory rep that decides, or has the authority to do that. The dealer should be working for YOU as you have elected to give him your business. Why would anyone take their vehicle to some idiot who doesn't want to help you or even do the work in the first place...??
Grant
Dealers have a lot of discretion when it comes to warranty claims.

It makes sense for a dealer to want to deny a warranty, it means more money for them.

augydog
Old 03-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Frenchican
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My warranty claim was denied for headers and high flow cats. Car went in for a detonated piston. In the end it was best since GM didn't have anything to do with the cracked liner and blown piston.

Just remember to keep the OEM exhaust handy if you have a major claim.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 PM
WFO
Drifting

Originally Posted by augydog
Dealers have a lot of discretion when it comes to warranty claims.

It makes sense for a dealer to want to deny a warranty, it means more money for them.

augydog
Huh? I'm confused..did he say that?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by WFO
Huh? I'm confused..did he say that?
Yes, what that means is YOU pay the dealer for the parts and labor.

If the repair is done under warranty, the dealer gets a small percentage of the cost.

augydog
Old 03-22-2008, 09:01 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by augydog
Yes, what that means is YOU pay the dealer for the parts and labor.

If the repair is done under warranty, the dealer gets a small percentage of the cost.

augydog
I gotta agree with you there Aug but that isn't the kind of dealer you want working on your car. I mean lets face it, you PAID for your warranty when you bought your vehicle and for somebody to deny your warranty so they can get more money out of YOU is about as close to theft as you can get...
Grant

Get notified of new replies

To Q: Has anyone Ever had a Warranty claim Denied due to an After-Market Intake?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:01 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

This should be on snopes !

Dont think i have ever heard of one
Old 03-22-2008, 09:26 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I gotta agree with you there Aug but that isn't the kind of dealer you want working on your car. I mean lets face it, you PAID for your warranty when you bought your vehicle and for somebody to deny your warranty so they can get more money out of YOU is about as close to theft as you can get...
Grant

I'm saying if you bring in your car factory stock, and its under warranty, and it has a problem with the engine, tranny, diff, yes the dealer will fix it under warranty.

If you bring in your modded car with engine, tranny, diff, problems, and the car has headers, intake, 160 t-stat, tune, etc, the dealer could fix it under warranty, or deny the warranty.

Its up to the individual dealer. I'll guarantee you GM will back them 100%.

augydog

Last edited by augydog; 03-22-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by walterm32
Oursiman Chevrolet in Bowie MD. Like I said it suprised me when he said a cold air intake would but its so easy to swap I did it just in case.
This is my dealer, and I know both the General Manager and Service Manager very well. In fact, I consider them friends, and they are good people.

My guess is he was answering your question, hypothetically. You asked about headers and CAI, which also usually means a tune. Obviously, it is GM who makes those decisions, not the dealer. It is not an issue until there is a failure of some sort. That is when the debate begins, and what he was telling you is that those things COULD affect your warranty depending on the failure and what you had done to the car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Q: Has anyone Ever had a Warranty claim Denied due to an After-Market Intake?