Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DIY - LPE High Capacity Oil Tank Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jlvink66
Thanks for the detailed "how to" post! I'll be doing my LPE tank install in the next two weeks. This will help me immensely. I am also installing the Aviaid tank baffle so I will add the unique info on the installation of that component to this thread.

This is just one of the mods that I have to finish before our event at Laguna Seca so I hope I get it all done in time.

John
You have 4 weeks!!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

GEEKMEISTER !!

DH
Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Moss
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think you need to remind people to snug their seat belts properly before they test out the new tank!!!

(see Dreamin's DIY on Caravaggio install)
Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
MChicado
Racer

Originally Posted by Dreamin
I'm still committed to only change ONE thing and then retest

Being an operational test analyst on the F-22 and F-35 programs...I definitely agree with your approach.

I just hope you get all your testing and data analysis finished before I return to the track this fall so I can do the required mods before hitting the track. I'm waiting until fall because the Las Vegas summer events can bit the big one due to the heat.

MC
Old 06-23-2009, 11:16 AM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exellent write up again Dreamin, you need to start your own C6Z Tech How To site, you take all of the guess work out of the install.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 PM
ICC
Advanced

Oil Tank Installation Steps

Step 1) On new tank: install bottom brackets, oil temp sensor, and oil line screen
(Push screen into bore from outside the tank until the locking tabs locate in the groove)

Yes, It really holds 3 more quarts

Step 2) Reassemble top and bottom of tank.
Tighten bolts/studs to 18 lb-ft

Step 3) Replace two oil seals on bottom oil tank lines
Oil Seals are supplied by LPE

Step 4) Reinstall new tank
With one person working at the top and one at the bottom, slide tank up into place. Take care not to pinch any of the wiring harnesses in the way.

Install oil lines. Tighten two bolts to 16 lb-ft
Install two bottom backet bolts. Tighten to 27 lb-ft
Install three top bolts. Tighten to 89 lb-in

Installed tank...plenty of clearance once it's in place!

Step 5) Refill tank with oil
Mine took almost 12 quarts... but i believe an oil change will take 11 quarts +/- as you won't drain all the residual oil in the tank and oil lines.

That's it... go out and enjoy your new LPE Oil Tank.

This is a GREAT mod. I installed one of these last year and it really helped in oil temp reduction. Good post!!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Great post! thanks a million.

Any idea why LPE doesn't recommend this tank for street use? (Posted on their site)
Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra

Any idea why LPE doesn't recommend this tank for street use? (Posted on their site)
Probably concerns of low oil temps .......

As a side note. I do about 400 miles a week in my car. Mostly DD miles with oil under 150*. The oil life goes down several percent a week. But I can do a full track day and the monitor will only go down 1-2 %

DH
Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Dreamin, Great post thanks will use to get it done right.

ErnieO
Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Just an observation!

Just an observation, if there was more surface area for the air bubbles to boil off that rise to the surface to gas off, the less bubbles in the oil that is recycled. The area of the "normal" level at the dipstick should have the greatest oil/air surface area. The oil/air surface area is very critical. Does the new LPE modified tank bottom accomplish this by increasing this air surface area? Of course, the increased amount of oil gives more time for air bubbles to burn off with the increased surface area. My impression is that the STOCK tank diameter is at this very mimimal critical surface area limit. If a 50 weight oil or so is used, it is just going to slow down the boiling off of the air bubbles, that is another reason why this surface area is so critical. Anything to help keep the oil in the pan from shiftiing (baffles) will help reduce the bubbles but will not totally elimiminate them as long as the scavenger pump can pump more than the supply pump; therefore, the balancing of the pumps, air surface area, orfices, pressure, etc. is so crititcal. I feel that GM has not really fully thought out this process and has supplied the bare necessities for every day driving, NOT racing. I think this point is self evident because of engine failures. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 06-24-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
jlvink66
Pro

You have 4 weeks!!
Hey, I know, put that hammer down!

I have been installing my rollbar and it has been a PITA. When I'm done with that I'll be using your instructions to do the LPE tank and Aviaid baffle install. I don't think I'll have time to install the PFADT coilovers, sways, and bushings.

John
Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It says because you don't need it unless you track your car with slicks.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Luck out?

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I also saw this posted on their website. What is their theory behind this statement, why don't they explain the reasoning, is it because they really don't know? They tried something and luckily it worked. Did they luck out?

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 06-24-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
0jhaines
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Street use

It isn't that we don't recommend it for street use it is that it isn't of any real benefit unless you plan to use your car on a road racing track so you would be paying for the oil tank and the added oil without any real need for it. The added oil would also make the engine take longer to get the oil up to operating temperature.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:25 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jhaines
It isn't that we don't recommend it for street use it is that it isn't of any real benefit unless you plan to use your car on a road racing track so you would be paying for the oil tank and the added oil without any real need for it. The added oil would also make the engine take longer to get the oil up to operating temperature.

Hi Jason

I have been waiting for a reply about the difference in the 09 OEM oil tank and previous models with respect to the internal baffle system.
Ryan had suggested that there was a difference. Apparantly you dont think there is. Or maybe it was vice versa............ anyway have you been able to determine anything ..........

thanks
bob
Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM
0jhaines
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 2009 tank

Bob,

The lower 2009 tank is identical on the inside to the 2006-2008 tank. The only change is the hole for the oil drain/side tank attachment.

If you felt Ryan was suggesting a difference, he did not mean to give you that impression. Ryan was not aware if a difference did or did not exist.

We were fairly certain they were the same but we wanted to be 100% certain before saying so publicly.

Originally Posted by allanlaw
Originally Posted by 66L72
Hi Jason

I have been waiting for a reply about the difference in the 09 OEM oil tank and previous models with respect to the internal baffle system.
Ryan had suggested that there was a difference. Apparantly you dont think there is. Or maybe it was vice versa............ anyway have you been able to determine anything ..........

thanks
bob
Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

thanks Jason
not to confuse the issue but is there any difference in the upper tanks.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY - LPE High Capacity Oil Tank Installation

Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

This is what I speculated in a post above.

I am glad someone from LPE is addressing this thread. I am seriously considering your tank.

Can you give us any info on testing you have done. We know Dreamin will shortly be giving us his data.

Here are some questions. I'm sure others can add more:

1.What do you think of the of Arid tank insert
2.Do you think your tank alone is sufficient for a stock C6Z06 with just 3.R-compound tires
4.Will you consider a group discount buy

DH
Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is why GM added 3 quarts for the ZR1 - to keep the oil cooler in the supercharged engine. The '09 Z got the same tanks to cut the cost of having two separate tank designs. Will it save the LS7 on a track with high-G left-hand sweepers? I will try to answer that question in June, 2010 based upon what I read on these threads between now and then . . .
Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

If you are going to take your car to a road course on race tires and run the car hard enough with an after market radiator and oil cooler to get the oil temps in the 250-270 degre range you need to do more than just add a little oil in the dry sump tank. If you are just driving around, no big deal.

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] DIY - LPE High Capacity Oil Tank Installation