Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 02-20-2015, 01:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

[Z06] GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:20 PM
RIGHT WING TEABAGGER
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stugry
I cant seem to figure out why mustang1999 has his panties all wound up. He began the name calling and then got mad when others continued it. Obviously thats the libtard mentality but it still amazes the hell out of me. Also; how does not wanting to buy a car from a government controled company make someone disloyal? And before you argue that point; when an administration fires and then appoints a successor to the CEO position of a company, they are clearly the ones in control. mustang1999, dont worry about it brother. Im sure youre portfolio was loaded with haliburton stock during the early 2000s. Or.....were you disloyal too?
Maybe I am missing something here. This mustang1999 guy did not claim ownership of GM stock so the highlighted point made zero sense.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
bentley14
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we need to learn how to spell just a little better!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
PeterM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that our failing educational system is producing many less grammarians, and the vocational schools are unleashing an ever-growing number of unqualified oil and parts changers.

I think all ZO6 owners will find it safer to change their own oil, or at least heavily research a shop before trusting them to do the work.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:43 PM
dariodelconte
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TFAST4U
Stacey,

Let say the tech did the following:

He left All the old oil in the dry sump.

He did drain the oil from the pan but that would only be 1.5 qt only being draind. leaving 6 or 6.5 in the tank.

Than stating he could only fit 1.5 in the dry sump he maxed out the Oil Tank.

Than he broke off the sealed plug with vice grips, the tabes fall into the motor.

Than he did poor 6.5 qt into the vavle cover hole.

End result is now the motor has 10 qt in the oil tank and 6.5 in the motor = 16.5 qt's total.

Maybe this is why the oil shot out the dipstick hole all over the motor and hydrolocked because there was no where for the oil to go but the cylenders.

This is probably what happed. At that point the motor locks up because you can not compress a liquid and this inturn lockes the motor up and sending a shock wave from the cylender to the piston, to the conecting rod, and than finaly making a flat spot on the crank bearings and bending the titaineum conecting rods.

I would bet he pulled one oil plug ONLY for the pan........than...........walked away to fix another car, thinking the oil was drained..........and we all know the rest as I listed above.

Thanks. I think we found out what caused this. Now all thay have to do is replace the motor

Chris
and the mechanic
Old 06-27-2015, 08:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by dariodelconte
and the mechanic
WWOOooow.........................5 year old thread???????????????
Old 06-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
WWOOooow.........................5 year old thread???????????????
Yup. It's old. And you bet it can still happen from time to time at our favorite chevy dealers
Old 06-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Oh yeah it can. The dealer near me that is supposed to be so Corvette savvy had their "Master Mechanic" overfill mine by over a quart. Dry sump systems are for the most part above their level of expertise it seems...
Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In Tulsa, we have a club officer than owns a shop. I just pop over there and we pull the three plugs from below, draining everything. The refill takes 11 quarts, and we never touch that plug which is sealed on the valve covers. I'll have to mention this thread to him, wow what comedy of errors...

It just proves not all dealers are created equal. A fitting end to a 5 year old thread,
Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
In Tulsa, we have a club officer than owns a shop. I just pop over there and we pull the three plugs from below, draining everything. The refill takes 11 quarts, and we never touch that plug which is sealed on the valve covers. I'll have to mention this thread to him, wow what comedy of errors...

It just proves not all dealers are created equal. A fitting end to a 5 year old thread,
Three plugs?
Old 06-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Old thread but wow!
Old 06-30-2015, 02:53 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Three plugs?
Same question as me.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:05 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to know if the OP still has the car and if there were any problems after 2010? I warranty time should be about to come to an end.

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM Dealer Hydrolocked my motor doing an Oil Change