Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Why the ZR1 looks like old technology

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:28 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by blownlt1&c6z
Yes! But more to the point why come on a corvette forum to bash the car.....go to the forum of thier car and bash it there it will be more welcome there! And to insenuate that Ford is somehow more worthy because they didnt take bailout money???? Come on try to go throug life and not be connected in some way to a company that needed bailout funds!
I assume you aren't aiming those comments at me....
Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by blownlt1&c6z
Do you own a ZR1? Please tell me what car you do own from that company that didnt recieve bail out that can compete with our car? Cause I had a Ford GT and its not even close to the ZR1 in any catagory except in looks (in some peoples eyes) personally I think the ZR1 looks better too! Even if its not from Ford please tell me what car I can buy to compete with the ZR1 for 120k and have a 5 year 100k warranty?

And stop attacking someone for being a fan of a corvette on a corvette forum! I have met jas and he is a great guy and a great driver as well and he uses his car as intended (we met multiple times at Summit Point)

I personally think GM did a great job bringing us an "affordable super car" and as to people not buying it.....If the economy didnt take its turn this car would still have a huge waiting list!
Excuse me, but JAS was the one who took this thing to a personal level. It seems like he is capable of defending himself without your assistance.

My comments merely reflect what I, a lot of other folks, and much of the motoring press feel about certain aspects of the ZR1. For what it is worth, I have never said the ZR1 is anything except a great car, but one which could be improved upon. If you disagree, you are entitled to your opinion. If you like that lovely little opening in the hood, again, enjoy it.

I have owned a slew of vettes dating back into the '60's and have a Z06. Same criticism, except my car was 50K less. Your comment about the waiting list but for the economy going into the toilet and causing ZR1 sales to be slow is speculative at best. I don't believe the corvette fan base would support more than the 2K cars originally intended or GM would have planned for more production. The jump from a Z06 to a ZR1 is huge in terms of cost. Even before the crash, Z06 sales had started dropping significantly. This is where the ZR1 market would largely have come from, but the market was decimated by used Z06 values, even assuming that most Z06 owners could afford a 120K car, something I don't happen to believe. Even the Z06 market was going south in a hurry even before the fall of 2008 - August of '08, before things hit the fan, there were almost 2000 Z06's and over 8,000 vettes on dealer lots. To me, that suggests market saturation. You are now six years into the C6, which unlike the C5, was very evolutionary. It is time for something new. The economy, obviously, didn't help, but maybe the demand simply wasn't there in the numbers you suggest. Per Jeffhardy, there are 118 cars available as of this morning, in a brightening economy, and with BG largely on furlow.

Last edited by vette6799; 12-26-2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
I assume you aren't aiming those comments at me....
No....not at all pointed at you......Pointed toward the one that was touting that one domestic car company didn't need bailout funds!
Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM
rideintothesun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just curious, is it true GM used plastic to build the rear/front fender and trunk for the zr1.

I watched a top gear episode and they seem to think all of the zr-1 is made out of plastic, I thought the rear/front fender and trunk for the zr-1 were magnesium?

Can any zr-1 owner or zr-1 Guru shed any light on this please?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:31 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by rideintothesun
I am just curious, is it true GM used plastic to build the rear/front fender and trunk for the zr1.
The C5 Corvette introduced the widespread use of the plastic: SMC for its body panels. The C6 continues its use. The ZR1 is no different. It has some body panels (front fenders, roof panel, rocker panels) that are carbon fiber. The rest of the car's body is SMC.

Underneath the SMC and carbon fiber is where the aluminum and magnesium live.

jas
Old 12-26-2009, 05:36 PM
rideintothesun
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jvp
The C5 Corvette introduced the widespread use of the plastic: SMC for its body panels. The C6 continues its use. The ZR1 is no different. It has some body panels (front fenders, roof panel, rocker panels) that are carbon fiber. The rest of the car's body is SMC.

Underneath the SMC and carbon fiber is where the aluminum and magnesium live.

jas
Thanks for the info jvp
Old 12-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Howydo
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rideintothesun
Thanks for the info jvp
I believe the front and rear fenders, roof, rocker panel extensions, hood and much of the floor is made of carbon fiber. The engine cradle is magnesium and the chassis aluminim. The trunk, rear and front bumpers as well as the doors are plastic. The ZR1 is much different in composition. Then a regular corvette.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:13 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Why the ZR1 looks like old technology"
Okay think about this for a minute; 638 HP and 600 ft. lbs. of torque in a production vehicle that has a manufacturers warranty. Contrary to popular belief, there is some serious technology in this car. Life time rotors, Six and four piston calipers, Mag ride, Launch control, Active handling, Carbon fiber all over it, Dry Sump oiling system, Magnesium cradles, Diff cooler, True six speed trans, Dual clutch, and back to just power numbers (most powerful American car ever made) this is a 200 mph car that you can take a cross country and back trip in. I wonder if folks do that in the Lambo's, Ferrari's, Aston Martin's, etc. Yes there are a lot of cars out there making this kind of power and may go faster than a ZR1, but I doubt seriously that 99% of the owners would be willing take a several thousand mile coast to coast trip in one. You could do that in the ZR1. I am sorry but it took some state of the art technology to produce a 200+ mph American made car that can take on the world’s best costing 3 and 4 times the price. Now I bet if GM had asked about $25K more, they could have put a lamb skin leather interior, wool carpet, aluminum interior bits and pieces and even a titanium exhaust.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:19 AM
dietrich
Racer

I have an SMG gearbox in my BMW M6. It is ok when you are in M mode and drive fast but it is a bit jerky at low speeds in non-M mode especially when the car has not warmed up yet. Overall I would prefer a manual to SMG.

