Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Lots of oil and smoke while racing last

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:32 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lots of oil and smoke while racing last

I had an exciting incident last Sunday while racing at Infineon with my Z. I was near the end of my second session in the morning when I got a meatball flag(mechanical problem warning). I couldn't think of what the problem might be until the next corner, the hairpin corner before the Esses. I get a humongous amount of smoke into the cabin as I'm exiting the corner and both my passenger and I exchanged a few nervous glances. As I pulled away from the corner I quickly checked my gages and everything looked normal. I didn't see any more smoke coming from the rear and I was not that far from pit entry so I continued on to the pit entry. I really didn't want to shut the track for everyone else.

The entire *** end of my car was covered in oil and it was real apparent that the smoke was from oil all over the mufflers. I jacked up one side of the car and I was very puzzled when there was no oil anywhere near the front of the car. The entire rear axel was dripping in oil but not the transmission. After tugging on things looking for something loose, I found a loose hose with oil dripping out of it. I have never checked out the lines to the diff cooler before but a quick disconnect line had popped loose and pumped a lot of oil out. I was able to pop the line back in and find some gear oil and a pump to fill it back up to finish the day of racing (after cleaning a lot of oil off the *** end and the mufflers).

John

Last edited by jlvink66; 11-28-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:13 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I assume the line on the bottom of the diff came loose. Was the line ever removed to drain the diff ?? If so was the clip removed and reused??
Old 11-27-2009, 09:48 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Originally Posted by C6 Z06
I assume the line on the bottom of the diff came loose. Was the line ever removed to drain the diff ?? If so was the clip removed and reused??
Yes, that is exactly what happened. I had the diff oil replaced about 9 months ago at the local dealer when it was having one of it's clunking episodes. I don't know if they replaced the clip. Is the clip supposed to be replaced each time the line is removed and is it hard to do? I'm going to replace the diff fluid myself here very soon.

John
Old 11-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jlvink66
Yes, that is exactly what happened. I had the diff oil replaced about 9 months ago at the local dealer when it was having one of it's clunking episodes. I don't know if they replaced the clip. Is the clip supposed to be replaced each time the line is removed and is it hard to do? I'm going to replace the diff fluid myself here very soon.

John
Yes, the service manual says to install a new clip with fluid change.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I doubt the clip failed....it likely just didn't seat properly.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:14 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I doubt the clip failed....it likely just didn't seat properly.
I can't figure out why it would pop loose now. I have not had any off road excursions in quite a while.

John
Old 11-27-2009, 10:31 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Depending on how they removed the line and or the clip the shape of the clip can easily be distorted.

Kent Moore has a tool to release the clip. If you pry it out with a small screwdriver be sure to bend it back to its original shape or use a new clip.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I double checked mine after changing out the fluid one time, and was glad I did. I gave the line a tug and it pulled right out. Turns out I had not pushed the line ALL THE WAY BACK IN before installing the C clip. You have to push the line in untill you hear a POP, and it seats all the way in, then install the C clip.

If your C clip was not missing this could have been what was wrong with yours as well. If the C clip was on your line but the line came out anyway, then the line was not popped securly into the hole, before the C clip was installed. The line is in the hole but a good bump could easily knock it out.

If your C clip was missing when you looked at it, then it was never installed or was sprung so bad that it fell off.

The Techs I asked say they don't ever use a new C clip, just squeeze the old C clip back tight. The Parts guy also confirmed that the shop never gets new C clips from him.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 11-28-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
I double checked mine after changing out the fluid one time, and was glad I did. I gave the line a tug and it popped right out. Turns out I had not pushed the line ALL THE WAY BACK IN before installing the C clip. You have to push the line in untill you hear a POP, and it seats all the way in, then install the C clip.

If your C clip was not missing (as in, it was attached to the loose line) this could have been what was wrong with yours as well. If the C clip was on your line but the line came out anyway, then the line was not popped securly into the hole, before the C clip was installed. The line is in the hole but a good bump could easily pop it out.

If your C clip was missing when you looked at it, then it was never installed or was sprung so bad that it fell off.

The Techs I asked say they don't ever use a new C clip, just squeeze the old C clip back tight. The Parts guy also confirmed that the shop never gets new C clips from him.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I did not see a clip so it could very well have fallen off. Being ignorant about the details of this fitting, I popped it back in and pulled like hell and when it did not pull out, I assumed that was all I had to do. So I might have been very lucky that it didn't pop back off the rest of the race day. Thanks for the info!

John
Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

When you change the fluid go with the Amsoil..it cured all my grindy clunky rear end slip stick problems.
Now smooth as glass.
I wonder how many millions GM spent warrantyeing clunky rear ends because they used crappy diff lube. Nothing was ever wrong with the diffs, it was just crappy fluid all along.

I spent $3200 for a new transfer case for my AWD Astro Van, only later to find out that the real problem was the crappy GM fluid.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 11-27-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

I think you hit the nail on the head. I did not see a clip so it could very well have fallen off. Being ignorant about the details of this fitting, I popped it back in and pulled like hell and when it did not pull out, I assumed that was all I had to do. So I might have been very lucky that it didn't pop back off the rest of the race day. Thanks for the info!

John
The line does audibly POP into the fitting very securly. The C clip just secures it so it can't possibly pop back out. When you pull the line out to drain it, you really have to give it a sharp hard jank, and it audibly POPS out.
Like you said "you pulled like hell and it did not POP out".
Sounds like the line was put back into the hole but it was NOT POPPED back in, or it would not have just fallen out. They propably never put the clip back on at all.

BTW when you do pull the line loose, it is good to loosen the retaining clip that holds the line securly to the back of the diff cover. If you don't you may kinda bend the line getting it lose.

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 11-27-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:52 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
When you change the fluid go with the Amsoil..it cured all my grindy clunky rear end slip stick problems.
Now smooth as glass.
I wonder how many millions GM spent warrantyeing clunky rear ends because they used crappy diff lube. Nothing was ever wrong with the diffs, it was just crappy fluid all along.

I spent $3200 for a new transfer case for my AWD Astro Van, only later to find out that the real problem was the crappy GM fluid.

So do you use an entire tube of the Slip Lock with the gear oil?

John
Old 11-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

When I installed my line but didn't get it popped back in tight, it never dripped a drop after driving around for a few weeks. Sounds like you drove aroung for 9 months with the same thing.

I discovered mine just because every time before I go to the track, I put my car up on jack stands and spend about an hour underneath torquing bolts, checking things, looking for broken stuff, leaks, etc.
I gave that line a good yank, just to make sure, and it came right out, without "the ole pop". If you look right at it, it looks OK even if it is not all the way in.

Check out this broken retaining clip I found

Rather than replace it with another OEM weak link I custom made a stronger one

Last edited by Maxx Schlick; 11-28-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

So do you use an entire tube of the Slip Lock with the gear oil?

John
4oz. of Additive treats 1-2 qts of gear oil.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 AM
crossfire7
Racer

Originally Posted by C6 Z06
Depending on how they removed the line and or the clip the shape of the clip can easily be distorted.

Kent Moore has a tool to release the clip. If you pry it out with a small screwdriver be sure to bend it back to its original shape or use a new clip.

Get notified of new replies

To Lots of oil and smoke while racing last

Quick Reply: [Z06] Lots of oil and smoke while racing last