Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 08 Z06 3LZ Passenger Side Rattle Solved

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:51 PM
rfb08z3lz
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 08 Z06 3LZ Passenger Side Rattle Solved

This has probably come up before on the forum but I thought I'd send it out because there's nothing worse than an annoying rattle.

The symptom was an intermittent and random clicking that sounded like it was coming from under the passenger side dash. The initial diagnosis was that it may be the air door and that meant the entire dash would have to come out! I went ballistic. No one has any experience with taking out the leather dash interior. So after sensitizing everyone to the requirements of a Z06 Corvette owner we continued to research and diagnose the problem. The air door can be checked with a scan tool and it didn't show anything conclusive that there was a problem. A service bulletin led us to the dry sump oil pump and realized that it could be transmitting the sound. The bulletin said there may be an O-ring that was cut. Since that was easy to investigate they pulled the pipe and sure enough the O-ring was cut causing the pipe and metal screen to bang around. In addition, it was sucking air. A new O-ring took care of it. The interior was saved and probably any jail time if in fact they had to do that and it wasn't put back in perfect condition.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:11 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar prob its more of a clicking sound coming from the passenger side any help?
Old 10-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Do we have that TSB anywhere on the site? Do you know the model years in question. Mine sure does a noticeable clicking/ticking bit in the passenger footwell area. I've been writing it off as just one more note in the Z06 clatter-symphony.

Z//
Old 10-04-2008, 12:39 AM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm getting a ticking/clicking... but right behind my head, to the left.

Drives me crazy!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:31 AM
Erix
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you imagine the angst a dealer service writer goes thru when ever he sees a Z06 pull up. And the day the tech says he wants to do some major disassembly after having met the owner and know how they will react.

I bet that is the why they love soccer moms so much. Yeh, what ever....sounds good...
Old 10-04-2008, 08:43 PM
rfb08z3lz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zeshawn
I have a similar prob its more of a clicking sound coming from the passenger side any help?
Yes, it is more of a clicking sound, it's random and you should be able make it happen by: close the windows to carefully listen then slightly rev the engine. You should hear a clicking that that picks up then fads away. It will be coming from the passenger side.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
rfb08z3lz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Do we have that TSB anywhere on the site? Do you know the model years in question. Mine sure does a noticeable clicking/ticking bit in the passenger footwell area. I've been writing it off as just one more note in the Z06 clatter-symphony.

Z//
I don't have the TSB but I probabaly can get it if you really need it. I would say that it can appear to be in the footwell. Mine is a 2008. I would suggest you just take it in and ask them to check it. It's a minor and fast check. Stand over them like I did.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:50 PM
rfb08z3lz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Erix
Can you imagine the angst a dealer service writer goes thru when ever he sees a Z06 pull up. And the day the tech says he wants to do some major disassembly after having met the owner and know how they will react.

I bet that is the why they love soccer moms so much. Yeh, what ever....sounds good...

When we were trying to find the noise I wouldn't let them drive the car. I went with them and stood over them. I called Chevrolet and had them on notice. They called the Service Director and discussed it. I must say they did everything I asked and wouldn't make a move without me. In the end they did a great job dealing with us crazy Z06 people.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 PM
rfb08z3lz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by obzidian

Drives me crazy!
It definitely won't be coming from the left if it's the oil pump O-ring.

I hope you find it. If I think of something I'll let you know.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

One tinkling rattle sound I found on the left behind me was the clip for the cargo shade was loose and needed tightening . Now I have this little click that almost sounds like it's coming from the door lock indicator or the seat belt housing by my left ear.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the post. I think I may have the dreaded cut o-ring ailment.

I'll be checking it out shortly.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I had a similar rattling noise under the passenger seat. It turned out that by removing the right rear fender liner, there is a triangle 'tray' that cups under by the back of the frame rail that was full of small rocks. The tech cleaned it out and the problem was solved
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rfb08z3lz
Yes, it is more of a clicking sound, it's random and you should be able make it happen by: close the windows to carefully listen then slightly rev the engine. You should hear a clicking that that picks up then fads away. It will be coming from the passenger side.
I've also got the noise that you describe. '08 3LZ Z06. I don't want the techs taking apart my dash. I've taken off the glove box and laid on my back with my head under the passenger dash. Had my brother drive and the ticking seems to come from under the dash. Can't find anything loose. Driving me crazy. Going to go to the dealer and have them check the oil sump.

Last edited by RUBYREDVET; 10-08-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 10-07-2008, 12:28 AM
OldZR-1Guy
Racer

I have bit of a rattle coming from what seems like the glove box area. It's intermittent and I don't hear it unless the car is moving. Seems prompted by sharp bumps but hard to tell, since I can't drive and stick my head under the dash at the same time.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:26 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldZR-1Guy
I have bit of a rattle coming from what seems like the glove box area. It's intermittent and I don't hear it unless the car is moving. Seems prompted by sharp bumps but hard to tell, since I can't drive and stick my head under the dash at the same time.
Mine also seemed to be only when moving. If you let the oil warm up and then throttle above idle, you should still hear it. Have your Chev dealer look up TSB #08-06-01-019 (Aug 13, 2008)
Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM
KodiaknMe
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

I had a random rattle coming from what seemed to be behind the glove box. in my case it was the two plastic lines running out of the top of the oil sump toward the engine. they just had to be secured.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:03 PM
GotMoJo
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you be more specific as to where the O ring is located. can it be looked at without taking major components off the car?

Get notified of new replies

To 08 Z06 3LZ Passenger Side Rattle Solved

Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by KodiaknMe
I had a random rattle coming from what seemed to be behind the glove box. in my case it was the two plastic lines running out of the top of the oil sump toward the engine. they just had to be secured.
I thought those were the culprit too until I wrapped them with a cotton towel and still had the rattle. Dealer ordered the 'O' ring today and should have it fixed next week.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Paul Scarpelli
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian

Drives me crazy!
My last two C6s both did that, and on both sides. I think it's a bad seatbelt tensioner design. Drives me fnorkin' nuts.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Originally Posted by rfb08z3lz
This has probably come up before on the forum but I thought I'd send it out because there's nothing worse than an annoying rattle.

The symptom was an intermittent and random clicking that sounded like it was coming from under the passenger side dash. The initial diagnosis was that it may be the air door and that meant the entire dash would have to come out! I went ballistic. No one has any experience with taking out the leather dash interior. So after sensitizing everyone to the requirements of a Z06 Corvette owner we continued to research and diagnose the problem. The air door can be checked with a scan tool and it didn't show anything conclusive that there was a problem. A service bulletin led us to the dry sump oil pump and realized that it could be transmitting the sound. The bulletin said there may be an O-ring that was cut. Since that was easy to investigate they pulled the pipe and sure enough the O-ring was cut causing the pipe and metal screen to bang around. In addition, it was sucking air. A new O-ring took care of it. The interior was saved and probably any jail time if in fact they had to do that and it wasn't put back in perfect condition.

Just took my '08 Z in today for the exact same problem. Called them last week with a heads up to order the "O" ring. They had it for a little over 1 hour today and no noise.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 08 Z06 3LZ Passenger Side Rattle Solved