Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] No FOB Detected message and horn beeps three times

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Coolvet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No FOB Detected message and horn beeps three times

This is a known problem that GM has provided dealers with software to fix it. See he Bulleting below.

My problem is that I am in Australia (ain't no Chevy dealers here!) so I don't know how to get this software installed in my 08 Z06. Any suggestions on how to get my hands on the software fix and then how to install it?

Thanks. Here is the bulletin:
------------------------------------------------------------------
#PIC4642A: Occasional No Fob Detected Message On DIC Or Key In Reminder When Key Fob Outside Of Vehicle - keywords chime chirp horn no program RCDLR RKE transmitter - (Jan 14, 2008)

Occasional No Fob Detected Message on DIC or Key In Reminder When Key Fob Outside of Vehicle

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

2005-2008 Cadillac XLR and V-Series

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to add revised procedures that will recover the RCDLR when/if the RCDLR "Locks Up". Please discard PIC4642.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment of an occasional "No Fob Detected" message displayed on the DIC when the fob is located somewhere on the driver's seat. They also may comment that the fob reminder (3 horn honks) is heard when exiting the vehicle with the key fob. This is because the original RCDLR software does not adequately cover the driver's seat and it can also detect the fob when it is slightly outside of the driver's door. The new software will add a new zone to better cover the driver's seat, and it will also add a 2 second delay after the door closes before checking for the fob on the interior. This could affect all vehicles built prior to October 2007

Recommendation/Instructions:
Important: Prior to programming per the information below, the Radio and HVAC Fuses MUST be removed and the ignition must be in "Key On Engine Off Mode" The radio and HVAC fuses can be located in the BCM fuse block on the passengers floor electrical center. One of the fuses is labeled RDO/S'BAND/VICS and the other is labeled HVAC/PWR SND.

Program the RCDLR with revised software using TIS-2-WEB "Pass Through" method. When programming, it is required to select "Replace and Reprogram ECU".

Important: If the programming procedure does not finish successfully and the RCDLR appears to be in a "locked up" state do not turn off the ignition, follow the directions below...

The RCDLR can be reset by removing the RCDLR fuse (#11 in the UBEC) for at least 30 seconds or longer and then reinstalling it. Once this fuse is reinstalled in the UBEC, there will be a 2 minute window to restart the programming of the RCDLR through TIS2WEB. Failure to restart the programming of the RCDLR through TIS2WEB within 2 minutes may cause programming to fail and this procedure will need to be repeated. It is recommended that the Tech 2 remain connected to the vehicle and that the TIS2WEB application is open and ready to program the vehicle prior to reinstalling RCDLR fuse #11 into the UBEC.

Use Labor Operation Number R9723 with a Labor Time of 0.4

Please Note the following two items:: DO NOT REPLACE THE MODULE - JUST REPROGRAM IT. ALSO FOB PROGRAMMING AND TPM LEARN IS NOT REQUIRED.

For Model years 2005-2007, use software version 25927325.

For Model Year 2008, use software version 25927326
Old 07-12-2008, 12:06 AM
eeagle
Racer

How often does this occur; i.e. how big a problem is it? My car did that two or three times, but that was over a year ago, and it hasn't happend since. I realized that in each case it happened after I shut the car off, stepped out (to refuel the car), then leaned back in through my still open door to grab something from the console. I concluded it had something to do with the car detecting me leaning on the seat but not detecting the fob.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 AM
songman3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need access to GM Tech 11 scanner and updated software if you want to reprogram

Can Performax International in Gympie, Queensland not help you?

http://www.corvette.com.au/
Old 07-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Coolvet
Racer

Originally Posted by eeagle
How often does this occur; i.e. how big a problem is it? My car did that two or three times, but that was over a year ago, and it hasn't happend since. I realized that in each case it happened after I shut the car off, stepped out (to refuel the car), then leaned back in through my still open door to grab something from the console. I concluded it had something to do with the car detecting me leaning on the seat but not detecting the fob.
It happens every time I get in or out of the car.

Originally Posted by songman3
You will need access to GM Tech 11 scanner and updated software if you want to reprogram

Can Performax International in Gympie, Queensland not help you?

http://www.corvette.com.au/
Maybe they can but they are 800 miles away from me. Can I buy that scanner? Where would I get the new software from?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 AM
LGR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Holden (GM) use tech 2's? They build the Pontiac G8's.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
nikondude1
Cruising

Just got back from dealer w/my 08' Z06 for this problem. They could not fix it or find anything from GM regarding it, even after I showed them this thread and they took down all the info. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:16 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Im in the same boat, now with both new batterys from GM and the fobs in the FOB HOLDER located in glove box, it starts only 1 out of 10 times.... any ideas on this issue?!

