Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Why do they always compare the ZR1 w/ GTR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FikseGTS
really, base C6 runs mid 11's like these GT-R's did with no launch control?

http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-GT-R...lip-17635.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-GT-R...lip-16435.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Nissan-GT-R...lip-17425.html

I agree the ZR1 and GT-R isn't a good comparison though.....

Plain and simple you hit the nail on the head and the truth is the Z06 is the comparable car.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SSphantom
While I'm not a huge GTR fan, I do respect it.

Statistically speaking, the GTR is a better performance car than the Z06. Period.

I'd still rather take a Z06 any day of the week, but the GTR is damn good.

Price wise the GTR should be compared to the Z06, but performance wise it should be compared to the ZR1.

Love it or hate it, that's the way it is.
I want some of whatever you are smoking!!!

A Z06 eats GTRs for lunch and ***** them out at dinner (except for the glass-jaw transmission, which would not have survived the trip). A fairer comparison would be a plain vanilla Vette.

Bring your stock GTR to a road racing track in the Northeast and I'll bring my stock Z06.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I want some of whatever you are smoking!!!

A Z06 eats GTRs for lunch and ***** them out at dinner (except for the glass-jaw transmission, which would not have survived the trip). A fairer comparison would be a plain vanilla Vette.

Bring your stock GTR to a road racing track in the Northeast and I'll bring my stock Z06.

Frank Gonzalez
Frank

I think we will be seeing/meeting each other at the "Katech Track Attack" event this May and I'll have my GT-R along and I'm pretty sure I'm bringing my Z06 as well if I can get Jason to take it back to Katech after the event.

Don't get down on the GT-R so bad believe me it is a great car.

My GT-R will not be stock this time though...but it should be a fun time...Mike ( Short Throw) drove the GT-R for more than a few laps the last time when we were out at Autobahn. Kevin the track pro drove both Mikes Z06 and the GT-R for our stock vs stock comparison and it was pretty much dead even without getting into the what if's etc. that could be debated.

Tanny is fine it's been blown way out of proportion by the media because of the LC issue and Nissan not covering the warranty with that one guy but they seem to have stepped up to the plate now with the new 2010 updated ECU and the new LC or better put " Torque Brake " launch feature. Performance shops are all hard at work coming up with many upgrades for this car including better oils, Transmission intercoolers etc. etc. The car is fine and will only get better and I don't think we will be seeing any more problems with the tranny. Of course that excludes excessive abuse but that goes without saying and would include just about any performance car especially if it has AWD.

Drive it Frank and I think you'll have a different opinion of the car. I know Kevin and Mike did. In fact Kevin called me and said he was certain with more seat time he could have gotten a few more ticks out of it. A pro level Time Attack driver that had said he had low expectations of the GT-R before he left the paddock area with my son in the car came in after a 15 minute session and said WOW this car is amazing! It just did everything I asked it to do and I didn't want to bring it back in. I'd love more seat time in that damm car.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and maybe I'll have you as an instructor for a session.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:27 PM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

If straightline is all you guys care about then the Z06 will rape the GTR in that catagory. C6 will also run with or beat the GTR in the straights. But when it comes to circuit tracking the GTR will beat the C6 and will more than give the Z06 a run for the money. The Z06 nor C6 are one dimentional cars and neither is the GTR. Give credit where credit is due. All around Id take a GTR over a C6 anyday of the week. Tougher choice between a Z06 or GTR for me though. Got love for both of em for different reasons.

As for why they always pit the ZR1 against the GTR? I got a fool proof way for them to stop doing this. Do like what the ACR did to the GTR at VIR. Raped and murdered it by over 7+ seconds a lap. Put the ZR1 against the GTR at VIR and and the ensuing GTR massacre will result in them never mentioning the GTR in the same breath as the ZR1 ever again.

Last edited by SnakeBitten; 03-08-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wanderer Z06
Frank

I think we will be seeing/meeting each other at the "Katech Track Attack" event this May and I'll have my GT-R along and I'm pretty sure I'm bringing my Z06 as well if I can get Jason to take it back to Katech after the event.

Don't get down on the GT-R so bad believe me it is a great car.

My GT-R will not be stock this time though...but it should be a fun time...Mike ( Short Throw) drove the GT-R for more than a few laps the last time when we were out at Autobahn. Kevin the track pro drove both Mikes Z06 and the GT-R for our stock vs stock comparison and it was pretty much dead even without getting into the what if's etc. that could be debated.

Tanny is fine it's been blown way out of proportion by the media because of the LC issue and Nissan not covering the warranty with that one guy but they seem to have stepped up to the plate now with the new 2010 updated ECU and the new LC or better put " Torque Brake " launch feature. Performance shops are all hard at work coming up with many upgrades for this car including better oils, Transmission intercoolers etc. etc. The car is fine and will only get better and I don't think we will be seeing any more problems with the tranny. Of course that excludes excessive abuse but that goes without saying and would include just about any performance car especially if it has AWD.

