Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 03-25-2015, 06:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

[Z06] Definitive Visor Warning Label Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Definitive Visor Warning Label Removal

Forum members, I know there have been several threads on this, but after reading all of them, and now removing 9 warning labels from 4 cars (my wife's Durango had two on the driver's visor) I can now give definitive guidance. I have done both, in-car removal (the Z06, because I couldn't figure out how to remove the visors without damage) and in the house after removal from the car. Clearly, it is easier if you can remove the visors, in all my other cars there were 2 or 3 screws and a wire connector per visor and doing the job on the kitchen counter was much easier, but I did the Z06 last in the car with the same results. Here's the procedure:
Tools: hair dryer, very sharp small knife (I used a Swiss Army knife), Goo Gone, clean cotton towel, small stiff brush (I used a plastic fingernail brush).
Steps:
1. heat up the label with the hair dryer. do this carefully because the polyester fabric can burn/melt, the hotter the better on the label though because more of the glue comes off with the label the hotter it is. This took 3-5 minutes to heat up the label sufficiently, with the hair dryer about 1 inch from the label.
2. with the knife, scrape up one of the corners carefully, while running the dryer on the label, if it is hot enough, the corner should come up a little bit. Grip the corner with your fingers and continue slowly pulling the label away from the visor, again while keeping the hair dryer aimed at the label.
3. the label should pull away fairly easily, but keep the dryer aimed at the portion of the label that is still attached to the visor. Once it's off it's off.
4. now, what you will see is a slight indentation in the fabric and a very thin film/sheen of glue in the outline of where the label had been.
5. dab on a liberal amount of the Goo Gone in the indentation. don't use enough to drip, but paint it on well.
6. carefully, heat up the area where the Goo Gone is with the hair dryer. this should be quite warm, but not too hot.
7. wipe away the Goo Gone and glue with the towel, scrub the visor with the towel well, pulling the towel back and forth, up and down. I found that it should only take one application, but if you still have a bit of glue, do it lightly again.
8. Last, heat up the visor once more, and take your brush and brush the whole visor up and down, back and forth and in circular motions. This should raise all the fibers such that the indentation disappears.
9. You should be done. Leave the windows open so the Goo Gone smell will get ventilated out.

This took about 10 minutes per label, it wasn't messy, difficult or dangerous to the visor or car interior. It looks so much better, and the visor looks completely consistent, the area where the labels were are completely invisible. Do it!

Good luck--
Ed
The following users liked this post:
z06clif (11-03-2015)
Old 03-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Hatdude
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may actually try this.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Default Been There Ruined that.......

Ed, thats great your having success removing the stickers on a Z06. I tried removing them and ruined both visors and the rear view mirror with the product goofoff and will never attempt this again. If you want to try this I would be very very careful with goofoff as it will damage some plastics(says on the product label). Googone is a much better bet if you attempt it. Greg
Old 03-30-2008, 08:05 PM
back 40
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

I just stuck a black label with the c-6 flags on it, looks great, took all of 2 minutes.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Excellent information on removal.

I don't have a problem with mine, so I'll leave them for the next owner

augydog
Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by back 40
I just stuck a black label with the c-6 flags on it, looks great, took all of 2 minutes.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by Torched
Ed, thats great your having success removing the stickers on a Z06. I tried removing them and ruined both visors and the rear view mirror with the product goofoff and will never attempt this again. If you want to try this I would be very very careful with goofoff as it will damage some plastics(says on the product label). Googone is a much better bet if you attempt it. Greg
Greg, your original post is what motivated me to do the research and get this done without the unfortunate results that you ended up with. Goo Gone is not a strong solvent like Goof Off, so it did the job without the risk of damage. Additionally, the heat of the hair dryer makes a huge difference. Once hot, the label just peels right off. I'm sorry you had the trouble you did, but at least one reader (me) took your comments to heart and learned from your experience.
--Ed
Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ravine Speed
Greg, your original post is what motivated me to do the research and get this done without the unfortunate results that you ended up with. Goo Gone is not a strong solvent like Goof Off, so it did the job without the risk of damage. Additionally, the heat of the hair dryer makes a huge difference. Once hot, the label just peels right off. I'm sorry you had the trouble you did, but at least one reader (me) took your comments to heart and learned from your experience.
--Ed
Ed that's what makes this forum such a valuable resource. I'm glad you posted the"how to" and maybe nobody else will do such a stupid thing as what I did. Good news just sold my old visors in the parts for sale section.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 PM
9secz
Pro

Thanks for the post, Ed! There was a similar post on a Porsche board that motivated me to successfully remove the stickers from my 911. I will attack the driver's side Vette visor after work tomorrow.

