Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Daggle Bentwood
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 Headers

Has anyone had headers and x-pipe installed (with and without a tune)on a '09 ZR1?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:58 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Daggle Bentwood
Has anyone had headers and x-pipe installed (with and without a tune)on a '09 ZR1?
Putting headers on your ZR1 without a tune will decrease your power. The extra flow you gain by adding the headers will decrease your boost pressure. You will need to put a smaller pulley on to compensate for the loss of psi.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Daggle Bentwood
Cruising

What make of header did you install?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 AM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

What make of header did you install?
I have Kook's headers, high flow cats and crossover pipe.
A friend of mine has American Racing Headers on his ZR1
Old 05-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Daggle Bentwood
Cruising

Did you replace the pulley or tune?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Richie18
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1 BAD ZR1
Putting headers on your ZR1 without a tune will decrease your power. The extra flow you gain by adding the headers will decrease your boost pressure. You will need to put a smaller pulley on to compensate for the loss of psi.
Well then which one is it? A tune or a smaller pulley?

From what i've heard the headers will decrease the boost pressure but in the end gain hp. To really take advantage of the extra flow, yes a tune and smaller pulley would be great.

Here is what i've seen

A.R. Headers Pics And Dyno Results!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 11:35 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Putting headers on your ZR1 without a tune will decrease your power. The extra flow you gain by adding the headers will decrease your boost pressure.

Incorrect.

Please don't confuse decreased boost with decreased power. If exhaust scavenging improves (as it does with headers) boost will decrease, but since you have actually improved the engines volumetric efficiency, power will increase. A proper tune is necessary, of course.

By your logic, I could install a 1.5" catback on a supercharged car and double the boost it makes at the manifold. Will that double my horsepower?
The following users liked this post:
xxDevilDogxx (03-04-2017)
Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you replace the pulley or tune?
Both.

Next is a cam, head work, heat exchanger/intercooler work and maybe methanol if I can't control the heat soak problem.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:27 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Richie18
Well then which one is it? A tune or a smaller pulley?

From what i've heard the headers will decrease the boost pressure but in the end gain hp. To really take advantage of the extra flow, yes a tune and smaller pulley would be great.

Here is what i've seen

A.R. Headers Pics And Dyno Results!!!
My buddy put just headers on his ZR1 and then dynoed it. It had zero gains in HP.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:30 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
Incorrect.
Whatever, you don't have any room to talk. I own one of these cars and so do two other friends of mine. We have experimented with all of them and I/we know what happens when certain items are added to this car. Experience with this paticular vehicle overrides your comments.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever, you don't have any room to talk. I own one of these cars and so do two other friends of mine. We have experimented with all of them and I/we know what happens when certain items are added to this car. Experience with this paticular vehicle overrides your comments.
No doubt you guys experimented, and while I cannot say anything about your results, I can say I’ve never seen a SC car act like that. They usually drop in boost and in worst case scenarios only pick up a few HP until the boost is move back up; usually making far greater gains than boost alone.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Those with headers, did you run the x pipe with high flow cats or the off road x pipe? I keep flip flopping on what I want....
Old 05-10-2009, 11:12 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

LOL - very nice.

Actually - forced induction doesn't change depending on the car, and it is not necessary to own a ZR1 to understand the concepts involved - it is all the same. The Doctor's comments are not only valid, but 100% correct. Headers will definitely make more power with a tune, and that power will come at a lower boost level. If you drop a pulley size, and return to the previous boost level, then you'll make even more power at the same boost level as pre-header. Of course, the tune must always be adjusted accordingly.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Whatever, you don't have any room to talk. I own one of these cars and so do two other friends of mine.
Congrats dude....you and your two friends own ZR1's....the baddest Vette ever, and apparently the only Vette ever that was immune to the laws of thermodynamics. Enjoy.

You do realize there are more variables at play here than just headers....while headers without a tune may not do much, I guarantee there is some power to be had there.

The REAL issue is that you are confusing less boost (after adding headers) with less power. Less boost is a function of decreased backpressure and therefore less restriction. BOOST and FLOW are two different metrics, and your understanding of this has NOTHING to do with ZR1 ownership.

Last edited by DoctorV8; 05-11-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

My buddy put just headers on his ZR1 and then dynoed it. It had zero gains in HP.
Interesting.....didn't you just say above that

Putting headers on your ZR1 without a tune will decrease your power.
So it didn't lose power, a testament to the flow of the stock manifolds. Again, too many variables...were the IAT's the same before and after? Was the car retuned after the header install? What were the AFR's?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM
red vette nut
Instructor

okay I am not a tech guy at all, but I need some help in understanding correctly what this thread is discussing.
I have a 2009 ZR1.
The previous posts have different opinions on headers.
If you don't get any HP gains why would you put them on?
Would you have to change the pulley and thereby increase the boost to have any benefit?
Would additional heat soak cut down your power more with the pulley change?
In doing so can you still run on pump gas?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Last edited by red vette nut; 05-11-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:06 PM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

1BADZR1, We've never seen a power loss with headers on a supercharged GM, Ford or Chrysler product. Our testing HP gains with 2lbs. less boost. Your friends ride saw no gains though he lost boost. Anyway you look at it, it is a vast improvement. Replacing the lost boost I guarantee you will be worth a ton more power. BTW, Innovators West I'm told is working on a lower pulley/dampner that'll put that boost back in. You guys may want to look into it.

Nick

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Headers

Old 08-28-2015, 06:50 AM
HamadoZr1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only one question for u, I have installed American racing headers without cats and with tuned, the question is? Why I feel the car throttled?
Should I change the cats or what I have to do?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 AM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Boost is an indicator of back pressure - a measure of restriction. Dropping "boost" from the header swap just means your engine is moving more air without the same restriction in place which is the whole point. This is increased efficiency. But you would need to tune the engine for this and as mentioned above you can pulley up the blower for even more air movement at the previous "boost" level.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Bendarwesh
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

running kook's with catless x-pipe before tune on dyno jet it showed 513rwhp after tune 566rwhp running on 98 octane

Last edited by Bendarwesh; 10-27-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Adding picture

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Headers