Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
View Poll Results: If priced the same, which would you choose?
Corvette ZR1
45.72%
Ford GT
54.28%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

[ZR1] ZR1 vs. Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ford GT > ZR1

ZR1 is faster and more comfortable. Got news for you....when GM gets their act together there will be a an even faster and even more comfortable corvette coming out. Hopefully better looking as well.

The Ford GT while slower has a better more direct driving feel (most important to me) in addition to better looks, not even talking about the exotic looks of it. The ZR1 looks good but it's not a clean design at all. The Ford GT looks fantastic. The interior may not be too comfortable but it's certainly not bad and looks the part at least. Way more power potential out of the FGT than the ZR1. Everything about the car is special. I loved the car since day one. After spending a lot of time with the guys who designed it my love for it grew ten fold.

Look at a C4 ZR1. Amazing at the time? Yes. Special still? Sort of. Anyone care about them? Not really. Two generations from now the C6ZR1 will have the same answers.

The FGT will still be remarkable 15 years from now. It's about the drive and the passion not about the numbers.

A couple FGT vids I did when I was with G419...

The designer and his pad..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDT1VLN-qYc&fmt=18

Ford GT chief engineer.. (skip the mustang crap in the beginning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiFirPfUTJ4&fmt=18

Last edited by phantasms; 02-26-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
DEAD EYE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Great post.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:25 PM
DJackman
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd take the FGT. The mid engined race car designed space frame and the timelessness of its designed won me over. But only if I can get the 06 year model, there's a suspension and engine recall on the early 05s.

Last edited by DJackman; 02-26-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
z51_vette_'05_LMBlue
4th Gear

Wow... Saying the FGT has " Way more power potential out of the FGT than the ZR1." is a very bold statement. From a 4 bolt main 350 you can pull 500 out of it with a carb, no turbos or superchargers and no nitrous and thats not even stroking it. The only thing i can see stoping power output from the ZR1 would be the bankroll in your pocket.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by z51_vette_'05_LMBlue
Wow... Saying the FGT has " Way more power potential out of the FGT than the ZR1." is a very bold statement. From a 4 bolt main 350 you can pull 500 out of it with a carb, no turbos or superchargers and no nitrous and thats not even stroking it. The only thing i can see stoping power output from the ZR1 would be the bankroll in your pocket.

Does Holley make a 4 barrell for the ZR-1 yet??
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM
z51_vette_'05_LMBlue
4th Gear

If you want to replace your supercharger with a carb by all means go for it, but I would go with a Demon. To achieve more power from the ls9 I would go with a new cam, new pulley, air filter, air-fuel mapping, higher flow injectors, high flow fuel pump, port and polish the heads and intake manifold, new water to air intercooler and last but not least new full exhaust. You would have a ZR1 that is putting out around 850 to 950 and would smoke any FGT it would come across, and most other supercars. Thats why I would take the vette.

Last edited by z51_vette_'05_LMBlue; 02-27-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Manatee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I've had the opportunity to run Summit Point with a Ford GT that had a pulley, a tune and an experienced driver. In my bone stock Z06 I could stay with it on the straights and run over it on the turns.

Did the other guy know he was "racing" you?
Old 02-28-2009, 01:11 AM
09C6VRGG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Manatee
Did the other guy know he was "racing" you?
lol
These cars are two different types of cars. The Ford GT was it's own Model while the Z06 was based on a Corvette platform. Also the Ford GT is a limited production car. The Z06 is amazingly fast, but Chevy did not need to spend an insane amount on designing a new body style, that is why the Ford costs so much. The Z06 is an every day street to track car that is mass produced, the Ford is a collectors item built for the track. The Ford GT does not even have a clock in it for arguments sake.

The ZR1 is also in a different league because the car had a lot more time to be created. Ford's team had to rush the car out in a small amount of time to get it produced by its 40th anniversary. Power wise the ZR1 beats it, but in the looks department I would take the Ford GT over the ZR1. The Ford GT just has so much racing history I have to favor it.

Last edited by 09C6VRGG; 02-28-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:12 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

this is something horsepower can NOT make up.

Ford GT even over the zr1 that comes out in 5 years.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 AM
ruacop
Le Mans Master

Are you people for real???

There is nothing wrong with stating you like the looks of a Ford GT more, but even insinuating performance is better with a Ford GT is approaching insanity...at least retardation. Ford GT stock is comparable to the ZO6...not the ZR1 for performance.

Then, some of you are rationalizing with "Ford GT with a pulley and a tune" nonsense just need to keep your butts firmly planted in your computer chair, because you are a danger to yourself if you step outside.

