Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6/Z06 replacement battery options

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:54 AM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Default C6/Z06 replacement battery options

The factory battery is the Delco "90-6YR" Professional battery. My Z06 sat on the dealer showroom floor for a month or so and they let the battery go completely flat; I think this really hurt it and so I'm interested in investigating my options. But so far I've yet to hear of anyone who has used something other than the OEM battery and retained the vent feature.

The issue here is lead/acid car batteries give off oxygen and hydrogen gas (flammable) during charging. This isn't a problem when the battery is mounted in the engine compartment. But once you put it inside the cockpit or trunk, you create the potential for a hydrogen gas buildup and explosion. I'm not interested in risking my car, my insurance and most importantly my neck.

I've been happy with Optima batteries in other cars so this seemed like an obvious choice. I've heard some claim Optimas do not out gas. Although not a traditional "wet" cell, the Optima battery still uses lead and acid (I like to call it a "damp" cell) and I had chemistry in high school and college so I don't really believe they never produce hydrogen gas.

If you visit Optima's website, they have a nice picture of a silver Z06 with Optima decals. This looked very promising but if you enter the data for you Z06, it turns out they don't actually make one for the C6/Z06 application.
I called Optima today, negotiated their phone option maze (clearly they don't really want to talk to you) but eventually was connected to a very helpful tech. He confirmed that there is not a Z06 application and it's because of the vent which is a "huge" liability issue.

He also explained that normally, Optima batteries do not vent gas. However, under heavy charging they can. The good news is Optima does make some batteries that have vent holes and it sound like they could be connected to an external vent hose. I haven't seen one in person but the new group 78 battery (8078-108 -- not to be confused with the 34/78) is pretty beefy (800 CCA) has a vent hole but only has side terminals. It's a little bigger than the Delco (10" x 7-1/4" x 7-3/16") but I think it'll fit.
The main issue would be coming up some some kind side to top terminal adapter. I was thinking one could make some insulated "L" brackets, and then use a set of side terminal adapters which seem to be readily available:
Does this sound reasonable? Has anybody done it? Are there any other options?

FWIW, I'm not really interested in hearing from those who believe it's perfectly fine to use a Optima (or any other battery) without a vent. For my money it's not worth the risk. I'm also not interested in hearing Optima batteries suck. Overpriced or not, I've never had an issue with one and really like their anti-vibration characteristics. The factory Delco in 2000 SS barely lasted 2 years but the Optima I replaced it with is still strong after 6 years. I strongly believe that the vibration a stiff suspension causes is really hard on conventional wet cells.

BTW, does anybody know what the OEM battery weighs? The Optima 78 is listed as 39.5 lbs.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:53 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking of replacing my battery with a red top. What is the issue with the battery having "vent" holes and how does the battery in the back "vent"?

Jay
Old 10-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Nimo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I'm using a D34/78 Optima Yellow Top. Fit is OK, but I did need to change the tie down and stretch the leads some.

I think weight is about the same, but I have no issues letting the car sit for a few weeks, with the new Yellow top.
The stock battery would show significant impact in a week already - even when brand new. Having it go flat a few times made it even worse.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=optima

/Nik
Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

I thought having the battery in the back was perfectly safe? Is it not?

Red Cell.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:55 AM
SidePipeMusic
Racer

An Odyssey PC1200MJT should perfectly address your issue. (AGM Battery)
Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 AM
leres
Pro

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I was thinking of replacing my battery with a red top. What is the issue with the battery having "vent" holes and how does the battery in the back "vent"?
Look at your stock battery; there's a tube attached to it that vents gas outside the cabin.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 PM
leres
Pro

Originally Posted by SidePipeMusic
An Odyssey PC1200MJT should perfectly address your issue. (AGM Battery)
The Optima and the Odyssey are both Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) mat batteries and both have the potential to vent hydrogen gas.

The Odyssey has a vent (aka valve):
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/file...M-006_0208.pdf

The ODYSSEY battery may be installed in any orientation (except inverted) without sacrificing any performance attributes. There is no fear of any acid spillage as ODYSSEY batteries recycle the internal gas during operation or charging. The valve regulated design of the ODYSSEY battery eliminates the need for an acid vent tube; eliminating the fear of acid burns or damage to expensive chrome or paint.
And according to the MSDS, it may produce hydrogen:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/files/msds.pdf

SECTION IV - Fire & Explosion Hazard Data

Hydrogen gas may be produced and may explode if ignited.
The Odyssey looks nice WRT physical size and positive terminal orientation but their application guide does not even list specific vehicles and I'll bet you can't get them to say any of their batteries are a replacement for the OEM Z06 battery.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Gotcha
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

I've got an Optima Yellow Top D51R mounted in the rear of my coupe. It has two vent holes which I ran to the outside via tubing.

Its been a good battery and only weighs 26lbs
Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very interested in this battery...

http://www.brailleauto.com/productca...17&idproduct=7

B3121 No-Weight Extreme Battery Specs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weight: 21 lbs

Length: 6.6

Width: 5.2

Height: 6.8

Pulse Cranking Amps: 1380

Cranking Amps: 742

Cold Cranking Amps: 550

Amp Hour Rating: 31

Warranty: 1 Year Free Replacement / 2 Year Limited Pro-Rated Extended Coverage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recommended Uses:

Premium Luxury Vehicles

Extreme Engine Builds – High Compression, Supercharger Systems, Large Cams, Underdrive Pulleys & No Alternators

Extreme Audio Builds – Multiple Amps, Subs and enough wiring for a small city? You need this battery! Extreme Cold Climates – Daily Driven or Stored Vehicles

Custom Cars and Vintage Vehicles – No Acid to Spill protect and enhance your vehicle!

