Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Mine is back in the shop for a second look. Now to see how GM is going to respond to this one. The mechanic drove the car and felt the notchy and semi grind with the trans warm, 45 minute ride to the dealer from work. It will sit overnight and I await the response in the AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
lorenzo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok i have been reluctant to speek up on this subject but here goe's

Lincoln nebraska has a population of around 260 thousand and it's small enough to keep track of all the Z06's here. So i was just at the local dealer and noticed they had just sold there only other black one like mine. When i asked who bought it the salesman told me and then went on to say that the car was in the shop already!! he said that the guy didn't even get home and the tranny went out. i asked what went wrong and his responce was that they replaced the whole thing because the syncronizers exploded. ??????????????

It is an 08 by the way.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TTT, Interesting
Old 11-24-2008, 09:11 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Ok.....

Just took the car in for service today. I rode with the mechanic, nice guy, and he noticed right away the reverse grind I was talking about. He also noted the notchy feel between 1-2 and 3rd gear. I asked and he replied that he has seen this before and that my isn't the first 08' with this problem. He will order new parts (synchro's, gears, etc) and replace them all. I also asked him to take a look at the clutch as he also noticed that it was "off" a bit.... slipped on occasions.

This is by far a 1 or 2 car issue..... and yet not all TR6060's have this issue..... Its a new trans and with new parts, new problems to deal with. Just the like roof's coming of the cars in 06 and now you never read of a 07-09 roof coming off. Give it sometime and be patient...

A.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:51 PM
MyToyC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here - I've got the grind in 2nd and 3rd, but only when it's cold. After the car warms up the problem is gone.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:30 PM
DriverMod44
Instructor

i have 2009 with 4000 miles on it and my 1st gear is grinding. im scared to loose the car to the dealer for a month so i am avoiding going at all costs. These things are P.O.S. and whats worse is the dealer cant fix them in a reasonable time. i know a few people that blew there transmissions and were in the dealer for over a month.

Last edited by DriverMod44; 11-24-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-24-2008, 10:34 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5 John
Hi Gang...My 08 Z has 550 miles on it now...When shifting fron 1-2nd I can feel some notchy shifting, not alot very slight, but it's there...When the temps are at operating temp, it seems to be gone...Now keep in mind I am in Florida, so it's never as cold as other parts of the country...

LT5 John
Old 11-25-2008, 11:45 AM
BenThere
Team Owner

Originally Posted by obzidian
Ok.....

Just took the car in for service today. I rode with the mechanic, nice guy, and he noticed right away the reverse grind I was talking about. He also noted the notchy feel between 1-2 and 3rd gear. I asked and he replied that he has seen this before and that my isn't the first 08' with this problem. He will order new parts (synchro's, gears, etc) and replace them all. I also asked him to take a look at the clutch as he also noticed that it was "off" a bit.... slipped on occasions.

This is by far a 1 or 2 car issue..... and yet not all TR6060's have this issue..... Its a new trans and with new parts, new problems to deal with. Just the like roof's coming of the cars in 06 and now you never read of a 07-09 roof coming off. Give it sometime and be patient...

A.
Looking forward to hearing how this works out for you.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:23 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what seems to be the problem once they get into the tranny and open it up?

I have an 08 with over 6,000 miles on it and it's alway shifted great, my 06 trans was a little notchy, I just changed the tranny fluid to Royal Purple and it now shifts smooth as butter, but I would still like to find out if there in one particular problem or ?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
I've got the grind in 2nd and 3rd, but only when it's cold. After the car warms up the problem is gone.
Try the RP ATF1
I have an 08 C-6 and It had the slow when cold, never pushed it to
grind. Just babied when cold with real easy shifts. Switched to Royal Purple ATF fluid. Some use the RP Syncromax. This was the RP ATF.
Problem got better. Now at 18k it is a much slicker tranny than any t-56. I should know as I had 4 of them in 4 Cars and 2 had to be dealer replaced, So I much prefer the tr-6060. That was the case for me.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by lorenzo
Ok i have been reluctant to speek up on this subject but here goe's

Lincoln nebraska has a population of around 260 thousand and it's small enough to keep track of all the Z06's here. So i was just at the local dealer and noticed they had just sold there only other black one like mine. When i asked who bought it the salesman told me and then went on to say that the car was in the shop already!! he said that the guy didn't even get home and the tranny went out. i asked what went wrong and his responce was that they replaced the whole thing because the syncronizers exploded. ??????????????

It is an 08 by the way.
I'm a lifetime Lincolnite until 2006 I now live in Oregon but still have 3 houses and a farm there. So I come back 3 times a year! Duteau and Husker both were great with there service with my stable of GM cars owned and serviced there.
Go Huskers!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverMod44
i have 2009 with 4000 miles on it and my 1st gear is grinding. im scared to loose the car to the dealer for a month so i am avoiding going at all costs. These things are P.O.S. and whats worse is the dealer cant fix them in a reasonable time. i know a few people that blew there transmissions and were in the dealer for over a month.
Can't you get them to confirm the problem, order the parts and then call you and have you bring it in when they arrive?

