Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Z06/Grand Sport Front Splitter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 02:07 PM
B1RDLAW_Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Z06/Grand Sport Front Splitter Questions

I have a 2008 Z06, and the front splitter seems to have the same issues everyone talks about. When I got the car, the splitter was a bit scraped up, and was sagging maybe 1/8-1/4 inch or so from the fascia. Upon closer inspection, the splitter looks mostly fine (believe or not I don't really care about minor scratches on that part as I consider it to be a wearable item that is easily replaced), but it does look like it's pulled down a little bit, with the attachment holes in the fascia giving way slightly. I've seen people talk about using washers/clips/bolts etc to remedy that - does anyone know exactly how to do this? Hard to tell from the explanations I've seen so far and I don't want to start dismantling things if I don't know exactly what I'm doing. It really bothers me for some reason and I want to fix it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b47efa963c.png

Last edited by B1RDLAW_Z06; 07-22-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:59 AM
B1RDLAW_Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump - anyone? I’m just trying to figure out how to access the point on the inside of the fascia so I can put a washer there
Old 07-28-2018, 04:19 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06
Bump - anyone? I’m just trying to figure out how to access the point on the inside of the fascia so I can put a washer there
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...+facia+removal

Excellent thread on how to remove the front facia. Has detail on where bolts are and how to access.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:30 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06
I have a 2008 Z06, and the front splitter seems to have the same issues everyone talks about. When I got the car, the splitter was a bit scraped up, and was sagging maybe 1/8-1/4 inch or so from the fascia. Upon closer inspection, the splitter looks mostly fine (believe or not I don't really care about minor scratches on that part as I consider it to be a wearable item that is easily replaced), but it does look like it's pulled down a little bit, with the attachment holes in the fascia giving way slightly. I've seen people talk about using washers/clips/bolts etc to remedy that - does anyone know exactly how to do this? Hard to tell from the explanations I've seen so far and I don't want to start dismantling things if I don't know exactly what I'm doing. It really bothers me for some reason and I want to fix it.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b47efa963c.png

Did you have any luck with this? I have noticed my front splitter sags right in the middle like yours is doing. I am guessing the previous owner pushed it against the curb a few too many times. The link about reinforcing the fascia for a ZR1 splitter doesn't really apply here, unless one is putting in that splitter. That is to reinforce the fascia itself preventing the ZR1 splitter from flexing the entire lower portion at speed. Not necessarily resolving what the OP was wanting to fix.

I tried some 3M doublesided tape, but it doesn't hold. I may just deal with it until I replace it with a ZR1 splitter, but would be nice to have it fixed now until then. I am guessing there may be clips of some sort that could be used. Not sure I want to drill right there especially if I end up replacing it anyway.

There are also a few scuffs/scrapes on one corner on the splitter itself as well. I guess that can be sanded without any issue? Not sure if the plastic would simply start fraying more.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tall-more.html

2011 Grandsport ECS1500 supercharged and more!
only 1-2hrs from you in Pa.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:20 AM
Armando Estrada
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is actually a super simple fix! Jack up the car, the bolts are located underneath the splitter itself no need to remove the bumper at all. I would try to add a few washers to that center bolt and give it a good snug, hopefully that closses up the gap between the splitter and the bumper. I opted for a new carbon fiber front splitter with the fiber glass reinforcement which required the whole front bumper to come off and when doing so, the bumper itself was all messed up in that middle section on where it drags. I actually ended up drilling bigger holes across the front bumper/fiberglass reinforcement to make sure it never dragged ever again. If the wahsers dont help i would drill a bigger hole only in that center bolt and add a bigger bolt its underneath so you wouldn't be able to tell. This video shows how to access/change the front stock plastic splitter.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:41 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 263 Posts

Do you have the bumper reinforcement? That's what you need. They came stock on ZR1's. Stops all the sag from the downforce from the splitter.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:33 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
Do you have the bumper reinforcement? That's what you need. They came stock on ZR1's. Stops all the sag from the downforce from the splitter.
He won't need the reinforcement for the OEM Z06 splitter, only if he goes with a ZR1 style splitter and runs at high speed (120+). Installation requires removal of the front fascia, not a really big deal but some of the retaining clips are known to break, best done with two people.

The center mounting hole for the OEM splitter is prone to pulling out when the splitter is driven into a curb stop or other low obstruction. The fix is either large washers or if the hole thru the fascia is larger, use some thin 1" wide aluminum strapping perhaps 2" long, drill it and then mount the factory fasteners to that. The OEM solitters are definitely consumables, like the air dam underneath.

Last edited by AzDave47; 08-24-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:19 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 263 Posts

Couldn't see the pic, didn't know he had stock splitter. My bad
Old 08-24-2019, 09:53 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

All z06 and zr1 need the reinforcement. GM poorly designed the front facia and need it to stop sagging over time - doesnt matter what splitter or how fast you go.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:03 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
All z06 and zr1 need the reinforcement. GM poorly designed the front facia and need it to stop sagging over time - doesnt matter what splitter or how fast you go.
I never had a problem with my 09 Z06 OEM splitter despite hundreds of miles at 150+ MPH, so no.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:08 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Put a straight edge against it.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:48 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Put a straight edge against it.
Since I've been running a ZR1 style splitter with the fascia reinforcement on it for the last 3-4 years, I don't think that will tell me much. But as a racer, I do pay attention to details and know I did not have a problem with speed with the OEM splitter sagging permanently, it was just those damn curbstones. I only got the OEM splitter up to 196.5 MPH MPH, though. I would never have considered running the ZR1 style splitter with it's increased downforce without having the reinforcement installed.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06/Grand Sport Front Splitter Questions

Quick Reply: Z06/Grand Sport Front Splitter Questions