Not Recommended For:

Any vehicle you don’t want to look or perform better!

Customers looking to save the most weight on a small displacement purpose built machine – check out the B106 or B14115 Carbon Batteries.

About Braille Batteries & the B3121 Model Development:

Braille Batteries are used by racers all over the world in the FIA WRC, FIA Formula Racing, Speed World Challenge Series, SCCA ProRally Series, SCCA Regional and National Racing, NASA Touring Cars, NIRA, NOPI and Battle of the Imports Drag Racing Series. Braille Batteries are also designed for deep-cycle use in premium vehicles with enhanced reliability and performance. The Spec B3121 is also perfect for daily street use, even in colder climates. Braille developed the B3121 to excel at competition use and in situations where the battery is relied on to perform at a higher level than other batteries. This includes extreme audio systems and insane motors.

The B3121 features an industry leading energy to weight ratio. Enhanced Mat Technology (more surface area on the lead plates) combined with calcium full frame power path grids (increase cranking power), yields over 1300 Pulse Cranking Amps. With a weight of only 21 pounds/9.5kg, the B2015 is 10-30 pounds lighter than a standard battery of equal power. It also has a very high reserve time of over 1he 15 minutes to ensure the power to start even after using the vehicles accessories.

Durability was also designed into this battery. Using high density oxide, Braille was able to offer a battery with true deep-cycling ability over the life of the battery. Heavy duty vibration resistant power posts resist cracking and deterioration common to many lightweight batteries used in harsh automotive environments. The B3121 is a sealed unit that can be mounted in any position safely using its adjustable automotive terminal posts. Braille also includes a one-year free replacement limited warranty that is not pro-rated. The B3121 also includes pro-rated coverage over a two year period.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Austeo23
Advanced

I also am having issues with the OEM Battery... I left it in accessory mode when I first got it, completely ran down the battery, and now I am having all kinds of trouble with it. The Braille batteries seem pretty impressive. Does anybody know the dimensions on the OEM battery? I would like to get a Braille without having to install a mount kit, or is that even possible? I only drive it once or twice on the week so what would be the best option?

Last edited by Austeo23; 01-22-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:11 PM
leres
Pro

Originally Posted by Austeo23
Does anybody know the dimensions on the OEM battery?
From my notes:
90-6YR
BATTERY, PROFESSIONAL - 6 YR
BCI 90 CCA 0600
BATTERY IS VENTED TO OUTSIDE OF VEHICLE
TOP POST-BATTERY CCA RATING 600
approx 7" x 7" x 9.5"
(negative terminal is nearest the side of the car and forward)
Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
leres
Pro

It's said the C6 has a larger "car off" load than most vehicles. Still, I'd like the @!#^*$+ing car to start if I don't drive it for 12 days. So I ordered an Optima red-top and installed it in my Z06 yesterday.

I wasn't going to give up the vent so I went with the new model 78 battery (not to be confused with the 34/78). Like the factory Delco, it has vent holes on either side. The vent plug and vent elbow from the factory battery transfered nicely.

I tried a lot of things in the end I did a little thinking outside the box and used one of the features of the Optima battery; I installed it on its side. It's narrower than it is tall and just fits. I got a pair of side terminal to post adapters ($3-4 at the local parts store) and I can use the factory battery cables (although it was necessary to bend both of them). I also had to extend the hold downs and need to fab up a new battery strap. I'll probably use a piece of 1/2" thick plastic.

On paper the new battery weighs 15% more (39 vs 33 lbs) but it has 33% more cold cranking amps (800 vs 600 CCA) so I think it's a good trade.

I'll try to organize the pictures I took finish my write-up this weekend.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM
leres
Pro

I picked up some 1/2" acyclic and made a hold down bracket today. I'm pretty happy with the finished product!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:28 PM
leres
Pro

Here's the installation write-up I promised:
Old 02-22-2009, 09:19 AM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running an Interstate battery and it can sit for weeks at a time with no trickle charger and my car fires right up. That is good enough for me!!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
flatout vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
I am running an Interstate battery and it can sit for weeks at a time with no trickle charger and my car fires right up. That is good enough for me!!
I like this option. Do you have a model number for this battery? And does it have the vent? Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 06:32 PM
littleredrocket
Intermediate

Another option might be to use a sealed battery box like this

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/756199/10002/-1

As I do not have a Z06, I am not aware of the dimensions of the opening in the rear of the car to see if this would fit. You could then get a top post optima or brand of your choice and vent it to the outside world.

Any thoughts??

Get notified of new replies

To C6/Z06 replacement battery options

Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
leres
Pro

Originally Posted by littleredrocket
Another option might be to use a sealed battery box like this

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/756199/10002/-1

As I do not have a Z06, I am not aware of the dimensions of the opening in the rear of the car to see if this would fit.
That won't fit.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:56 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Odyssey batteries claim they are completely sealed, and recirculate gases. Sounds like a plan. Those are hot batteries, and I' looking since I'm on my third Delco. I WON'T take a chance with a vented battery that can't be vented outside the cabin.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM
leres
Pro

Originally Posted by catbert
Odyssey batteries claim they are completely sealed, and recirculate gases. Sounds like a plan. Those are hot batteries, and I' looking since I'm on my third Delco. I WON'T take a chance with a vented battery that can't be vented outside the cabin.
Just like Optima, Odyssey batteries can vent under certain circumstances.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6/Z06 replacement battery options