Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Corvette: 2 --- GTR: 0

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette: 2 --- GTR: 0

I was instructing at NJMP last Friday and my student had a brand new GTR. He was all excited about the car and told me how it would eat Corvettes for lunch and Z06s for dinner. He had sticky tires and the "trickest transmission" in the business. Didn't know how much his car weighed.

We spent most of the day going around the track learning some of its finer points and he was developing very well as a driver.

Finally, he asked me if I would take him around the track in my C6Z and I gave him an 8/10ths ride. We came back to the paddock and he had a big s**t-eating grin on his face. His brother asked him what he thought of the ride and the answer was: F**k the GTR, I want one of these!!!

Long story short, he is selling his GTR and his brother is selling his M3. They have both placed orders for Vettes.

I know this is not the way the ricers would like to have this story end, but it is true in every detail. The names of the guilty are being withheld to avoid further prosecution by the Japanese authorities.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:19 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I was instructing at NJMP last Friday and my student had a brand new GTR. He was all excited about the car and told me how it would eat Corvettes for lunch and Z06s for dinner. He had sticky tires and the "trickest transmission" in the business. Didn't know how much his car weighed.

We spent most of the day going around the track learning some of its finer points and he was developing very well as a driver.

Finally, he asked me if I would take him around the track in my C6Z and I gave him an 8/10ths ride. We came back to the paddock and he had a big s**t-eating grin on his face. His brother asked him what he thought of the ride and the answer was: F**k the GTR, I want one of these!!!

Long story short, he is selling his GTR and his brother is selling his M3. They have both placed orders for Vettes.

I know this is not the way the ricers would like to have this story end, but it is true in every detail. The names of the guilty are being withheld to avoid further prosecution by the Japanese authorities.

I will say this, the GTR is a point and shoot ready to play from the box weapon. I would assume they will need to see you shortly after they receive they're new Vettes so that you can continue to help hone in their skills so that they don't end up crashing into a ditch.

GTR = Grandma can drive it fast

Corvette = takes skill however more rewarding
Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny and awesome

I find it even more funny that this kid is actually selling his GT-R so soon after getting it. Either it's an uber-rich kid that just doesn't care about money, or someone that's not financially too bright.

Either way -- gotta love the Z06. Wonder what he would have thought if you gave him a 9/10ths ride or a full on ***** to the wall ride.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll be surprised how many GTR owners end up missing a true manual trans car and go back to something RWD. Seen a few owners ditch the GTR for Vipers.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by niteriderc5
I will say this, the GTR is a point and shoot ready to play from the box weapon. I would assume they will need to see you shortly after they receive they're new Vettes so that you can continue to help hone in their skills so that they don't end up crashing into a ditch.

GTR = Grandma can drive it fast

Corvette = takes skill however more rewarding
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I happen to disagree with yours. This man had never set foot in a Vette before Friday and by the end of Saturday was driving his new ride (a T-1 car) at a pretty competitive pace around NJMP

I don't know whose grandma can drive a GTR fast, but I can tell you that a well-set-up Vette can be driven competently on the track by anyone with a modicum of driving skill. I get people to do just that several times a year. Vettes have wonderfully docile behavior due in part to their excellent weight distribution. Just learn the line and don't stomp on the power and you are most of the way to driving one well.

YMMV and your grandma may be a really fast driver.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by toxin440
funny and awesome

I find it even more funny that this kid is actually selling his GT-R so soon after getting it. Either it's an uber-rich kid that just doesn't care about money, or someone that's not financially too bright.

Either way -- gotta love the Z06. Wonder what he would have thought if you gave him a 9/10ths ride or a full on ***** to the wall ride.

This is no kid. He is a fully grown professional man that happened to buy into the GTR hype, only to find out the truth at the track after he bought the car. He is neither über rich nor stupid. He was just misinformed thanks to the ******-for-money that write for most US car magazines. If you have read the BS that has been published about the GTR, you can understand how someone might believe it was the supercar to buy.

I NEVER drive my car more than 8/10 with passengers on board, but I can tell you I could easily get another 2 seconds a lap out of my car over what he saw.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I can tell you that a well-set-up Vette can be driven competently on the track by anyone with a modicum of driving skill.
I resemble that remark
Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I resemble that remark
You, sir, have demonstrated that you have a HELL OF A LOT MORE than a modicum of driving skills. See you at Autobahn to further polish your skills.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

You, sir, have demonstrated that you have a HELL OF A LOT MORE than a modicum of driving skills. See you at Autobahn to further polish your skills.

Frank Gonzalez
Looking forward to it.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:37 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I happen to disagree with yours. This man had never set foot in a Vette before Friday and by the end of Saturday was driving his new ride (a T-1 car) at a pretty competitive pace around NJMP

I don't know whose grandma can drive a GTR fast, but I can tell you that a well-set-up Vette can be driven competently on the track by anyone with a modicum of driving skill. I get people to do just that several times a year. Vettes have wonderfully docile behavior due in part to their excellent weight distribution. Just learn the line and don't stomp on the power and you are most of the way to driving one well.

