Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Super Bee85 Debuts at the Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Super Bee85 Debuts at the Autobahn

If you are looking for a sweet package from Halltech, then look no further. The Super Bee85 Alky motor by Katech will fulfill your dreams.

Truly a Clark Kent/Superbee85 kind of package, this Z06 was bone stock when delivered to Katech. It took longer to finish, since the pistons were not on the shelf (12:1CR) and we used the motor for LSXR intake manifold testing, a special product Katech is developing, and the Meziere Water Pump which came too late to put on the Engine dyno.

615 HP/ 558 lbs ft. on the engine dyno with E85 and with the stock intake manifold, throttle body, and no porting of any kind. Stock heads except for Katech's valve gear components.

627 HP (one pull was 629 with less torque) with the LSXR intake onboard, and only a couple more with their non FBW 102mm TB. Not worth the loss of torque and impossible to use in the FBW motors anyway. The intake manifold is simply astounding!

We did dyno test the Meziere Electric Water Pump, which was unfortunately not done before and after.

The results were 554 RWHP/494 lbs-ft. on the Mustang Dyno. You can do your own math, we know better than to create bragging rights from spurious interpolation of chassis dyno numbers. These numbers were with the stock intake manifold back in place (LSXR intake will add 12 to 14 more RWHP and about the same in torque)

Now the hard part. We can make arrangements to get your motor out and up to Katech, and back in your car.

I have done my own tuning since the above dyno numbers, and I can assure you the final result is Zero Traction which is the goal right? Well, we do it with a mild mannered cam, almost indistinguishable from the stock cam in terms of idle quality and surging issues, and track manners that beg for competition. Our chassis is completely stock, with run flats, and no lowering. The ZR1 wing is the only external mod.

Johnny O'Connell broke our car in on the track, and had this to say:

"Recently I had the opportunity to do some laps in a very unique car, that was built by my friends at Katech along with Jim Hall. Now over the years, I've driven in some very fast street corvettes, some that have more horsepower than our race car. But always with those engines you get an engine that is not smooth.... not good for comfortable everyday driving, and unless driven hard, just doesn't feel comfortable running slow and easy.

This engine was unique. Using E 85, it was so at home driving slowly, and when on the track and pulling the trigger, was as strong as anything I've driven in a long time. Unreal with how smooth the power was and just impressive as hell. Other than our race engines that Katech is building for the C6R... about the most impressive thing of theirs that I've driven."

Johnny O
Jim Painter, one of Katech's Instructors had this to say after his spin:
Originally Posted by Painrace
I had the privilage to drive Jim Hall's Super BeE85 this weekend after Johnny O'Connell. First let me say I have never been a fan of E85. I don't know why! I just always thought E85 would not produce like gas. Boy, was I wrong.

Jim's new ride powered by a Katech engine is abbsolutely unbelievable! It has the street manors of a C6 Coupe and performance that come to life with a 630 HP (I think that is right) unbelieveable motor. The car has so much power and it is so smooth it can get you out of trouble on a race course. I know because I got myself in trouble a couple of times with it. Jim Hall's friend, Jim, my passenger, did not say much until we stopped and then he said, "WOW, What a ride!" That is exactly what I thought.

Anyone that messes with this car is going to get one heck of a surprise! I still can't get over how smooth the power comes on. It actually makes it easy to drive and easy to get over your head quickly. The suspension felt stock but Jim will have to comment on that. The power is so smooth the car is just incredable. I am sure going to keep up with the Jim Hall / Katech development on this one. You just can't beat experts coming together to make a great product even better and that is what these guys have done.

Jim, my friend, many thanks for allowing me to try this car out at Track Attack. It was by far the most fun I had driving all day. If you ever need a "Shoe" again for that BEAST I will be available! I owe you one for the privilage of the ride of the day!

Many thanks,

Jim
Contact Jason at Katech to discuss this package. I was going to flip this car after building the engine and start another one, but this is a keeper. Oh, one more thing. Lighter than stock by 30 lbs. Imagine Katech's Club Sport Ultralight 2900 lb Z06 with this motor onboard!

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 05-16-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Old 05-16-2009, 06:52 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Hey Jim I forgot to ask if you are out and about and cannot find e85 is it possible to toss in some 91-93 octane in this without bad consequences??
Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dvandentop
Hey Jim I forgot to ask if you are out and about and cannot find e85 is it possible to toss in some 91-93 octane in this without bad consequences??
No. I have tuned this setup specifically for E85 and the higher compression ratio. E85 with its native 105 Octane is necessary when running this package.

I put 104 Octane Unleaded in at the track just before Johnny drove it the second time, and it ran very fat. The FlexFuel Virtual Switch was not turned on.

I retuned it for FlexFuel when I got back to WI, but the performance suffered from too much fuel enrichment. GM does this with everything, and the results felt like 50 or more HP loss. It ran fine, but not like it does with my Zero Traction tune.

The only way to convert to pure FlexFuel is to sacrifice power and compression ratio. There are plenty of E85 stations in many states when traveling, but I use my car around town. You do have to plan your trips though.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:33 PM
augydog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Here are the E85 stations in the US

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations.htm

augydog
Old 05-17-2009, 01:14 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question; where is the 30lbs of weigh reduction realized? Water pump & intake manifold +/or something else?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:16 PM
McMung
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by augydog
Here are the E85 stations in the US

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations.htm

augydog
That list is _way_ out of date. Go here instead: http://e85prices.com/california.html
Old 05-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by McMung
I have a question; where is the 30lbs of weigh reduction realized? Water pump & intake manifold +/or something else?
Carbon Fiber Killer Bee, Kooks Headers, Carbon Fiber Valve Covers.

