Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Extended Warranty Worth Ir?

Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 PM
corvette666
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Worth Ir?

Hey guys my warranty is about to run out and I was wondering if I should buy a 2 year extended warranty for about 700 dollars. Would you think anything major would break over this two year period that would make it worthwhile for me to get an extended warranty. I don't track my car or abuse it, so what do you think? Thanks for the help.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:13 AM
smallblk400
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't plan on modding it, Buy the extended warranty! Peace of mind.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 AM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I would 100% recommend it. I added GMPP Major Guard to my 2000 Coupe a few months before the factory warranty expired. It paid for itself on the first repair.

Last edited by joe11204; 07-26-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM
PureSwank
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If your not going to mod it then go for it, Personally I would modify it with a reputable company...only makes the engine stronger ;-), if you don't race the car even better!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:27 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette666
Hey guys my warranty is about to run out and I was wondering if I should buy a 2 year extended warranty for about 700 dollars. Would you think anything major would break over this two year period that would make it worthwhile for me to get an extended warranty. I don't track my car or abuse it, so what do you think? Thanks for the help.
If you're not going to mod, I would do it.
Did you talk to Dennis at Fitchner in Montana ? If not, it would be worth a call to see what he could quote you
Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually get one but it really depends on from where. Some aftermarket brands are good, some not. Think the only way to go is an official GMPP, but always get it within the first year of ownership for the best price. Any GM dealer accept's these, no question's asked. Myself and most people I know get GMPP from Fichtner Chevrolet in Laurel MT. Get with warranty Dennis at 406-628-4618 ex 103. Save your dialing finger, as he's the guy. Don't forget to ask about his Corvette Forum $50 discount, plus usually no sales tax. I paid $1175 for a $0 ded GMPP on my 06' 9 month's into ownership and I'm good to 9/12 and 51K mi. My brother recently sold a Buick Regal supercharged and had the dealer look it over and replace a few things, no charge. Plus the new owner was thrilled to still have some factory warranty. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 AM
billcar9999
Instructor

The answer depends. I look at it as health insurance for my car. I've had it on a Tahoe and used it for one repair that would have cost about a grand. As it turns out, we sold it before we normally do but I expected to need a transmission in it and that would have been covered. I have them on both Vettes and my kids cars.

For my kids, I won't have to fix it or finance fixing anything with those cars (Cobalts) to 100K miles, assuming the cars live that long. I had it on previous Cavaliers and there are added benefits if the auto insurance has to fix something. When my son hydrolocked the motor, the auto insurance wanted to replace the motor with one that had a 90 day warranty. Because of the extended service contract, they had to replace it with one that had a 1 year warranty. They didn't want to do that and totaled the car. This was the answer we wanted because the car had been well used.

On my Z06, I track the car and expect to replace things like hubs, front end components and a worn out throttle body. Replacement of 4 hubs with labor will probably cover the cost of the contract. It also covers the electronics, so any repair like a nav system or ebcm will only cost me a $100. Either one of these repairs will cover the cost of the contract.

The convertible is fully loaded with a power top. It's covered for 8 years or 100K miles. It doesn't get driven as much (or as hard) as the Z06 and is meant to cover the electronics more than anything else. This car didn't have the 100K power train warranty so that's covered too.

So, for about $20 ($8 on Cobalts) a month, I'm betting that I at least break even over the life of the contract. I also won't have to write a 5K check to cover an unexpected major repair, especially if I'm on a trip away from home. If I don't, I spent $20 a month on my car.

My other advice would be to verify what is covered by the $700 contract. If it doesn't cover things like brake control modules, air bag sensors, ABS sensors or seat motors, then it's probably not the right level of contract. Ultimately, it's your choice. If it covers the things I listed, then the contract is probably going to save you money in the long run because it's very easy to spend 700 for a repair. The contract won't necessarily cover consumables like belts or gear oil, so there will be other related expenses. You should also confirm that you get a prorated refund if you terminate the contract and that you can transfer it if you sell the car.

Sorry about the length.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:19 AM
corvette666
Advanced

Originally Posted by billcar9999
The answer depends. I look at it as health insurance for my car. I've had it on a Tahoe and used it for one repair that would have cost about a grand. As it turns out, we sold it before we normally do but I expected to need a transmission in it and that would have been covered. I have them on both Vettes and my kids cars.

For my kids, I won't have to fix it or finance fixing anything with those cars (Cobalts) to 100K miles, assuming the cars live that long. I had it on previous Cavaliers and there are added benefits if the auto insurance has to fix something. When my son hydrolocked the motor, the auto insurance wanted to replace the motor with one that had a 90 day warranty. Because of the extended service contract, they had to replace it with one that had a 1 year warranty. They didn't want to do that and totaled the car. This was the answer we wanted because the car had been well used.

On my Z06, I track the car and expect to replace things like hubs, front end components and a worn out throttle body. Replacement of 4 hubs with labor will probably cover the cost of the contract. It also covers the electronics, so any repair like a nav system or ebcm will only cost me a $100. Either one of these repairs will cover the cost of the contract.

The convertible is fully loaded with a power top. It's covered for 8 years or 100K miles. It doesn't get driven as much (or as hard) as the Z06 and is meant to cover the electronics more than anything else. This car didn't have the 100K power train warranty so that's covered too.

