Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil Pan Weepage Question

Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Damo97
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pan Weepage Question

Hi Guys,

Been reviewing a few threads relating to leaking oil pans and such, and there was one thread that had pics posted. The original poster suggested that the shot of his oil pan in question was more than normal oil pan weepage. In turn, one of the responders mentioned that his oil pan is completely dry.

My question is, on our cars, is there a norm for oil pan weeping or an acceptable level, OR should they be completely dry? What has your experience been?

Reason I ask is that on the Z06 that I just bought (will post pics soon!!!), the oil pan gasket was replaced about 1,800 miles ago under warranty, and I was looking to see what I should pay attention to. Now, I have not had any drips on the driveway or anything, but I had noticed a small, thin film or "wisp" of oil on the pan in one spot, about half an inch in length. Wiped it off with a terry cloth rag, and it was not even an amount that even soaked the fibres completely, but rather stayed on the surface of the fibres.

So, based on your ownership experience, what is the norm?

Thanks! By the way, I am still getting used to this thing! Waaay different from the '97!
Old 09-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My car had a slight leak from the oil pan before I took delivery (used 2006 Z06), while I never saw how bad it was, the dealer replaced it under warranty and when I just did my own oil change a month ago it's perfectly dry. (oil pan/gasket replaced 8K miles ago)

If your still under warranty you might want to have that checked out before it gets any worse. The norm is no oil leaks! Of course as the cars age small/slight leaks will develop

Last edited by Silver05GTO; 09-22-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Congrats on your Z I've only had mine for 4 months, but I have never seen any weepage on or around the oil pan. Completely dry. Have you checked the torque on the oil pan bolts around the weepage?

And yes, pics are mandatory!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Damo97
Racer

Thanks fellas - much appreciated!

Actually, I have not checked the torque on the bolts as yet - but will definitely do so at the next oil change. In terms of the actual bolts, I did not see any drips or remnants of a drip. Actually looks like some sealer was also placed on the pan bolts at the time the gasket was replaced - looks like a nice, neat job. Keeping an eye however on the bolt closest to the oil filter (2nd from the rearmost bolt on the driver side) as the sealer around it looks like it was not applied too uniformly.

The area where I noticed the "wisp" of oil was on the passenger side, rear. It was not in the centre of the pan, but off to one side. If you were looking at the pan, it would be near the very rearmost bolt on the passenger side. What is odd is that it is not on the head of the bolt, but off to the side. Also, if this makes any sense, the oil that I wiped was alot "cleaner" (i.e. lighter in colour) than the colour of the oil that I wipe off the dipstick. To that point, I am actually wondering if it could just be oil that was on the pan previously, that is just gradually working its way down.

I appreciate any other comments or suggestions you guys have.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Stage Runner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on vehicle.?

SR
Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Damo97
Racer

SR,

It is an '06 with about 6,500 miles on it.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

The pans should definitely be dry. There seems to be a problem in this area on LS2 and LS7, though my understanding is that it is mainly the LS2s (some LS3s also have issues). There seem to be 4 possible causes of oil seepage: incorrectly installed gaskets, improper bolt torque, hairline cracks in the oil pan, and porosity of the metal. I myself had one instance of a hairline crack, ran the replacement pan about 1 year, and now have the problem again, so the car has to go back in. I am losing about 1 QT per 200 miles, but not one single drop on the floor. It seems to seep out only when there is oil pressure and is related to pressure.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have seen under A LOT of these vehicles and they almost all seem to weep a little. Not just the LS7, but I see GTO's, Trailblazer SS's, CTS-V's, SSR's, trucks and Tahoes that all do it. I would not consider it an issue until there is droplets of oil on the edges of the pan or you find a drop on the garage floor. The alignment of the oil pan is crutial and can cause excess leaks after a repair is made if not done exactly right. To me, it is just not worth the trouble to "fix" something that is simply seepage and not a leak.

If you post the pic, I will tell you if it looks average or if it is somethig to be alarmed about.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
To me, it is just not worth the trouble to "fix" something that is simply seepage and not a leak.

Fixing my seepage problem was NOT worth 4 trips to the dealer... weeks without my car... and having to fix all the other issues the dealer created, myself (i.e. leaky PS fluid reservoir... O2 sensor wires left hanging/touching the exhaust... i wont go on...)

In hindsight... i should've left well-enough alone... and just wiped up the oil every 5000 miles.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Damo97
Racer

Richie Rich - will get some pics soon. I will put a few more miles on it just to get a few drives in it for a decent representation. Thanks for your help and comments.

Dreamin' - thanks for posting your pic. I believe your thread was the one that I was referring to in my original post. So you did end up getting your pan gasket replaced?

Yeah I hear you guys. I would prefer to leave well enough alone as well rather than get something torn in to. Now, if I see a bunch of drops and/or droplets forming, then I will worry, BUT if I just have a normal weepage, I will leave be. If everything is working well otherwise, I would not want to risk having something else screw up.

I will monitor things over the next couple of weeks (before an oil change), and will check the pan out at the next oil change. Will also get a few pics to put on the forum here.

Thanks for the opinions - much appreciated!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,045 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Damo97
My question is, on our cars, is there a norm for oil pan weeping or an acceptable level, OR should they be completely dry? What has your experience been?
Should be dry as a two peckered billygoat, at least mine is.
If I saw much as a single drop it'd be at the dealer being made right ASAP.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:29 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I normally would not worry about it too much either, except for the fact that the amount I am losing represents, a fair bit of liquid. I have this vision of fine oil mist winding up on the tires. Not a good thing. I'll provide an update on my issue.