Drive it Frank and I think you'll have a different opinion of the car. I know Kevin and Mike did. In fact Kevin called me and said he was certain with more seat time he could have gotten a few more ticks out of it. A pro level Time Attack driver that had said he had low expectations of the GT-R before he left the paddock area with my son in the car came in after a 15 minute session and said WOW this car is amazing! It just did everything I asked it to do and I didn't want to bring it back in. I'd love more seat time in that damm car.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and maybe I'll have you as an instructor for a session.

Sounds good to me!!! I believe in proving these controversies at the track, instead of armchair racing.

I have nothing aginst the GTR, except that its been hyped way out of proportion to the car's true capabilities.

If your GTR is faster than my Z06 I'll offer my sincere congratulations, although I don't think I will need to.

To show there are no hard feelings, you are cordially invited to ride with me for a session.

See you there.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Sounds good to me!!! I believe in proving these controversies at the track, instead of armchair racing.

I have nothing aginst the GTR, except that its been hyped way out of proportion to the car's true capabilities.

If your GTR is faster than my Z06 I'll offer my sincere congratulations, although I don't think I will need to.

To show there are no hard feelings, you are cordially invited to ride with me for a session.

See you there.

Frank Gonzalez

Sounds good Frank

I'm looking forward to that ride!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
GeorgeSSS
Racer

Originally Posted by yellerz51
Everything you need to see is right here..

Be sure to check out the video..
Amen.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:56 PM
f355c5
Instructor

Sounds good Frank

I'm looking forward to that ride!

Please post the results of this conflict.We should all be interested.
Well maybe not the poster that thinks a Z06 will rape a GTR. Wonder what the offspring would look like ? Sorry my vote GTR.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM
ole
Racer

GTR looks like its designers were attempting to create a high school senior's dream car. Love it
Old 03-16-2009, 06:18 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by f355c5
Please post the results of this conflict.We should all be interested.
Well maybe not the poster that thinks a Z06 will rape a GTR. Wonder what the offspring would look like ? Sorry my vote GTR.
We will have an unbiased third party post the results.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Let it go.

I actually hadn't seen a comparison in months. I was kind of hoping it stayed that way. Most of the comparison BS was when the magazines first started publishing numbers and talking trash. The comparison 'discussions' seem to pretty much dry up when the cars where released. I was hoping to completely forget about the big ugly girl who can dance (GTR), but I guess someone wants to start some back and forth about this dead topic again.

Instead, try this. Go find the 450 post thread by searching, and the 15 or so other threads comparing the two cars (or the ZO6) and go wild reading through it all and spare the rest of us having to read about this same topic again instead of things actually pertaining to the ZR1 specifically. Thank you.

P.S. Oh, and the next time someone wants to start a troll thread to get people all riled up always remember to include some alledged fantastic 'Ring numbers. People on here can fill pages propounding on the importance, veracity, etc of 'Ring times. There are people on here who make it their online life to be part of every 'Ring time discussion.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 AM
c40carbon
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by J18369
Even the base C6 can take a GTR that isn't using the electronic launch control. That car is nothing special.
I don't think so.....
Base C6 can never be faster than GTR period..
If you really think so, show us a proof, i,e, magazine or video please.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 AM
c40carbon
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by J18369
Even the base C6 can take a GTR that isn't using the electronic launch control. That car is nothing special.
Watch this clip.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 AM
smallblk400
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all the respect & love for my vette & my fellow vette bro's but the next car I'm getting is a Black GTR! Just dont shoot me
Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Plain and simple you hit the nail on the head and the truth is the Z06 is the comparable car.

I am a drag race guy. If you have a DA of -2100ft, which is totally unheard of, bring it up here in our 6000-9000ft DA air. It would run 13's. That DA totally screws with what the car will really run in the quarter mile, even at sealevel. The GTR is not a comparable car in the quarter mile.

Last edited by tpi 421 vette; 03-17-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by c40carbon
I don't think so.....
Base C6 can never be faster than GTR period..
If you really think so, show us a proof, i,e, magazine or video please.
Um, ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7qznH8D4FQ
Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Rud Dog Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by smallblk400
I have all the respect & love for my vette & my fellow vette bro's but the next car I'm getting is a Black GTR! Just dont shoot me
Cool Bro I hope the GTR makes you very happy. Like my Z06 does me...

Get notified of new replies

To Why do they always compare the ZR1 w/ GTR?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 AM
c40carbon
Heel & Toe

Watch this clip.
Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrP3kiUm1K8
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Well, that was just stupid, plus he said the Vette was catching him. It was 1/8 mile drag race, 1/8 mile drag racing is gay at best. Of course the GTR with it's mighty "LAUNCH CONTROL" would have the advantage. Plus as the guy said, he couldn't drive worth sh*t, not even sure the N2o was working yada, yada, yada. Now this video that you can comment on is stupid, but at least it is a real drag race and MUCH different outcome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7qznH8D4FQ
Old 03-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Wanderer Z06
Melting Slicks

A stock ZR1 will beat a stock GT-R period! In a drag race or on a road course with equal drivers of course........period.......and I'll throw a few more...............in just for good measure.

A stock GT-R will beat a C6 period! In a drag race or on a road course with equal drivers of course.........period ..........and again I'll throw a few more.........in just for good measure.

Now please close the thread OMG!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Why do they always compare the ZR1 w/ GTR?