At least be real. Admit you like the looks of a Ford GT...it is hot and nostalgic for the "good old days". It is even an awesome car nowadays.

While the ZR1 may not have the exclusivity due to sharing a platform and parts, it will flat outperform "stock for stock" the Ford GT all day long and even on Mondays. Anything else is ridiculous talk.

Now, if you truly want to start talking about pulleys, tunes, modifications...pull out your wallet or shut yer cake-holes.

So far as, the original question...same MSRP and all...ZR1 for me...I like the go and let others buy the show.

Last edited by ruacop; 02-28-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ruacop
Are you people for real???

There is nothing wrong with stating you like the looks of a Ford GT more, but even insinuating performance is better with a Ford GT is approaching insanity...at least retardation. Ford GT stock is comparable to the ZO6...not the ZR1 for performance.

Then, some of you are rationalizing with "Ford GT with a pulley and a tune" nonsense just need to keep your butts firmly planted in your computer chair, because you are a danger to yourself if you step outside.

At least be real. Admit you like the looks of a Ford GT...it is hot and nostalgic for the "good old days". It is even an awesome car nowadays.

While the ZR1 may not have the exclusivity due to sharing a platform and parts, it will flat outperform "stock for stock" the Ford GT all day long and even on Mondays. Anything else is ridiculous talk.

Now, if you truly want to start talking about pulleys, tunes, modifications...pull out your wallet or shut yer cake-holes.

So far as, the original question...same MSRP and all...ZR1 for me...I like the go and let others buy the show.
I think most reasonable people will concede a ZR1 has a performance advantage over the GT ‘bone stock’ vs. ‘bone stock’. Z06, umm, no. Not under normal circumstances. Of course were talking ZR1 vs Ford GT, so let's leave the Z06 in the garage (along with videos & Ranger 1/4 mile times).

In any case, I'd pick the Ford GT. Why? Because what the ZR1 has that the Ford GT doesn't (that matters to me - a slight performance edge), can easily be remedied with very little money. But no amount of money can give the ZR1 what the Ford GT has.... Most of those things have been mentioned throughout this thread. It really is a special car. Rare. Exotic. Unique. Mid-Engined. Drop dead gorgeous.

And of course the pink elephant in the room, future value. The Ford GT is one of the safest bets going, at least for 'newer' cars. The ZR1, well, it's anybody's guess. It could hold strong, or could go the way of the previous ZR-1. I think the odds are the later, unless the PERFORMANCE wars TRULY come to an end. Even then, future value of this car is questionable at best. Again, the Ford GT is just a special car that people will desire for a long time. The ZR1, well, the C7 may trump it... Who knows....
Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 AM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

^^Agreed. Good post. FGT just screams exotic, heritage etc almost on the level of Lambo or Ferrari. The car is respected worldwide. Ive seen data of a FGT that did 11.3 @ 131mph vs an Enzo and CGT so not so sure the ZR1 is automatically faster because its newer. Pics speak volumes. FGT wins in the looks dept hands down.

Sweet. Love this pic

Just gorgeous. Took this pic at Captree a few years ago. Heffner FGT TT though it looks stock. 900+rwhp. Owner is a cool dude.

Last edited by SnakeBitten; 02-28-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

your only comeback is performance? So if I bolted wheels and a rocket engine to a bathtub and it outperforms the zr1 you can have that go. I'll still take the show in the fgt.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:44 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont care if it is slower, Ford GT if the $$ is the same.

I think the ZR1 will ultimately be rarer as I doubt more will be made.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:56 PM
ruacop
Le Mans Master

Let us stop and think a moment about a bathtub with a rocket attached. Where does that comment come from? Is the only definition of performance the straight line 1/4 mile?

The Ford GT has a pedigree for historic races. It takes people to another time that people can wax eloquent about as if everything was perfect back then. It is a loin exciting visual...as I already agreed.

However, people tend to forget than Corvette has a long race history as well. Granted it doesn't look like a 1963 Big Tank Split Window ZO6, but the new ZR1 will blow the doors clean off and come back for the motor mounts of one of those wonderful machines.

I am not arguing that this is some irrational question...it isn't. It is about someone's opinion. I am merely asking people to quit with the rationalization and the hyperbole justify their emotions.

Just say, "I love the look of the Ford GT and that is why I pick it."

Don't start talking about performance being important and still pick the Ford GT though, because then you are being disingenuous with yourself and us. Let alone adding modifications to it to compare to the stock ZR1. Add the same mods and see where that gets you.

They are both supercharged, but it seems that Chevy squeezed quite a bit more out of theirs...even with Ford underrating the GT.