BTW, per the shop manual, by design you cannot remove the visor without damaging the "inner bezel". The manual states that the inner bezel must be replaced. Maybe GM wanted to make lable removal a bit harder?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Thanks for the info, I'm on the fence about this.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
rubyc6
Racer

Originally Posted by back 40
Can you tell me exactly what kind of label you used to cover up with? I also heard there was something you could buy to cover them up too. Anyone know?

We would like to either get rid of ours or cover them up.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 PM
eeagle
Racer

Originally Posted by rubyc6
Can you tell me exactly what kind of label you used to cover up with? I also heard there was something you could buy to cover them up too. Anyone know?

We would like to either get rid of ours or cover them up.

Thanks in advance!
Check out this thread....RPI Designs has your solution.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=visor+decals
Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

--Ed
This did not work for me and many others as I have been following these threads for 3 yrs. I am not sure how any solvent removes what’s left behind because it's a heat based adhesive and is not removed by solvents, maybe you got lucky but most are left with a ghost.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Default I did it successfully on 4 cars (8 visors)

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
This did not work for me and many others as I have been following these threads for 3 yrs. I am not sure how any solvent removes what’s left behind because it's a heat based adhesive and is not removed by solvents, maybe you got lucky but most are left with a ghost.
I'm sorry this didn't work for you, and quite surprised, if followed exactly. It may be a heat-based adhesive, true, but I used the hair dryer to warm up the label until it was quite hot, and when the label was removed, there was only a very, very faint "ghost" as you call it, which was primarily the indentation of the fabric fibers where the label had been. Again heating up this spot and applying a bit of Goo Gone and brushing the area back and forth and up and down completely eliminated the indentation and any glue residue. It is completely invisible on all the visors I did. I think the heat and the brush do the the trick.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:40 AM
nvr2muchboost
Advanced

5. dab on a liberal amount of the Goo Gone in the indentation. don't use enough to drip, but paint it on well.
Ed - in this step - when you mentioned 'paint it on' - is that taking a small clean brush and literally painting the Goo Gone on - or is it taking a terry towel (or similar) and applying it lightly?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Much easier to just cover them with a visor label cover kit from corvettecentral or Ecklers. That's what I did for about $14.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:32 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I had no luck with the vinyl decals over the warning labels... go from a cool garage to summer heat and they curl right up at the edges...

Get notified of new replies

To Definitive Visor Warning Label Removal

Old 04-25-2010, 04:52 PM
nvr2muchboost
Advanced

Played around with it and figured it out.

Technique worked flawlessly on my 09 Z - a little more scrubbing with the fingernail brush and heating to get the fibers back in place than I thought - but the end results was great - no ghosts, glue, or damage to the visor.

Gloves helped a bit as that hairdryer gets damn hot!

Car smells like a big orange due to the Goo Gone - hopefully that will ventilate out

Last edited by nvr2muchboost; 04-25-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:00 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh Oh...now someone is going to take the next step and remove the do not remove tabs from pillows and furniture.....you could all end up in prison .........OK I'm kidding Great post and good info here....thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
A-Z
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nvr2muchboost
Played around with it and figured it out.

Technique worked flawlessly on my 09 Z - a little more scrubbing with the fingernail brush and heating to get the fibers back in place than I thought - but the end results was great - no ghosts, glue, or damage to the visor.

Gloves helped a bit as that hairdryer gets damn hot!

Car smells like a big orange due to the Goo Gone - hopefully that will ventilate out
Thanks for the info/update. I've added this to my "to do" list for my '09. Hate those decals.

Andy

Quick Reply: [Z06] Definitive Visor Warning Label Removal