Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best wax for black z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
ifreefly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best wax for black z06

What's the best wax for a black car? There are light swirl marks in the clear coat from washing etc and I haven't waxed the car since I bought it, any advice? I've seen some stuff at autozone that is "for" black cars. It's like a 3 step process or something, forget who makes it but it was turtle wax or one of the other main brands.

So what's the best? Is there any difference based on the color of the car?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to give you a 'wishy washy' answer, nor do I want to start a debate on the forum. You will get a lot of different answers! Here is my 2 cents:

Any high quality, good name brand wax will do just fine.

Now, having said that, I personally only use Adam's Polishes on my black ZO6 and it looks great!

Last edited by NASTY ZO6; 03-19-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Between Adam's and Zaino, I don't think you'll find anything better. But you know what they say about opinions.

EDIT: The 3-step stuff is Meguiar's. I tried that on my '06 coupe. I personally didn't care for it. The amount of work for the 3-step process didn't do near as good as two coats of the ZFX+Z5 one step process.

What I like about Zaino is it builds up layers over time. The more layers you have, the more reflective and refractive it becomes. And it's very durable. A garage queen only needs to be polished once a year. A daily driver, twice a year. The rest of the time is just spray and wipe. I haven't washed the car since January. Just a dust, spray (Zaino Z6) and wipe (micro fiber). And this is only two coats of Zaino Z5 ('08 with 6500 miles):

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 03-20-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
emerica4601
Instructor

go to any advance auto parts and try the new Turtle Wax 'BLACK BOX'. Has a bunch of applicants for all black cars. Used it on a friend's car and came out perfect!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:10 AM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

yeah the only three i would use is adams, zaino or poor boys. all three are fantastic.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to chemicalguys.com. I use their 50/50 great stuff.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Slayride
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Like said above everybody has an opinion on what works best. I use Pinnacle Souveran from autogeeks who are a forum vendor and great to deal with . It take about 30 minutes from start to finish-very easy to work with.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:44 AM
LOSNSUX
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consumer Reports lists Black Magic as the best. I've never used it before but my supply of Meguiar's (which I've used for years - and was their top choice years ago when I got it) is almost gone. Meguiars's doesn't make the same wax anymore, so I'm also in the market for a new favorite. So, anybody have any experience with Black Magic?
Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by LOSNSUX
Consumer Reports lists Black Magic as the best. ...
The best compared to what? Just curious. It's hard to say it's the "best" if it's only comparing what you can buy at Autozone. Neither Adam's nor Zaino is on the shelf at your local auto parts store.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 AM
ifreefly
Intermediate

Anyone ever hear of Collinite's No. 845? The guy who did all my tint swears by it. I've never heard of it before.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 AM
slp223x
Advanced

I have been happy with Tropicare I have only ever owned black cars and used it on all of them.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:36 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wax will give your car the protection and gloss. There are plenty to choose from, especially Zaino which is great and easy to use.

But wax will not remove light swirl marks. If anything, it might hide/fill in them temporarily. To properly remove the swirl marks, you need to use the appropriate polish with the right pad and technique.

You might want to check out autopia or autogeek forum for detailed information. Basically, you need a PC or flex polisher machine, with the right cutting pad and a specific polish depending on the amount of cutting needed to be done.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 AM
ifreefly
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 805Z06
Wax will give your car the protection and gloss. There are plenty to choose from, especially Zaino which is great and easy to use.

But wax will not remove light swirl marks. If anything, it might hide/fill in them temporarily. To properly remove the swirl marks, you need to use the appropriate polish with the right pad and technique.

You might want to check out autopia or autogeek forum for detailed information. Basically, you need a PC or flex polisher machine, with the right cutting pad and a specific polish depending on the amount of cutting needed to be done.
Hmmm... Well I don't think it's really anything bad when I said swirl marks, I don't know maybe they are worse than I'm thinking. You can't see them unless it's REALLY clean and you look really close. I'm just **** when it comes to my car lol. I'm a garage queen I guess lol. That and my z06 is the first "new" car I've ever owned and she's my baby. I'll see if I can get a pic with a flash and show but I doubt it will. I don't know anything about polishers etc. I bought one once and tried it and it left swirls so I stopped after about 10 seconds on one of my old cars haha
Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ifreefly
Hmmm... Well I don't think it's really anything bad when I said swirl marks, I don't know maybe they are worse than I'm thinking. You can't see them unless it's REALLY clean and you look really close. I'm just **** when it comes to my car lol. I'm a garage queen I guess lol. That and my z06 is the first "new" car I've ever owned and she's my baby. I'll see if I can get a pic with a flash and show but I doubt it will. I don't know anything about polishers etc. I bought one once and tried it and it left swirls so I stopped after about 10 seconds on one of my old cars haha
You got it right. Swirl marks are not easy to see. They can be obvious if the car is clean and the car is in direct sunlight. Also another way to see them in under halogen lights. Most guys that are into detailing will polish under those 1000w lights.

