Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stock vs B&B Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM
LinoRod
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Z06 w/B&B Fusion/Callaway Honker on Dyno

I haven't had them long enough to make a final decision, but they sound AWESOME opened up. Drone is almost unbearable with open exhaust at low revs/high gear, not as bad with the flaps closed. I will probably stick to computer control on the flaps for a while. Still great to be able to open them up to show them off though. All these drone issues really only apply with the windows closed. With the windows open, Drone is not nearly that bad an issue.

Here's a link to my Dyno run with the B&B Fusions, Callaway Honker, Ported Intake manifold and Tune by Jeremy Formato:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-_-sgf5ZQ

I ended up with 484 HP at the wheels, 444 lbft of Torque.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Bill's ZO6
Racer

I added the exhaust switch first and that wasn't enough sound (music).
Second, I added LG longtube headers and high flow cats. The sound was better, but not quite the music that I wanted.
Third, I added BB Fusion mufflers almost a year and a half ago.
Perfect music.
I would defintely do it again. It was well worth the money. If you don't want a louder car, then don't make the changes. Yes it is louder, but with the switch you can turn the volume much lower.
I am very pleased with all of the changes. I know that many people are happy with their after market exhausts, but fusions give you the option to drive the car in a funeral procession and then take it to the local speed shop on the way home and announce your arrival.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

With the butterflies closed is it nice and quiet - - no drone? When they are open, I'm fine with it "howling", especially when I'm "on it".
Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill's ZO6
Second, I added LG longtube headers and high flow cats. The sound was better, but not quite the music that I wanted.
Perfect music.
I would defintely do it again. It was well worth the money. If you don't want a louder car, then don't make the changes. Yes it is louder, but with the switch you can turn the volume much lower.
I am very pleased with all of the changes. I know that many people are happy with their after market exhausts, but fusions give you the option to drive the car in a funeral procession and then take it to the local speed shop on the way home and announce your arrival.

There is a big difference between loud and drone. Drone is like having the 125HZ **** on a grahpic equalizer jacked up to +20db. If they didn't drone, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited by Turbooo2u; 07-01-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Blue by U
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill's ZO6
Perfect music.

Sounds like what I have been looking for! Are the Fusions considered a straight through muffler? How do they compare with stock as far as WEIGHT?
Thanks.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue by U
Sounds like what I have been looking for! Are the Fusions considered a straight through muffler? How do they compare with stock as far as WEIGHT?
Thanks.
i'm curious too.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:09 PM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I think the Fusions are 5 pounds lighter each muffler for a total of 10 pounds.

When I ship Fusion systems they weigh 56-57 pounds in the box with all the packing.

When I have shipped stock Z06 muffletrs in the same box with the same packing the box weighed 66 pounds.

Not all that scientific but give a small reference to a weight savings.

I will weigh my set when I take them off next week and post the actual weight of each muffler.

The Fusions are straight through when in open mode, and go through another section in the muffler when in closed mode.

Ben
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add another data point...

Added the Fusions to my '08 Z06 and they sounded a good bit louder, valves open or closed. Around town with the windows down was fine, but on the fwy with them up was annoying as it droned between 60-80 MPH even with the valves closed.

I wound up adding a PRT center section to try & eliminate the drone. It worked, and has almost no drone now & is only a few dB louder than stock with the valves closed. Open still sounds great. Problem was the fit was not perfect, and the PRT center has flanges that hit the tunnel plate, so I've been having a heck of a time grinding them down & adding extra bump stops to limit exhaust movement to prevent them from hitting & banging the plate.

Also, one of my valves in the Fusion would stick part way closed. Easy fix though, as the vacuum diaphragm & linkage was binding, so I opened the valve assembly, cleaned & lubed it up, and closed it with everything properly lined up.

There are also 2 generations of Fusions out there... Gen 1 was very quiet with valves closed & almost no drone. Gen 2 is louder and drones period.

I will say the sound is pretty much perfect for me now, as I just wanted a better tone around town & a nice growl with the valves open. Just cost me some $$ to get it.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I have the Fusions on my own 08 Z06. Everyone's tastes are different, but this is my take.