So, for about $20 ($8 on Cobalts) a month, I'm betting that I at least break even over the life of the contract. I also won't have to write a 5K check to cover an unexpected major repair, especially if I'm on a trip away from home. If I don't, I spent $20 a month on my car.

My other advice would be to verify what is covered by the $700 contract. If it doesn't cover things like brake control modules, air bag sensors, ABS sensors or seat motors, then it's probably not the right level of contract. Ultimately, it's your choice. If it covers the things I listed, then the contract is probably going to save you money in the long run because it's very easy to spend 700 for a repair. The contract won't necessarily cover consumables like belts or gear oil, so there will be other related expenses. You should also confirm that you get a prorated refund if you terminate the contract and that you can transfer it if you sell the car.

Sorry about the length.
Thanks for all of your help, I do not track the car or abuse it. My car is an 06 and to me it seems unlikely that anything major will break within the next 2 years or 50 thousand miles, still am undecided though.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:40 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette666
Thanks for all of your help, I do not track the car or abuse it. My car is an 06 and to me it seems unlikely that anything major will break within the next 2 years or 50 thousand miles, still am undecided though.
My ac just went out in my '06 Z.... I would recommend the GMPP!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 AM
applesauce
Instructor

GMPP (Major Guard) is the gold standard, and many use Dennis Fichtner (the GMPP on mine was purchased through him). Expense-wise, my understanding is that there's increased cost to purchase GMPP on the far side of the 2y in service/24K mark (for an 06, this may not be relevant unless it was put in service late), so if the car is on the younger side of that mark, keep that in mind when determining the actual cost to "extend" the original warranty (since the clock on the GMPP starts even while the original warranty is in effect).
Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes 700 for 2 years is nothing! an engine replacement costs 20k for these cars...
Old 07-26-2009, 01:15 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

I just got mine about a month ago from Fitchner for a GREAT price. I can drive another 48 months with piece of mind.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:37 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Dennis got me covered for another 5 years and just under 50K more miles. My car is an 06, and I just had the NAV replaced for the 3rd time. Bet that single NAV unit was the cost of my warranty
Old 07-26-2009, 02:43 PM
V Amazed
Racer

I know this is not related, but I just bought a 996TT P-car as my daily driver. Got the extended warranty for it, and 2 months later a knock sensor went bad in the motor. To get that knock sensor replaced, the whole thing has to come out. Roughly 2500$ in labor. The warranty has paid for itself. Do yourself a favor, and get the warranty. I won't buy a used car without one now.

Ben
Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackedOutZ06
If your not going to mod it then go for it, Personally I would modify it with a reputable company...only makes the engine stronger ;-), if you don't race the car even better!
Why do modifications if you aren't going to use them? You can put a couple of stickers on the car and tell everybody you had the mods done and save the money.

Bill
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Mykill Myers
Racer

Never Mind. Someone answered my question in another thread about how the GMP stacks on top of what existing time and mileage you already have.

Last edited by Mykill Myers; 07-29-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 AM
robenjake
Intermediate

I am thinking about the GMPP plan for a new 2009 Z06, they want $2800. I would like to offer them $100 over their cost and get full coverage. In addition they want to sell me tire coverage for any damage. They tell me if caused by me they will still pay?

Anyone have some $ and information?

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty Worth Ir?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

My military CU offers a 72 mo/75,000 mile ZERO deductable warranty for $1550. You bet I'll add that protection to my next vette since I'll most likely be buying a pre-owned C6.

The neat thing about this warranty is that the coverage starts when purchased not when the car was placed in service. So I'll drive on the factory warranty until the 35 month then add another 6 years of coverage for $1550. That's less than $22/month. The car will be 9 years old when it expires. I figure I'll get my moneys worth, and should I sell it years down the road it's transferable. That should be worth something.

But I will admit the product military CU's offer is by far the best available and not available to most folks.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 AM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
If you're not going to mod, I would do it.
Did you talk to Dennis at Fitchner in Montana ? If not, it would be worth a call to see what he could quote you
Got mine at a great price (48 months or 32000 miles) from Fitchner. Keeps my mind at ease in case I need a repair after my regular warranty runs out this year. Go for it!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
My military CU offers a 72 mo/75,000 mile ZERO deductable warranty for $1550. You bet I'll add that protection to my next vette since I'll most likely be buying a pre-owned C6.

The neat thing about this warranty is that the coverage starts when purchased not when the car was placed in service. So I'll drive on the factory warranty until the 35 month then add another 6 years of coverage for $1550. That's less than $22/month. The car will be 9 years old when it expires. I figure I'll get my moneys worth, and should I sell it years down the road it's transferable. That should be worth something.

But I will admit the product military CU's offer is by far the best available and not available to most folks.
You can pretty much do the same with the GMPP Major Guard plan. Based on the extension I just did to my Major Guard plan on my 03Z06 they also will reimburse you for work done by non-dealer shops.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples on these service plans. A number of years ago I purchased a plan through my local credit union which usually has very trustworthy products. When it came time to collect the warranty didn't cover any wear items at all. Wear items were up to their interpretation. The GMPP clearly states what it doesn't cover so you know what you are getting.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Extended Warranty Worth Ir?