The technique is very important. If you apply it wrong you can induce more swirls, marring, ect...
Polish has abrasives and it needs to be broken down properly. That's why it's important to have a machine. Since by hand you can't properly break down the polish.

It is also recommended to start with the least aggressive pad and polish. This can be done on a small test area. After that you can analyze your results in direct sun or halogen lights and see if you need to step up with a more aggressive setup.

Recommend products:
Flex polisher
Lake County pads: orange (med cut), green (light cut), blue
Menzerna polishes: Super Intensive polish, Nano, Po85RD
Each polish has different degrees of cutting...see link

Watch this video for a general idea on polishing...

Here is a link for general how to details
http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

This is just a start. There is tons of information to out there if you spend your time on the auto detail forums.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Rdgdawg
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberVinnie
Between Adam's and Zaino, I don't think you'll find anything better. But you know what they say about opinions.

EDIT: The 3-step stuff is Meguiar's. I tried that on my '06 coupe. I personally didn't care for it. The amount of work for the 3-step process didn't do near as good as two coats of the ZFX+Z5 one step process.

What I like about Zaino is it builds up layers over time. The more layers you have, the more reflective and refractive it becomes. And it's very durable. A garage queen only needs to be polished once a year. A daily driver, twice a year. The rest of the time is just spray and wipe. I haven't washed the car since January. Just a dust, spray (Zaino Z6) and wipe (micro fiber). And this is only two coats of Zaino Z5 ('08 with 6500 miles):

Meguiars... just washed and waxed our cars after a BRUTAL winter... BOTH cars look like they just came off the showroom floor. NXT will form layers, I wax my cars (and always have) every 2-3 weeks in spring, then about once every 4-6 weeks until November. This year, the minivan wasn't hand washed from Nov until last week, pressure sprayed it 3 times, all the salt, sand, etc. had NO impact on the paint and shine.

Had a detail biz right after college, Meguiars is the ONLY product line (although Turtle Wax Ice Clay is very good too) I've used in 15 years... and YES, pads make ALL the difference when it comes to swirl marks...
Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

"Meguiars... just washed and waxed our cars after a BRUTAL winter... BOTH cars look like they just came off the showroom floor. NXT will form layers, I wax my cars (and always have) every 2-3 weeks in spring, then about once every 4-6 weeks until November."

I agree.

I was really disappointed in my last two batches of Zaino. NXT made my Z06, and my Mustang, look great.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

I'm a former Zaino user, but I could never really see the difference between their products and the other stuff I've tried in the past. The expense and work just didn't make a big improvement. So now I use NTX2 on my black Z. It's just as good as Zaino for me, it looks great, and it's easy to apply.

Get notified of new replies

To Best wax for black z06

Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Curz
Racer

Im a Zaino fan. This is my routine about every 9 months. If it wasnt black it wouldnt be so extensive but I try to minimize the swirls. A fly will break its neck trying to land on your car after this.

Dawn Wash
Z7 Wash
Z-AIO
ZFX/Z-5
Z6
ZFX/Z-5
Z6
ZFX/Z-2
Z6
Z-CS
Wait 12 hours
Z-8
Z16 Tires
Old 03-20-2009, 09:13 AM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ifreefly
Anyone ever hear of Collinite's No. 845? The guy who did all my tint swears by it. I've never heard of it before.
http://www.collinite.com/ They've been around for years. I think it is more of a 'northern' wax...a lot of people from NJ/NY use it. I have never used it, but have heard that it lasts a very long time.

Originally Posted by Curz
Im a Zaino fan. This is my routine about every 9 months. If it wasnt black it wouldnt be so extensive but I try to minimize the swirls. A fly will break its neck trying to land on your car after this.

Dawn Wash
Z7 Wash
Z-AIO
ZFX/Z-5
Z6
ZFX/Z-5
Z6
ZFX/Z-2
Z6
Z-CS
Wait 12 hours
Z-8
Z16 Tires
Wow! 24-48 hour detailing marathon!!!!

Last edited by NASTY ZO6; 03-20-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I'm a Zaino fan. My daily driver is black and I just hit it with some Zaino for the first time. It transformed the car.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best wax for black z06