YMMV and your grandma may be a really fast driver.

Frank Gonzalez

what were you disagreeing with me on? The grandma thing? A bit exaggerated I know but a valid point, GTR is a very easy car to go fast in more so than a lot of High HP cars. Not to say its faster but im sure you get my point
Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 PM
O7zeeO6
Racer

Nice to hear that Moron Trend magazine got this one wrong, but excuse my track lingo ignorance, does 8/10ths mean 80% effort on your part? If so then this story should kill the GTR hype once and for all. Now if more GTR gets beaten on the 1/4 mile track, then Nissan definitely has to go back to the drawing board, and this time they might have to aim at the Z06 instead of the 911 Turbo as their target in order for it to be competitive in the market
Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM
RUGBY
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both very nice cars.

Funny story and looks to be an expensive mistake for the GTR owner.

Wonder what the GTR will get on trade/sale...?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

This is no kid. He is a fully grown professional man that happened to buy into the GTR hype, only to find out the truth at the track after he bought the car. He is neither über rich nor stupid. He was just misinformed thanks to the ******-for-money that write for most US car magazines. If you have read the BS that has been published about the GTR, you can understand how someone might believe it was the supercar to buy.

I NEVER drive my car more than 8/10 with passengers on board, but I can tell you I could easily get another 2 seconds a lap out of my car over what he saw.

Frank Gonzalez
My mistake then -- I think i assumed he was "kid like" if he was mouthing off and talking about "eating Z06's for dinner". if I was out and about at a track, or even on the street I would never trash talk another persons car to ther face, that's just disrespectful.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 PM
drabe
Instructor

I just bought a GTR---don't have it yet. I'm still keeping my 08 Z06. Was at the track Fri Sat Sun. I instruct with the local BMW and Porsche clubs. There was one GTR out there driven by another instructor. We were pretty well matched throughout the weekend, so I wouldn't write the GTR off as over hyped. You know, they're both terrific cars.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

i think the point of the post is not that the GTR is slower or Z06 is faster, just that the Z06 is more fun to drive fast vs. the GTR where everything is more or less automatic. Also that in the hands of a capable driver (Frank) the Z06 will easily beat a GTR driven by a novice or intermediate driver.
Side note that for 2010, if anything breaks on your completely stock GTR while at the track or dyno Nissan will not honor the warranty.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by O7zeeO6
Now if more GTR gets beaten on the 1/4 mile track, then Nissan definitely has to go back to the drawing board, and this time they might have to aim at the Z06 instead of the 911 Turbo as their target in order for it to be competitive in the market
I raced one 3-4 times down the 1/4 mile at a track rental. He actually "offered" to race ME early on during the day in his fairly new GTR w/ exhaust & tuning work. That was all he fessed up to, so I'm not sure exactly what he had done. He acted as if the Z06 was his last car to conquer, and was quite confident. I told him we'd see what happens, as I was working on besting my personal best. Later on in the day he literally ran to his car & flew up to the line to race me.
Without paying him too much mind, he was disposed of (launch control & all) on all runs, even with letting him tree me (the not paying him too much mind part). He couldn't for the life of him figure out why he kept losing. Needless to say, his attitude & cockyness changed rather quickly.

They are quite the car though. They look a lot better in person also.

Ron
Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 AM
avacorvette
Burning Brakes

Location: Canonsburg home of Yenko Chevy (gone but not forgotten) Western PA

I saw my first GTR last night up close and D#%N IT'S A BIG CAR. He parked right next to me and a Challeger and it was bigger than both.
Nice 20"ers with Brembo brakes made my wheels look tiny.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette: 2 --- GTR: 0

Old 04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
monaroCountry
Pro

Originally Posted by drabe
I just bought a GTR---don't have it yet. I'm still keeping my 08 Z06. Was at the track Fri Sat Sun. I instruct with the local BMW and Porsche clubs. There was one GTR out there driven by another instructor. We were pretty well matched throughout the weekend, so I wouldn't write the GTR off as over hyped. You know, they're both terrific cars.
So the GTR can beat the ZO6, but do you think its fast enough to beat the Enzo?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Bigbucks
Pro

The story would have been better had you driven the GTR at 8/10ths also to provide a direct comparison with your Z at 8/10ths.

I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind the owner's decision to swap his GTR for a Z06 when in fact he was comparing HIS novice ability in the GTR vs YOUR experienced ability in the Z06. Doesn't make much sense to me....apples vs oranges and all that.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:01 PM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbucks
The story would have been better had you driven the GTR at 8/10ths also to provide a direct comparison with your Z at 8/10ths.

I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind the owner's decision to swap his GTR for a Z06 when in fact he was comparing HIS novice ability in the GTR vs YOUR experienced ability in the Z06. Doesn't make much sense to me....apples vs oranges and all that.

I am sure if you put a pro driver (or yourself) in any car on the track and drive it close to its limits...it would result in the same story.

A really good driver can race with a lot of other "faster cars" and make them feel slow on the track compared with a novice driver behind the wheel.

Nice try bashing the GTR though

Quick Reply: [Z06] Corvette: 2 --- GTR: 0