I'd be angling for that...

Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM
GotMoJo
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the cold grind problem as well. Waiting patiently for a TSB, that is of course after the bailout.

Last edited by GotMoJo; 11-26-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 PM
4wheels
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's likely that this is a manufacturing defect related issue. The new synchro design is probably more sensitive to clearance & surface finish variation. There could also be metallurgy issues, and even how the car is broken it. Batch to batch variation in manufacturing could explain why some cars do it and others don't. I bet that eventually they release updated synchro's & add some type of part stack up check process before assembly.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:20 PM
titleist731
Racer

any earlier 08's with this problem?
Old 11-27-2008, 07:12 AM
04Z16
Melting Slicks

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Default Dealer Update

Got my car back from a different dealer for a second opinion, felt like a doctors visit instead of a dealership visit. GM is not budging from repairing my transmission. The dealer confirmed they feel the grind in 1-2 and also in 3rd and 4th gear. The tech center says the TSB covers this grinding issue and not to perform any repairs on the transmission. I've got a copy of the TSB which addresses cold weather, less than 32 degrees, grinds on the transmission in only 1-2 shifts, it does not say anything about any other gear. Mine will grind with temps below 60 degrees and as said above grinds in 3rd and 4th.
I've had plenty of other style transmissions and none of them acted like this 6060.
Oh by the way, the TSB addresses 2008-2009 Corvette, Z06 and 2009 CTS-V but not the ZR1, different transmission. The transmissions are the MM6, MG9, MZ6 or MH3 RPO coded transmissions.

I am currently waiting on the BBB to arbitrate my case with GM, I should hear something next week after the holidays.

Last edited by 04Z16; 11-27-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:06 AM
BenThere
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 04Z16
Got my car back from a different dealer for a second opinion, felt like a doctors visit instead of a dealership visit. GM is not budging from repairing my transmission. The dealer confirmed they feel the grind in 1-2 and also in 3rd and 4th gear. The tech center says the TSB covers this grinding issue and not to perform any repairs on the transmission. I've got a copy of the TSB which addresses cold weather, less than 32 degrees, grinds on the transmission in only 1-2 shifts, it does not say anything about any other gear. Mine will grind with temps below 60 degrees and as said above grinds in 3rd and 4th.
I've had plenty of other style transmissions and none of them acted like this 6060.
Oh by the way, the TSB addresses 2008-2009 Corvette, Z06 and 2009 CTS-V but not the ZR1, different transmission. The transmissions are the MM6, MG9, MZ6 or MH3 RPO coded transmissions.

I am currently waiting on the BBB to arbitrate my case with GM, I should hear something next week after the holidays.

Thanks for the update. Exactly the same reaction and information from my dealer. I'm sure they also reminded you that you have a good warranty and if really serious problems problems develop they will fix it. Not the least bit surprising this is the reaction from GM.

This kind of behavior from GM is not unusual. They're going to stonewall this for a while and hope that the transmissions hold up without longer term down-side issues. In the present economic climate, this is the business decision they have made: cost vs. risk.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are having trouble from their transmission supplier as well and/or the supplier's sub-suppliers. QA/QC issues in the manufacture of components that probably require tighter tolerance control combined with no confidence that they can get repair or replacement parts that will fix the problem the first time in the customer's car. Who knows what the contract is between GM and Tremec - they could be going back and forth on who owns the issue behind conference room doors as well.

Bottom line, unless this problem becomes more severe and/or customer complaints become a lot more animated, we won't see much more from GM for a while; they've got much bigger problems to sweat for the next several quarters.

With that said, I am not letting this particular issue detract from enjoying the car (I'm not accepting the GM response either). The problem goes away after 10 - 15 minutes of careful shifting, which is a normal warm-up period anyway. I've got the warranty and the paper trail with the dealer. I will try some different transmission oils and watch the forum and stay in touch with the dealer on TSBs. I still love the car and every day I drive it I just want to drive it more!

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's

Old 11-27-2008, 10:48 AM
bennettrp
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14,'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by nzk
what about just changing the tranny fluid to a different brand or type. my previous car (300ZX) was notorious for synchro grind, it was well know that switching to redline fluid cures the problem permanently.
I have the same issue and was thinking about using amsoil. It really smoothed out the shifting in my C5.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 AM
BenThere
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bennettrp
I have the same issue and was thinking about using amsoil. It really smoothed out the shifting in my C5.
Which Amsoil did you use?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Quickstrike Zo6
Intermediate

So what you are telling me is that I need to get a 06-07. Does anyone know if the 09's are having the same problem or has GM "fixed" the problem?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's