Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Kook offroad x vs. catted x pipe weight difference

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Street gear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kook offroad x vs. catted x pipe weight difference

This is for information purpose only. For those that want to know what the difference in weight between the two is:

Off road kooks x pipe = 16.4 lbs.
Catted kooks x pipe = 19 lbs.

Now if someone can do a before and after dyno test we will know everything we need to on Cats.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
webcarconnection
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How much is the stock H?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Street gear
Racer

Originally Posted by Z-Power
How much is the stock H?
Good question I will update this thread in the future as soon as I can weight it. If anyone else has one lying around please update us.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Well, the future is now and I don't see an update.

Too bad this thread died on the vine because it's the only one that came up in a search.

I am interested in knowing how much louder the car is using a stock exhaust (baffles closed) with Kooks 1 7/8" headers with offroad X pipe. Anyone done it? Regretted it? Loved it?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in for the same question!! I don't want a loud wake the neighbors up exhaust. I'm hoping with baffles closed that headers and X-pipe don't add too much noise.

From what I've read it's not bad at all!!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Street gear
Racer

Sorry I guess I should have updated, in regards to both of your questions the off-road x-pipe is a bit louder. It is not unbearable however there is a constant drone during cruise. Unless you are going for ultimate power there is no or very little power to be gained going to an off-road X-pipe. "Demonizer" who is on this forum made 801 WHP and did a back to back dyno and found no gain at all when the cats were removed. Racing cats are quite efficient especially the kooks. I had an off-road x-pipe on my car and I can tell you if you are planning to use a high overlap cam the gas smell is quite strong and your cloth will need to be changed after each outing. I was tired of my suits smelling like gas. That is the primary reason why I elected to go with a cats in the end. Also my wife did not like the drone so the cats should help quiet it bit.

Last edited by Street gear; 04-08-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 AM
Street gear
Racer

Originally Posted by Jasil
I'm in for the same question!! I don't want a loud wake the neighbors up exhaust. I'm hoping with baffles closed that headers and X-pipe don't add too much noise.

From what I've read it's not bad at all!!
In reagard to your question I would say not too much louder if you are planning on using cats.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Z-Power
How much is the stock H?
19.5 lbs

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 AM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Street gear
Sorry I guess I should have updated, in regards to both of your questions the off-road x-pipe is a bit louder. It is not unbearable however there is a constant drone during cruise. Unless you are going for ultimate power there is no or very little power to be gained going to an off-road X-pipe. "Demonizer" who is on this forum made 801 WHP and did a back to back dyno and found no gain at all when the cats were removed. Racing cats are quite efficient especially the kooks. I had an off-road x-pipe on my car and I can tell you if you are planning to use a high overlap cam the gas smell is quite strong and your cloth will need to be changed after each outing. I was tired of my suits smelling like gas. That is the primary reason why I elected to go with a cats in the end. Also my wife did not like the drone so the cats should help quiet it bit.
It's what I experienced.
I used both on my ECS 447ci motor.
Non cats were about 20% louder, but the real reason I went with cats was the smell.
My tuner found a 4rwhp difference between the two on a built C5-R 427ci motor.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I am glad I found this thread, I was going to go off-road pipes until I read all this! My last vette had the nasty smell when running the strait pipes and I am a couple months away from buying a header system and am just starting my research...Awesome info!

John in STL

Get notified of new replies

To Kook offroad x vs. catted x pipe weight difference

Quick Reply: [Z06] Kook offroad x vs. catted x pipe weight difference