Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Maybe waiting for ZR1 prices to drop over the winter is not such a good idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Maybe waiting for ZR1 prices to drop over the winter is not such a good idea

GM Almost Out Of Cash
No. 1 automaker posts huge loss - says it has made case to Washington for rescue.
Last Updated: November 7, 2008: 11:57 AM ET

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/07/news...ion=2008110711
Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that all these brain trusts that are waiting for the MSRP ZR1's are going to be sadly disappointed to see that maybe the ZR1 is expendable to GM and it's production will cease. Then where will they be? I hope that doesn't happen, but it may and those "idiots" that paid all the $, will have a windfall profit maker. The rest of you guys, keep waiting, maybe you'll pass at 20K over MSRP and pass up the oppurtunity of a lifetime.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The question is how easily Bowling Green can be converted over to produce "Cobaltettes" or whatever piece of sh+t will be mandated in the near future. GM can't run that production line forever at a rate that's less than one full shift . . .
Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM
mkerouac
Racer

Default I'm worrying that GM won't exist

My car is on a transport as I type this and I'm very worried about the cars future value. Forget about the MSRP Premium I paid.

I'm thinking if GM survives, they'll make year 2 of the ZR1 because it is profitable and they have a bunch of sunk cost in the design. So no big deal, normal depreciation and we all eat our premiums.

But if GM runs out of cash and ceases operations, then how do they support the ZR1? Service and spare parts will be tough. Resale value will drop very quickly. The worlds greatest sports car will fall apart and die a slow death.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Bobbyosto
I think that all these brain trusts that are waiting for the MSRP ZR1's are going to be sadly disappointed to see that maybe the ZR1 is expendable to GM and it's production will cease. Then where will they be? I hope that doesn't happen, but it may and those "idiots" that paid all the $, will have a windfall profit maker. The rest of you guys, keep waiting, maybe you'll pass at 20K over MSRP and pass up the oppurtunity of a lifetime.
Buying a new car can never be the opportunity of a lifetime..I dont care how many are made..The ZR1 is great..for sure, but it is not an L88
Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by mkerouac
My car is on a transport as I type this and I'm very worried about the cars future value. Forget about the MSRP Premium I paid.

I'm thinking if GM survives, they'll make year 2 of the ZR1 because it is profitable and they have a bunch of sunk cost in the design. So no big deal, normal depreciation and we all eat our premiums.

But if GM runs out of cash and ceases operations, then how do they support the ZR1? Service and spare parts will be tough. Resale value will drop very quickly. The worlds greatest sports car will fall apart and die a slow death.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by GlennSullivan
GM Almost Out Of Cash
No. 1 automaker posts huge loss - says it has made case to Washington for rescue.
Last Updated: November 7, 2008: 11:57 AM ET

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/07/news...ion=2008110711
If they stopped making the ZR1 TODAY..It will not be worth any more tomorrow, or next year..maybe in 25 years it will be a Novelty for car collector's. Any serious collector that wanted a ZR1...has one. 400 produced or 4,000..no difference
Old 11-07-2008, 02:43 PM
2ndVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM Reports $2.5B 3Q Loss, Says Running Out of Cash- AP
General Motors Corp. says it lost $2.5 billion in the third quarter and warned that it could run out of cash in 2009. GM also said it has suspended talks to acquire Chrysler. The automaker also said its cash burn for the quarter accelerated to $6.9 billion due to a severe U.S. auto sales slump.

And, sadly, today, the stock of GM has stopped trading.

You know, sometimes companies are just stupid, and GM truly is. I love Corvettes and so do a lot of people. They have stumbled onto a winner, that being the ZR1, and finally have a car model that people want. What does GM do? They artifically want to limit production and , with another kick to the consumer, they stand pat and allow the dealers to try and rape any potential buyers.

I feel sorry for GM, as there are great memories of great cars over the years, but they deserve the place they are in now.

The comments about values of the ZR1 plummeting will be realized and the scarcity of parts will also be true. This will also be true for all other models and makes.