BTW, in Dreamin's pic...I think I see a crack...may just be dirt.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:30 AM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Default 4 quarts gone after 400 miles no residue on driveway but car is dirty.

Guys I am really worried too. I have a 2006 Z06 that I bought new with 2.5 miles on it, it now has 19,600 miles.

When I first got it I checked the oil level, about 5 minutes after the car was shut off and saw that after putting in 8 quarts exactly, the oil level was where it should be.

After driving a few thousand miles, it was lower, but not much, maybe a 5 percent drop which is acceptable considering how much we push these things.

But recently, as I change the oil every 3k miles no matter what. I noticed a lot of oil residue on the bottom of the pan after only driving the car 500 miles since my last oil change.

So this latest time I was concerned. After putting 200 miles on it, I waited 5 minutes and pulled out the stick and it was on the bottom hole?

Where is all the oil going? Could I be reading it wrong? So I started up the car and let it run for a few minutes in idle. Pulled the stick out and saw oil on it... good I thought, at least the engine has some, oil pressure looked fine too. But when I shut the car off, within 3 minutes the oil level was at the bottom hole. (not good).

I am not convinced that after only a couple hundred miles I am probably 4 quarts short.

So where is it going? I work on my own engines and build them and usually I don't see any oil residue after a couple hundred miles. I suspect that it is coming out under pressure or something.

So Here I am on the Forum trying to find the answer and I find this post? Sounds like alot of people are having the issue. Unfortunately I am out of warranty so any work I will have to do myself.

I originally had small leaks and I just tightened the bolts, but now I know it is leaking faster? I suspected earlier that it was simply a misalgined gasket.

Oh well, looks like I am going to have to crawl under my car and find out. If anyone else knows let me know..

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I normally would not worry about it too much either, except for the fact that the amount I am losing represents, a fair bit of liquid. I have this vision of fine oil mist winding up on the tires. Not a good thing. I'll provide an update on my issue.

BTW, in Dreamin's pic...I think I see a crack...may just be dirt.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:09 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette1221
But when I shut the car off, within 3 minutes the oil level was at the bottom hole. (not good).

I am not convinced that after only a couple hundred miles I am probably 4 quarts short.
I think top hole to bottom hole represents only one quart, not four, so I'm not sure that you are in such bad shape - although one quart short in a couple hundred miles would be an issue.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allanlaw
I think top hole to bottom hole represents only one quart, not four, so I'm not sure that you are in such bad shape - although one quart short in a couple hundred miles would be an issue.
AllenLaw,

Thanks, I was not aware that, I think there are three holes and it sounds like I am only a quart low? That's good news.

So if I understand you correctly,,,

x
x
x
x
x
x
0 < my oil level
x
x
x
x
|
|
|
| < bottom of dip stick

I am only 2/3 of a quart low?

Is that right?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had one drop this tire change, looks like seepage oil is around the oil pan. I have a track day feb 7 should I do it or try to get it fixed? I may not have enough time if the pan gasket is changed to get back to Prime time race group to re align. doesn't dropping the cradle requires alignment check? thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 05:22 PM
bx goat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I have seen under A LOT of these vehicles and they almost all seem to weep a little. Not just the LS7, but I see GTO's, Trailblazer SS's, CTS-V's, SSR's, trucks and Tahoes that all do it. I would not consider it an issue until there is droplets of oil on the edges of the pan or you find a drop on the garage floor. The alignment of the oil pan is crutial and can cause excess leaks after a repair is made if not done exactly right. To me, it is just not worth the trouble to "fix" something that is simply seepage and not a leak.

If you post the pic, I will tell you if it looks average or if it is somethig to be alarmed about.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Weepage Question

Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
I had one drop this tire change, looks like seepage oil is around the oil pan. I have a track day feb 7 should I do it or try to get it fixed? I may not have enough time if the pan gasket is changed to get back to Prime time race group to re align. doesn't dropping the cradle requires alignment check? thanks
How's your oil pan look compared to mine (above)?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Damo97
Hi Guys,

Been reviewing a few threads relating to leaking oil pans and such, and there was one thread that had pics posted. The original poster suggested that the shot of his oil pan in question was more than normal oil pan weepage. In turn, one of the responders mentioned that his oil pan is completely dry.

Reason I ask is that on the Z06 that I just bought (will post pics soon!!!), the oil pan gasket was replaced about 1,800 miles ago under warranty, and I was looking to see what I should pay attention to. Now, I have not had any drips on the driveway or anything, but I had noticed a small, thin film or "wisp" of oil on the pan in one spot, about half an inch in length. Wiped it off with a terry cloth rag, and it was not even an amount that even soaked the fibres completely, but rather stayed on the surface of the fibres.

So, based on your ownership experience, what is the norm?

Thanks! By the way, I am still getting used to this thing! Waaay different from the '97!
I had zero oil on the pan of my 06Z06 (after 3 years of ownership) that I drag raced & road raced.
Now I have an 09Z06 and that pan remains dry as well (knocking wood).

Originally Posted by Corvette1221
AllenLaw,

Thanks, I was not aware that, I think there are three holes and it sounds like I am only a quart low? That's good news.

So if I understand you correctly,,,

x
x
x
x
x
x
0 < my oil level
x
x
x
x
|
|
|
| < bottom of dip stick

I am only 2/3 of a quart low?

Is that right?

That's likely 1/2 a quart (+/-) low... Nice diagram...

Ron
Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

my pan isn't as clean as yours but the dirt looks wet around the edges and most wet in center front section

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil Pan Weepage Question