The water pump adds about a lb with its motor.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 PM
El Puto
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad E85 is a pain in the *** to find
Old 05-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by El Puto
Too bad E85 is a pain in the *** to find
I have to agree with that, and this package is not for everyone. $1.89/gallon 105 Octane makes this fuel my preference.

Jason can tell you that I have been after Katech to build this package for over two years now. Even before Jay Leno did his C6.RS.

I also like the idea that the Race Team ran it in 08 and this year.

I felt that since Katech built the motors for them, they would have the wheel already made so to speak.

It still took a lot of dyno time to get good numbers, and the final tune took place at Halltech, which brought the bottom end power up considerably.

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 05-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you mean to tell me your car has more HP than when I drove it?

Jim
Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Painrace
Do you mean to tell me your car has more HP than when I drove it?

Jim
Just a little. Next, we will do our V2 Dynamic e-mailTUNE® on the road. This along with our Wideband setup will dial in the fuel trims perfectly.

It is even smoother now than before. If you look at the dyno, you can see the torque falters slightly below 4000 rpm. That is fixed.

Jim Booth, said he had to change his UnderArmour after your spin!

Tomorrow, Debbie will follow me up to Grafton to drop her off at Motorsport Composites for final fit on Katech's awesome wing. Should have it finished by mid week.

Are you ready to do yours? It won't work with gas. This is an Ethanol only setup.

Last edited by Halltech; 05-17-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Jim,

email me. I have another Katech Comparison dyno you might like to see.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

My first Z06. Fire Engine Red.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=Halltech;1570116920]Just a little.

Just a little!!! Man, that thing already had awesome smooth power!

SPIN, I did not do no stinking spin! Jim has a little drifting and a little tail flapping confused with a spin. That is how I know how smooth the power is. It got a little sideways after turn 5 and in the kink between turn 6 and turn 8 (I think that is right?). But, NO SPIN! Slightly letting off the power but keeping it on straightens the car right out. It is just so powerful and so smooth! I must say I loved it! I sure wish there were more E85 stations. This is the South and we like our gasoline!

Jim

Last edited by Painrace; 05-17-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious - is an injector upgrade not required? I'm basing this on the fact that the energy density of ethanol is only about 2/3rds of gasoline.

Also, wouldn't the lower price of ethanol be negated by the lower mileage?

The power is crazy though! It sounds like a mean package.

Last edited by AtlBlkZ06; 05-17-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Super Bee85 Debuts at the Autobahn

Old 05-17-2009, 09:08 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Jim that is way cool! I am contemplating on an E85 TT build on my personal car! Plans are to keep it at a modest 750 to 800 RWHP on pump E85. Its already easily done with pump gasoline but the extra octane on E85 means I can do it on less boost, theoretcally of course.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by tjwong
Jim that is way cool! I am contemplating on an E85 TT build on my personal car! Plans are to keep it at a modest 750 to 800 RWHP on pump E85. Its already easily done with pump gasoline but the extra octane on E85 means I can do it on less boost, theoretcally of course.
Just got back from testing my Zero Traction 2nd Gear Half Throttle Tune. There is no way to describe this car now without flagrant bragging so I won't attempt.

Texas Mile here we come!

Got a speeding ticket a few blocks from home 85 in a 45, but the cop said he heard the car scream and go sideways at that speed. He was correct. I hit the throttle in 2nd gear, maybe 1/2 throttle and the car fishtailed sideways the way our Twin Turbo C5 would do at the same speed.

There is no way I could accept his ticket. I have been stopped 15 times in the past 10 years, and only 1 ticket. He told me if I had not been wearing my seatbelt he would have only given me a seat belt violation. I could not tell a lie. My seatbelt was off, but I told him it was to retrieve my wallet, so he gave me a speeding ticket for 59 in a 45. Boy did I deserve that.

Just sent you our ZT2GHTT in LS2Edit format. I also have it in EFI Live.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

[quote=Painrace;1570117310]
Originally Posted by Halltech
Just a little.

Just a little!!! Man, that thing already had awesome smooth power!

SPIN, I did not do no stinking spin! Jim has a little drifting and a little tail flapping confused with a spin. That is how I know how smooth the power is. It got a little sideways after turn 5 and in the kink between turn 6 and turn 8 (I think that is right?). But, NO SPIN! Slightly letting off the power but keeping it on straightens the car right out. It is just so powerful and so smooth! I must say I loved it! I sure wish there were more E85 stations. This is the South and we like our gasoline!\

Jim
You must come out here and drive it again, now that I have tuned it. Seriously. I drove it after the event, and it was a completely different version of the Katech package. Preferable in my opinion. So much was left on the table, that I don't know if I really want the extra 15 HP from the LSXR! Just Kidding.

I can tell you that you would not know the car now. It is faster and more violent than my 700 HP Twin Turbo C5. Power to weight maybe, but I think we need to do a video in a safe location.

I had to take a little timing out of the bottom, sensing a little knocking at just off throttle. 12:1 will not tolerate gasoline. 105 Octane E85 will change your life.

http://www.drivingethanol.org/motors...teristics.aspx

Last edited by Halltech; 05-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Super Bee85 Debuts at the Autobahn