Sad.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
FactHP
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09

"But if GM runs out of cash and ceases operations, then how do they support the ZR1? Service and spare parts will be tough. Resale value will drop very quickly. The worlds greatest sports car will fall apart and die a slow death. "

I would think GM would keep a surplus of parts to service ZR1s for a period of time. If they stop making this car, the value of the existing
ZR1s would likely go up because they would become more rare. Also, it is unlikely an American auto manufacturer wil be producing a higher HP rear weel drive car. The ZR1 may very well be a pininacle for HP cars as we know them, which would make them very desirable.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...IUs&refer=home

Buy now if you can....
Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mkerouac

The ZR1 is very profitable for GM(if people can afford to buy them) due to the fact that there was very little sunk into cost and design. It it a Hybrid of the Base C6 and the Z06, Gm was smart in that department.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:15 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndVette
You know, sometimes companies are just stupid, and GM truly is. I love Corvettes and so do a lot of people. They have stumbled onto a winner, that being the ZR1, and finally have a car model that people want. What does GM do? They artifically want to limit production and , with another kick to the consumer, they stand pat and allow the dealers to try and rape any potential buyers.
That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've read. Do you actually think a car that probably .5% of the population (optimistically) can afford could help save a car maker from financial ruin

Last edited by TA; 11-07-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by Blow N By
I can..But I wont buy at ripoff prices
Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Hot Z06
Pro

Originally Posted by 2ndVette
GM Reports $2.5B 3Q Loss, Says Running Out of Cash- AP
General Motors Corp. says it lost $2.5 billion in the third quarter and warned that it could run out of cash in 2009. GM also said it has suspended talks to acquire Chrysler. The automaker also said its cash burn for the quarter accelerated to $6.9 billion due to a severe U.S. auto sales slump.

And, sadly, today, the stock of GM has stopped trading.

I feel sorry for GM, as there are great memories of great cars over the years, but they deserve the place they are in now.

The comments about values of the ZR1 plummeting will be realized and the scarcity of parts will also be true. This will also be true for all other models and makes.

Sad.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:42 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Obama clearly stated in his press conference that they need to explore options with regards to helping the automakers. There is no freaking way the government can afford to let GM or Ford go under; they are responsible directly and indirectly for hundreds of thousands of jobs. GM is in trouble, but no way they will go under. They may operate under bankruptcy protection for a while, but, will never in our lifetimes, go out of business.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:05 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
Obama clearly stated in his press conference that they need to explore options with regards to helping the automakers. There is no freaking way the government can afford to let GM or Ford go under; they are responsible directly and indirectly for hundreds of thousands of jobs. GM is in trouble, but no way they will go under. They may operate under bankruptcy protection for a while, but, will never in our lifetimes, go out of business.

And parts. There's not a Corvette made that you can't still get parts for. There are way too many aftermarket companies for that to ever be a problem.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:46 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Z06
Buying a new car can never be the opportunity of a lifetime..I don't care how many are made..The ZR1 is great..for sure, but it is not an L88
No, it's BETTER than the L88 ever hoped to be...

It has tons of torque. It has traction control to help keep all those ponies planted. It can sip fuel at rates not even thought of in the 60's with the same cubic inches and horsepower outputs. It has a (relatively) easy HP upgrade path (a pulley swap & computer program). It has magnetic shocks to make it ride like a Caddy on the highway, yet still it can turn corners and leave your passengers face stuck to the side window. It has the most awesome brakes ever put on a production Corvette. It has carbon-fiber panels to make it even lighter.

Do I really NEED to go on? This car, in 40 years, will STILL smoke L88's and will sell for higher prices than the L88 is selling for now.

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe waiting for ZR1 prices to drop over the winter is not such a good idea

Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 PM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ZR1 is awesome. You are overthinking this. Buy it, drive it, love it!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I just don't get it. Toss a few hundred billion GM's way so the 100+ thousand unemployed workers can sit in the break room for another 4 years at full wage. How is that going to help. GM's concern should be, no one is buying cars right now because no one knows if they will have a job tomorrow. Giving them money to build more cars that they can't sell will help how? Here's an idea, give us all 25K and let us go buy a GM car. That will at least keep some of them working. Where's muh check?????? fug gm and their over paid work force. Shut it down. Let them stand in the unemployment line with everyone else. Why should this company get a bail out and others not. We lost a million more jobs last I heard. Why should GM be protected?

Last edited by bizaro; 11-07-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

Great idea. Maybe the government should reward us buying american vehicles with some type of tax break. Maybe writing off interest on American made vehicles for a year or two.....

And for all those that buy foreign stuff built here and self assure themselves that "well it's made in America". Phooey! Profits go back overseas and they use more of their own parts and materials from their own region of the world.

Charity starts at home. If your kids are starving you don't give the last piece of bread to someone in China...

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Maybe waiting for ZR1 prices to drop over the winter is not such a good idea