Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 IPOD interface

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:23 PM
mkerouac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZR1 IPOD interface

Does the 3ZR Option have the AUX jack for IPOD hookup? I know my 07 Vert with NAV doesn't. I see Bluetooth on the Chevy ZR1 website, but no iPOD.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mkerouac
Does the 3ZR Option have the AUX jack for IPOD hookup? I know my 07 Vert with NAV doesn't. I see Bluetooth on the Chevy ZR1 website, but no iPOD.
No 2009 Vettes with the Nav. option have an auxilary jack.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 PM
NOLA-ZR1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a real shame. It would be nice to listen to some tunes between race tracks.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
mkerouac
Racer

Originally Posted by Vietnam Vette
No 2009 Vettes with the Nav. option have an auxilary jack.
You'd think after all of these years with the touch screen NAV GM would have figured it out. My 2009 Cayenne GTS has a new touchscreen NAV and it's incredible. Simple IPOD hookup with full integration, clear screen, easy to use, etc., etc.

The latest and greatest NAV systems actually have more features at lower cost. You'd figure GM could catch up.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 PM
CYBERZR1
Intermediate

And people wonder why GM is on the brink?

most $10K cars have IPOD connections by now.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Originally Posted by Z06S6
That's a real shame. It would be nice to listen to some tunes between race tracks.
As an alternative, you might try the radio, and you have your choice between AM, FM or XM. Works for me. And if that don't work, try using the CD player. No brainer.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Blow N By
Burning Brakes

you could get a FM modulator and receive it over the radio.....
Old 11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Z06vetteZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkerouac
You'd think after all of these years with the touch screen NAV GM would have figured it out. My 2009 Cayenne GTS has a new touchscreen NAV and it's incredible. Simple IPOD hookup with full integration, clear screen, easy to use, etc., etc.

The latest and greatest NAV systems actually have more features at lower cost. You'd figure GM could catch up.
My 07 yukon with Nav has the Ipod Jack go figure !
Old 11-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My wife's HHR has an aux jack.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Z06vetteZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maui
My wife's HHR has an aux jack.
Does it have Nav?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one area that I agree that GM interiors SUCK. There's absolutely no excuse for them not to have a fully implemented iPod compatible touch screen on the Nav. Apple is an AMERICAN company and even Volkswagens came with iPod compatibility 6 years ago. I have an aux input on my 08 SRX Cadillac with nav. Better than nothing but then they didn't even provide bluetooth. Who ever works on the sound system design and implementation should have his a$$ fired. It is truly pathetic, starting with the design and implementation of speaker locations in the car.

They must design an interior without any regard for the audio and electronics systems. THEN they go to Circuit City in Detroit and have some 17 year old kid who does installs in the automotive department determine where and how the sound system will be installed using the leftover Bose components that they couldn't sell to the other auto manufacturers for the past 6 years.

GM is being RIPPED off and apparently they don't have anyone that works there that even knows it.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:59 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by robvuk
This is one area that I agree that GM interiors SUCK. There's absolutely no excuse for them not to have a fully implemented iPod compatible touch screen on the Nav.
Let's all inhale, then exhale, then relax a bit. There probably are reasons why the Nav-equipped Corvettes don't have factory iPod jacks.

1. GM needs a Nav unit that can be integrated with the HUD. Note that no other aftermarket Nav system, that I'm aware of anyway, can send its output to the HUD. But, this was a big marketing point for GM, so they're sorta stuck with the Denso unit they have.

2. Given #1, does Denso even make an iPod adapter that works with its own Nav unit? My guess is: no. And given that Denso is a nobody company (in the grand scheme of things) is it any surprise that no one else makes a good adapter for it?

I wouldn't call this a "sucky GM interior" issue. It's more an issue of making the wrong decision on hardware because of a marketing point. We're left to our own devices (literally) to figure out how to integrate the iPod with the Nav. There are several aftermarket solutions out there (I use the USASpec unit) but none of them are really all that great.

jas
Old 11-10-2008, 09:12 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I searched the forum and while there is not much info on it, USA Spec has an iPod adaptor that worked on my 2008 Z06 with Nav and I bet will work on 2009 GM Nav units. It works with the iPod and the iPhone 3G and adds a regular 1/8 Audio jack as well. You can advance tracks with the steering wheel as well as have rudimentary controls on the touch screen. All you give up is XM1 (XM2 still works)

http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html
Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,802 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by kverges
It works with the iPod and the iPhone 3G and adds a regular 1/8 Audio jack as well.
Be careful with this statement. It DOES NOT work properly with an iPhone 3G. Yes, it will control the iPhone, but it won't charge it. So you'll kill the battery on your iPhone if you connect it and play.

The reason, I believe, is that USASpec mimics a firewire connections, vs. a USB one. New iPhones are no longer recognizing firewire as a valid charging device. They'll respond to controls via a firewire connection, but they will not take charge from one.

This doesn't apply to iPods. The iPods (even new ones) still respond to firewire connections for charging as well as control. But, look for Apple to stop that at some point and go USB-only. Once they do that, USASpec (and the other makers) will have to reprogram their adapters to mimic USB.

jas
Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 AM
H1ghlndr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Coasttech lockpick in my 2008 Z06. Works great with the IPhone. It installs between the XM and harness in left rear hatch area. Probably will take you 15 minutes.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CORVETTEIPOD.htm

Enjoy!

Bob
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

I s he talking specific iPod intergration or just an aux. jack?

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 IPOD interface

Old 11-10-2008, 01:22 PM
LS6v
Racer

Originally Posted by CYBERZR1
And people wonder why GM is on the brink?

most $10K cars have IPOD connections by now.
The Cadillac CTS that I'm driving has NAV and a dedicated iPod interface.

Also, GM is on the brink because of legacy costs in the US.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

The new USA Spec device I just bought IF PURCHSED WITH THE CORRECT CABLE does indeed charge my iPhone. Older versions did not, I suspect.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 PM
mkerouac
Racer

Originally Posted by H1ghlndr
I installed the Coasttech lockpick in my 2008 Z06. Works great with the IPhone. It installs between the XM and harness in left rear hatch area. Probably will take you 15 minutes.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CORVETTEIPOD.htm

Enjoy!

Bob
Looks like a good solution to my needs. Thanks.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 IPOD interface