* located in fob holder wont start *
Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

I am starting to get this problem with my 08.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I re-programed the FOB per the owners manual and it seems to be working on one of the FOBS so we made some progress there atleast but the other fob is dead with the new battey * this fob has never been used except the first time the car was delivered, so I assumed it prob lost its programing, but this was not the case as when I went to program it I got the message " known FOB " "insert fob #3"... If anyone has more so insite on this let me know, all fuses are good and car battery is 3 months old with full charge...
Old 05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Venomm
I re-programed the FOB per the owners manual and it seems to be working on one of the FOBS so we made some progress there atleast but the other fob is dead with the new battey * this fob has never been used except the first time the car was delivered, so I assumed it prob lost its programing, but this was not the case as when I went to program it I got the message " known FOB " "insert fob #3"... If anyone has more so insite on this let me know, all fuses are good and car battery is 3 months old with full charge...
One time the fob fell out of my pocket on to the floor of my 2009 z06. When i got out of the car and shut the door and started to walk away the car beeped and flashed the lights at me 3 times. then i stepped back to look inside the car and saw the fob on the floor. Picked it up and the car behaved normally locking the doors etc. I thought it was pretty smart.

I programed the system to beep the horn once and lock the doors when you walk away.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 AM
My07C6
Racer

Im in the same boat, now with both new batterys from GM and the fobs in the FOB HOLDER located in glove box, it starts only 1 out of 10 times.... any ideas on this issue?!

* located in fob holder wont start *
Look at post #12

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...y-for-fob.html
Old 05-09-2010, 09:48 AM
ta-kid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try a new Battery in the fob first.Or even switch fobs and see if the issue continues.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:15 AM
azvetters
Pro

Default Fob # 3

[prob lost its programing, but this was not the case as when I went to program it I got the message " known FOB " "insert fob #3"... If anyone has more so insite}

When this happens, you need to do the long Programing, "search CCLIVE" Takes 30 min, but his direction are right on......
Old 05-09-2010, 07:26 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by My07C6
This might be the problem, both fobs back to not working state and I agree with post 12, walking up to your car in a parking lot and trying to open it was quite embarrassing to say the least today

Managed to get it open via trunk put the fob in it glove box holder and it started, Made it home 20 min later

Going now to get the new batterys with the smooth back, if this doesn work well give the "search CCLIVE" a try...

There were 3 other guys today I spoke with that are having this same issue, not corvette but GM Key Fobs...
Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
My07C6
Racer

This might be the problem, both fobs back to not working state and I agree with post 12, walking up to your car in a parking lot and trying to open it was quite embarrassing to say the least today

Managed to get it open via trunk put the fob in it glove box holder and it started, Made it home 20 min later

Going now to get the new batterys with the smooth back, if this doesn work well give the "search CCLIVE" a try...

There were 3 other guys today I spoke with that are having this same issue, not corvette but GM Key Fobs...
Let us know if that fixes your problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Swiftwater Z06
Racer

Default No FOB detected

Had this problem on a 2007 about a year ago. Capital Chevrolet in Austin diagnosed it right away. It was either the transmitter or receiver unit in the console - can't remember which one. It was replaced under warranty.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:03 PM
ez2spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

hmmmm my warranty expired in Jan I wonder if they will honor it or not if this is the case, I bought 2 more batteries and nothing, took it to the dealer and it worked fine when they were checking it, left got home and it was back again, so I made a trip back to the dealer * 20 min away * and it was working once again... so I made another appt to drop it off for them to check again... someone there said it could be radio frequency around where I live causing it to interfere with the fob but I have never had this problem till 2 weeks ago after owning the car almost a year...

Get notified of new replies

To No FOB Detected message and horn beeps three times

Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM
klasik-69
Racer

Never had any fob problems with our 07 convertible. Main battery was always dying out so I went to the dealer to get a warranty replacement. Dealers says the battery is fine but the fobs need to be reprogrammed (WTF ?) Tech writer insists they got a bulletin on it. So after 5 hours of waiting at the dealer, they give me back the car. The next day, battery is dead again. I told them I had charged the battery until I was blue in the face and it wouldn't hold a charge.

Tired of the waiting game, I buy a new battery and forget about a free warranty replacement. Car starts fine, no more problem. However, since those clowns reprogrammed the fobs, you step out of the car and the car honks 3 times, lights flash. Not every time, just some of the time. If the wife is in the car, and she gets out first before me, it honks. If I get out first, it honks. Sometimes, it doesn't honk at all. Sometimes you get in fine but when you go to start it, the DIC says no fob detected. Then a few seconds later, it seems to have found it. It never moved from my pocket. I know if I have the fob in my left pocket, it won't pick it up at all. So I change the batteries in the fobs, no difference, same crazy scenario. However, our 07 Z06 doesn't do any of this crap. And I sure as hell ain't letting the dealer touch the fobs on it either.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Every time my buddy shuts the door of his 07 Z , the car horn honks 3 times. He doesnt know what it is. Could this be the fob? He only bought the car a month ago and only has the 1 fob. No message on the DIC. ???
Old 08-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Rosspbig
Racer

I get this occasionally if the FOB is in my left pocket instead of my right. If its in my right pocket, no big deal.

Quick Reply: [Z06] No FOB Detected message and horn beeps three times