Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 "targa" - Weight, Cost, Progress, Summary!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Where's the road track test report, or is that on another thread?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:46 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by avacorvette
ummmmm $10,000 on a targa
OR
$10,000 on K-Tech engine
That is a very good point, but only if you truly need (and can handle) the power.

As for me, I just finished my first HPDE two weeks ago and the bone stock Z06 is WAAYYY more car than I can handle. I am very glad that I did not do a single performance mod to the Z06. Not only stock under the hood, but also stock brakes and tires. Now, I realize that there are a very small group of people who can actually take advantage of the performance upgrades (Katech, etc.), and I admire their driving ability, but for the other 99% of us, we can not even begin to push the stock Z06 to it's limits. I am having a ball with stock performance, and seriously doubt that I will ever desire to make the commitment of time and money to need more performance (except maybe tires and brakes).

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Where's the road track test report, or is that on another thread?
Sorry for the delay in the follow-up performance results, but I will make this iterim report.

I ran the "Z06-T" at the HPDE at Putnam Park, IN the first week-end of October. It was my first HPDE, and it was a blast!! My first two sessions were pretty mediocre, as I learned the track and driving technique, but by the third run I was flying!!! At least by my standards. Every session I improved in both my skill and confidence.

At the end of the first day, a SERIOUSLY FAST driver, Mike Newlander, took the controls of my car, and really unleashed the beast. He proceeded to remind me (with his driving skill) that I am a novice, and he really put the hammer down. I dang near messed my pants!

The car performed perfectly with one exception. The tunnel reinforcement system that was built around the exhaust needed just a little more clearance, and the exhaust vibration caused a small rattle. We are currently making a slight adjustment to correct the issue. No big deal at all.

Otherwise, the car performed perfectly. Mike reported that the car was as solid as any stock Z06. After returning to BG, the car has been thoroughly examined, and everything is in order. All connections, clearances, etc. are as installed.

I will be returning to Putnam Park for another HPDE on 11/1. The car will be tested again, and I will then post a final thread.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
At the end of the first day, a SERIOUSLY FAST driver, Mike Newlander, took the controls of my car, and really unleashed the beast. He proceeded to remind me (with his driving skill) that I am a novice, and he really put the hammer down. I dang near messed my pants!
Lucky you survived - that Newlander guy can't keep a car on the track . . . .

Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

You oviously have some "history" with Mike!

Seriously, Mike is a super guy. He spent a lot of his time helping me to "learn the ropes", prep my car, testing, etc.

I would like to publicly acknowledge my appreciation to Mike.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Allan,

You need to take off the training wheels and come out to one of our driving schools in January. Here's a shot of me with a few passengers last year.

You obviously have some "history" with Mike!

Seriously, Mike is a super guy. He spent a lot of his time helping me to "learn the ropes", prep my car, testing, etc.

I would like to publicly acknowledge my appreciation to Mike.

Tom,

Thank you for the trust in having me drive your car. It certainly is unique, but more importantly, solid. I'd love another crack at it once you have the muffler vibration tended to.

We can turn it up a notch as well now that you're not a rookie anymore!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 PM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Very impressive read. I know this is old but reading about the Targa conversion was great. A lot more expensive than I hoped. This is something I would definitely consider down the road...after I've fixed the dreaded LS7 valve guide issue with new heads and the addition of my ECS superchager kit! But definitely good to see this done!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by avacorvette
ummmmm $10,000 on a targa
OR
$10,000 on K-Tech engine
hmmm that ones a no brainer ehh??
KATECH!!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 PM
tt350z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9,500-11,000 WOW that is alot I think I will save the 10k and trade in my z06 for a new one for that price.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by tt350z
9,500-11,000 WOW that is alot I think I will save the 10k and trade in my z06 for a new one for that price.
No problem with that option, but keep in mind that I did this conversion in 2008, before the Grand Sport and before the Z51.

My logic was to build an "open air" Z06 with a transparent top, and that I could take to the track. At the time it was exactly what I wanted.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

John Carvaggio does a targa conversion at something like $47000 to put things in perspective.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:34 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Carvaggio conversion, costs an arm and a leg...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...onversion.html

Great job OP; while its not a mod for me, good luck.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:07 AM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

No problem with that option, but keep in mind that I did this conversion in 2008, before the Grand Sport and before the Z51.

My logic was to build an "open air" Z06 with a transparent top, and that I could take to the track. At the time it was exactly what I wanted.

Drove my instructors Z06 (with Targa mod) at road Atlanta (summer 12) for one very slow lap (TPMS malfunction). I noticed a lot of noise coming from the Targa (squeaks and rattles). But I have no idea if he added the frame stiffening stuff. So needless to say I wasn't impressed with his mod. Sounds like yours is more solid.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:53 AM
greatgonzer
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Expensive, but pretty darn cool!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 "targa" - Weight, Cost, Progress, Summary!