Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 broken rocker arm needle bearings issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had this happen to me yesterday when my builder was getting ready for a cam/heads upgrade. Read multiple threads, but no one seems to answer this...

Can someone please just confirm the following questions.

Does the motor need to be torn apart to look for the needle bearings..???
OR
Just replace the trunnions (which I am) and leave it be and wait for the bearings to be collected in the magnet/filter??
Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 AM
fm1alpine
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
Just had this happen to me yesterday when my builder was getting ready for a cam/heads upgrade. Read multiple threads, but no one seems to answer this...

OR
Just replace the trunnions (which I am) and leave it be and wait for the bearings to be collected in the magnet/filter??
just wait for the needle bearings to be picked up by the magnetic plug. mine failed at 4k miles, 18k on it now.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 AM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

OR
Happened to me several years ago in my 07Z. Work at dealership so I insisted that oil pan be dropped to find missing bearings. The bearings get trapped in the screen of oil pickup. There is no way they can get into motor and do damage that I or anyone else at dealership could see. The screen would have to fall out of pickup for anything to happen. Chevy rep said this to me before tear down but I didnt believe him. Dealership did tear down on there dime to appease me. You should be fine. only one rocker failed but they replaced them all. Katech says factory rockers are fine.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:11 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KEEP IT COMING GUYS!!!.. thanks.. SAVING me a ton of money here based on your responses..
Old 04-25-2014, 11:08 AM
ILS07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This topic has been on my mind a lot this week. I bought my first Vette a month ago, a 2007 Z06, and as of this morning it has 6,548 miles on it (I've driven it just about every day since I bought it). I don't have the engine build date, but the car build date is 07/02, and the "chatter" coming from under the hood is quite pronounced. I know LS engines make noise, but I've ridden motorcycles with lashed valve trains that are quieter than the LS7.

I haven't pulled my valve covers yet (partially out of fear of what I'll find), but I'm ordering a set of CHE rockers today, even if it turns out my car isn't a member of the NSC (Needle Spitting Club). New GM rockers may be perfectly fine to use, but since my car is way out of warranty and is pretty much brand new mechanically, I'd rather go the extra mile and use a part that many forum members are happy with.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Eddie1941
Heel & Toe

Default broken rocker arms

You can change your oil and the bearings will be stuck to oil pan plug. Yours is in the time frame of the bad ones.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:46 PM
ILS07
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eddie1941
You can change your oil and the bearings will be stuck to oil pan plug. Yours is in the time frame of the bad ones.
I had the dealer change the oil when I bought it a month ago, but I've had some minor problems with their service department in the past with my Silverado, so I'm not positive that no needles came out at the time. I won't be able to change the oil myself until next weekend since I'm finishing moving this weekend and most of next week. I still don't want to chance anything since any future repairs will come out of my pocket, so I'm going to change out the rockers regardless.

Plus, until I get the Akrapovic exhaust bolted on, I wouldn't mind having the quieter valve train that the CHE rockers have been said to provide.

-EDIT-

I was aware of some of the other things...flying roofs, T-6060 upgrade the following year...but I wasn't aware of the valve train issues until a couple of weeks ago when browsing the forum. I guess I didn't study hard enough before buying. Live and learn, then Lingenfelter.

Last edited by ILS07; 04-25-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Eddie1941
Heel & Toe

Default rocker arms

OR
I just left mine and drain plug got them. I think GM knew so thats the reason for the magnet drain plug.

Last edited by Eddie1941; 04-25-2014 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-17-2014, 06:31 AM
2008 Z-06
Cruising

Had Dealer in Quincy IL send Rocker Rollers to Harland Sharp( Early 2008) for rebuild..Found needle bearings on Plug for about 3-5 more oil changes...non now...Car has over 60000 miles ...More later Love the GM fix.."FIX ONLY THE ONES THAT ARE MISSING" not replace the whole thing... NO WONDER!!! GO TO WWW. HARLAND SHARP.com

Last edited by 2008 Z-06; 05-17-2014 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 broken rocker arm needle bearings issue