Overall exhaust note is a little bit deeper, you can hear more of the camshaft coming through the exhaust. The beauty of the polished exhaust is simply stunning. At idle the Fusions are a bit louder than stock and at WOT they are quite a bit louder than stock.

I did not notice any significant drone on my car on the freeway, but I don't make a daily freeway commute. I am also used to louder exhausts and will probably put headers on the car to make it a little bit louder.

When I pull the fuse or manually switch the Fusions open on the freeway, the drone is unbearable for me. So the valves make a HUGE difference. This is why the Fusion is our #1 seller.

I think 4wheels was the first guy in the country to try Fusions with a PRT center section (thanks again for your purchase!) so there are different options for guys who either want their exhaust quieter after installation or louder after installation.

Here's a link to our Fusion page on the website, there are a couple of reviews there that you guys might find relevant.

http://www.mphparts.com/prod/43-FCOR-0466.html
Old 07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
LinoRod
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 4wheels
Just to add another data point...

Added the Fusions to my '08 Z06 and they sounded a good bit louder, valves open or closed. Around town with the windows down was fine, but on the fwy with them up was annoying as it droned between 60-80 MPH even with the valves closed.

I wound up adding a PRT center section to try & eliminate the drone. It worked, and has almost no drone now & is only a few dB louder than stock with the valves closed. Open still sounds great. Problem was the fit was not perfect, and the PRT center has flanges that hit the tunnel plate, so I've been having a heck of a time grinding them down & adding extra bump stops to limit exhaust movement to prevent them from hitting & banging the plate.

Also, one of my valves in the Fusion would stick part way closed. Easy fix though, as the vacuum diaphragm & linkage was binding, so I opened the valve assembly, cleaned & lubed it up, and closed it with everything properly lined up.

There are also 2 generations of Fusions out there... Gen 1 was very quiet with valves closed & almost no drone. Gen 2 is louder and drones period.

I will say the sound is pretty much perfect for me now, as I just wanted a better tone around town & a nice growl with the valves open. Just cost me some $$ to get it.
I just got of the phone w/B&B and they assured me that if you want to eliminate virtually ALL of the drone, an X-Pipe will do the trick. It should eliminate that last bit of drone even with the flaps closed.

Last edited by LinoRod; 07-02-2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: got more info
Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by LinoRod
I just got of the phone w/B&B and they assured me that if you want to eliminate virtually ALL of the drone, an X-Pipe will do the trick. It should eliminate that last bit of drone even with the flaps closed.
Probably a silly question, but did they recommend a particular x-pipe?
I'd guess theirs. Could you tell me who you talked to? PM me if you're hesitant to name names in public.

Thanks!

Barney
Old 07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
LinoRod
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by BarneyZ
Probably a silly question, but did they recommend a particular x-pipe?
I'd guess theirs. Could you tell me who you talked to? PM me if you're hesitant to name names in public.

Thanks!

Barney
I didn't get a name, however he didn't push his x-pipe in particular. I too am now in the hunt for a combo x-pipe header high flow cat setup.

I was going to try just an x-pipe, but noticed right off that, for instance, LG as a setup that includes x-pipe and high flow cats that can be changed to straight pipes. If you were to get just an x-pipe, it may limit a future upgrade to a particular header.

The search is on for the best combo. Any suggestion from anybody else?
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Corsa makes an xpipe for the Z06, their part # 14173. Still checking it out. See it at :

http://www.lmperformance.com/7667/74.html

Don't know the dealer.

Barney
Old 07-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We sell the B&B X-Pipe made specifically to mate to your Z06 and Fusion. It is special order but we've sold a few. So far customers are happy with the exhaust note change. The way exhaust gasses pulse through the factory h-pipe is not conducive to the sound many people desire, although once again, with the valves closed (in my personal opinion) you don't hear much drone. Of course that's just my subjective opinion, and I'm used to louder exhaust notes than some.

This product is relatively new so we don't have a picture up for it yet but the link to the product on our site is here:

http://www.mphparts.com/prod/43-FCOR-0432.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stock vs B&B Fusion