Aside:
Also, what is with all of the irrational ZR1 "hate" lately on the CORVETTE FORUM?
Old 02-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I know how to solve this issue... I'll take one of each
Old 02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
apriliacati
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could care less which is quicker, Ford GT is my pick.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 vs. Ford GT

Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
jamie furman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ruacop
Let us stop and think a moment about a bathtub with a rocket attached. Where does that comment come from? Is the only definition of performance the straight line 1/4 mile?

The Ford GT has a pedigree for historic races. It takes people to another time that people can wax eloquent about as if everything was perfect back then. It is a loin exciting visual...as I already agreed.

However, people tend to forget than Corvette has a long race history as well. Granted it doesn't look like a 1963 Big Tank Split Window ZO6, but the new ZR1 will blow the doors clean off and come back for the motor mounts of one of those wonderful machines.

I am not arguing that this is some irrational question...it isn't. It is about someone's opinion. I am merely asking people to quit with the rationalization and the hyperbole justify their emotions.

Just say, "I love the look of the Ford GT and that is why I pick it."

Don't start talking about performance being important and still pick the Ford GT though, because then you are being disingenuous with yourself and us. Let alone adding modifications to it to compare to the stock ZR1. Add the same mods and see where that gets you.

They are both supercharged, but it seems that Chevy squeezed quite a bit more out of theirs...even with Ford underrating the GT.

Aside:
Also, what is with all of the irrational ZR1 "hate" lately on the CORVETTE FORUM?
I haven't seen a ZR1 beat a Z06's 1/4 mile time yet, so how much more superior could the ZR1 be over the GT? Also whatever they are rated, I am pretty sure most GT's rw dyno at about 535hp stock which is about the same as the ZR1 rw dyno so I don't think GM sqeezed a lot more out of their engines than Ford did. Also speaking of mods, the ZR1 block and internals are close to being maxed out according to Gm brass from the factory, and the Ford block and internals are good for over 1000 hp stock according to Ford, so maybe your the one jumping to conclusions? I have seen Hennessey and a couple of other ZR1 owners post, who put cams, headers, pulleys, tune and slicks on their ZR1's and have only run mid 10's at 137mph, my Ford GT with pulley and pump gas tune as the only mods on the factory issued goodyear tires ran 10.6 at 137mph the second time out with the car. I think us guys that actually race the cars are the best ones to decide who is being ingenuous and who is not!
That being said I love the looks and performance potential of the ZR1 just not as much as the GT!

Last edited by jamie furman; 02-28-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:26 PM
ls3rylec6
Instructor

my dad has a ford gt, my 2 uncles have a ford gt, and my grandma, and alll of them resorted to have bad transmissions. though ford replaced. i couldnt decide on ethier one. i love both of the cars. though i like the gt alot becuase of its looks, but then the more i look at the c6 the more it grows on me.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
redknight
Racer

Originally Posted by jamie furman
I haven't seen a ZR1 beat a Z06's 1/4 mile time yet, so how much more superior could the ZR1 be over the GT? Also whatever they are rated, I am pretty sure most GT's rw dyno at about 535hp stock which is about the same as the ZR1 rw dyno so I don't think GM sqeezed a lot more out of their engines than Ford did. Also speaking of mods, the ZR1 block and internals are close to being maxed out according to Gm brass from the factory, and the Ford block and internals are good for over 1000 hp stock according to Ford, so maybe your the one jumping to conclusions? I have seen Hennessey and a couple of other ZR1 owners post, who put cams, headers, pulleys, tune and slicks on their ZR1's and have only run mid 10's at 137mph, my Ford GT with pulley and pump gas tune as the only mods on the factory issued goodyear tires ran 10.6 at 137mph the second time out with the car. I think us guys that actually race the cars are the best ones to decide who is being ingenuous and who is not!
That being said I love the looks and performance potential of the ZR1 just not as much as the GT!
When you say performance potential do you mean straight line or all around?

Obviously there is going to be some variation from dyno to dyno, but the average zr1 dyno seems to be about 30 more than the average gt.

GM warned of heat soak/detonation, not weak internals. Bigger heat exchangers/intercoolers (if physically possible) will solve this. The ls9 is much stronger in key areas than the ls7 which seems to being holding fine in the 650-700 rwhp range. (some have pushed as high as 800 on the stock internals) I would not be surprised at all if the ls9 will prove itself around the 1000 mark just like the gt.

Also comparing your times to the Hennessey times is not really fair. Among other differences, you are an amazing driver that is not afraid to beat on his ride vs. a company being careful with a customers car.

The other car you mentioned has since gone even faster and I would bet most of his mods are not really helping all that much since iat's are probably out of control and need to be controlled better first.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 vs. Ford GT