But .. SMG is now old technology compared to DCT gearbox in the latest M3. DCT is much better and although I have not driven this new Porsche the PDK transmission is also I think going to be very good. With these latest paddle shift I think they are finally getting better than a manual gearbox and unfortunately the manual gearbox may be disappearing pretty soon from most high performance cars. I don't know if Porsche would dare put one in the GT3 or Lotus in an Elise though (for examples) so I think at least some manuals will still be around.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dietrich
I have an SMG gearbox in my BMW M6. It is ok when you are in M mode and drive fast but it is a bit jerky at low speeds in non-M mode especially when the car has not warmed up yet. Overall I would prefer a manual to SMG.

But .. SMG is now old technology compared to DCT gearbox in the latest M3. DCT is much better and although I have not driven this new Porsche the PDK transmission is also I think going to be very good. With these latest paddle shift I think they are finally getting better than a manual gearbox and unfortunately the manual gearbox may be disappearing pretty soon from most high performance cars. I don't know if Porsche would dare put one in the GT3 or Lotus in an Elise though (for examples) so I think at least some manuals will still be around.

DCT transmissions, well I was impressed by those honestly. In a friends Carrera S, you CANNOT tell when the car is shifting, its smoother than an auto, barely has any lag during shifts and is pure insane.

One day vettes will have DCT's and infact pretty soon i shall guess.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:24 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At the end of the day, the ZR1 is 3+ year old tech. Certain parts are older than that (rotors). That's eons in automotive technology. The nice thing about the Porsche and other manufacturers nipping at its heels is it will keep GM thinking on its feet.

I like the ZR1 and everything it stands for, but it really needs to evolve a little (DCT as per above poster, possibly AWD, better interior materials, etc). Those things should be exclusive to the ZR1 and would also help separate it from the Z06 which, IMO, is the best bargain in the Corvette line.

RMX
Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 AM
REMIX
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dietrich
With these latest paddle shift I think they are finally getting better than a manual gearbox and unfortunately the manual gearbox may be disappearing pretty soon from most high performance cars. I don't know if Porsche would dare put one in the GT3 or Lotus in an Elise though (for examples) so I think at least some manuals will still be around.
Ferrari has eliminated manuals on the upcoming 458.

RMX
Old 12-28-2009, 04:02 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by REMIX

RMX
It has been replaced with a 50 ms seven speed DCT

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/56071,...ari-458-italia
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM
From C6ZO62C8
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes it would be nice for a tru automated trans, faster on a road course, AWD to take advantage of the power, but this car still out performs many super cars and is a challenge to drive.

The most important things is it can be driven daily and take a beating on the track and drive home, not many exotics can make that claim.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
tripwrL68400hp
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You know what? Who give a sh*t. I would not trade my ZR1 for another car. I looked at all the imports even a Ford GT40,,,and this car works for me period so I bought it and I have zero regrets,,,end of story,,,(if you want to know more see my post under the " What do you like best about the ZR1)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

I've never really thought about the ZR1 looking like old technology. Might have been because I was too busy beating the crap out of pretty much every other car being discussed in this thread.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
ole
Racer

Anyway, when you drive your ZR1 you should be proud of what GM was able to produce at a reasonable cost that now gets compared to all the "exotic" super cars out there. Also, any time you are in it and are driving around....just look around you and see if you can spot anything remotely in your performance category. Chances are, you will not. Besides, other than bragging rights around your friend circle what does it matter that a newer car came out that could "beat" yours? Unless you track them and do it for $$ I don't see what it matters. You press the fun pedal and hold on.

How true

Get notified of new replies

To Why the ZR1 looks like old technology

Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by REMIX

RMX
I'm sorry I would never buy a sports car that I couldnt slam the gears on. While I agree that something should be done to the Body of the ZR1 that would set it apart from the others more, you have to remember its a sports car you can cut its ***** off with to much plush on the inside, it has enough already. If you want that, buy a Caddy. I quote the late John Lingenfelter when he said, "Just give me an engine a body and a shifter" There is nothing wrong with the interior, people who want to roadrace the car can easily have the bolsters stuffed with more padding.

Last edited by NytmereZ; 12-29-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
I'm sorry I would never buy a sports car that I couldnt slam the gears on. While I agree that something should be done to the Body of the ZR1 that would set it apart from the others more, you have to remember its a sports car you can cut its ***** off with to much plush on the inside, it has enough already. If you want that buy a Caddy. I quote the late John Lingenfelter when he said, "Just give me an engine a body and a shifter"
Agree, if you can't drive a ZR1 or a viper for that matter because it isn't "nice enough" inside your man card should be suspended.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jorday
I've never really thought about the ZR1 looking like old technology. Might have been because I was too busy beating the crap out of pretty much every other car being discussed in this thread.
I don't know what the BCN some of the people on here are talking about, but I agree with the above poster..

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Why the ZR1 looks like old technology