Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Carbon Fiber drive shaft.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:54 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by tjwong
Boy you got that right! I recently completed a TTiX job in a 08 Z and I upgraded all the parts from the flywheel back. That included a RPS triple billet carbon clutch, a 1000hp rated prop shaft, RPM supplied the urethan prop shaft couplers, RPM level 5 transmission, their rear diff with 300M output shafts,Quaife Differential and a set of Driveshaft shop 1000hp rated half shafts. There was a considerable increase in noise with this setup, not as bad as a old C4 that had its dual mass flywheel replaced with a single mass but definitely a very noticable increase in noise. I later installed a standard C6 shifter box which elminated some of noise but its still more than stock. But when then go fast pedal is mashed and 800hp hits the wheels you forget about the noise real fast
The increase in NVH in your set up has nothing to do with the CF shaft.

In the case of the Corvette there should be little to no increase in NVH. ACPT has a very good product and I have used a few of their products in various applications and never an increase in NVH. I have had project vehicles that went from minor drivetrain vibration at very high speed to absolutely NO vibration at the same speed and higher, though. Product speaks for itself... LG has great experience with them, so I would go with their recommendation on using a rubber isolater or not(or whatever CF supplier you choose).
Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond

In the case of the Corvette there should be little to no increase in NVH. ACPT has a very good product and I have used a few of their products in various applications and never an increase in NVH. I have had project vehicles that went from minor drivetrain vibration at very high speed to absolutely NO vibration at the same speed and higher, though. Product speaks for itself... LG has great experience with them, so I would go with their recommendation on using a rubber isolater or not(or whatever CF supplier you choose).
What does the Phadt carbon driveshaft use as an isolator?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:01 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

It doesn't use an isolator on either end. It eliminates both isolators and bolts directly to the input shaft and pinion. That is why it is lighter than the rest and since it has no isolators, has a much higher torque rating.
Gary
Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
It doesn't use an isolator on either end. It eliminates both isolators and bolts directly to the input shaft and pinion. That is why it is lighter than the rest and since it has no isolators, has a much higher torque rating.
Gary

Would you then get more noise by not having the isolators compared to the LG shaft?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond

I didn't say it was attributed to the CF shaft. Most likely its the solid urethane couplers and or the triple disc billet carbon clutch or the combination of those parts. The clutch differs from the stock LS7 clutch in that its not only a triple disc unit but it doesn't have a sprung disc hub as the stock unit does. All this changes the dynamics of the drivetrain. In a 2008 Z06 all we did was to install a dual disc billet carbon clutch and there was an increase in drivetrain noise during idle, replacing the Z06 shifter box with a standard C6 box reduced the noise by more than half.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

I just ordered mine from Pfadt

Will let you know in a few weeks
Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PFADT
Old 01-17-2010, 12:31 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6landrocket
Would you then get more noise by not having the isolators compared to the LG shaft?
My guess is yes. However I don't have any first hand data to say how much or if any at all. I will have to wait until the budget allows me to get the Pfadt shaft. Pfadt shaft? ...
Gary
Old 01-23-2010, 01:41 PM
zo6landrocket
Instructor

Originally Posted by 40YRW8
My guess is yes. However I don't have any first hand data to say how much or if any at all. I will have to wait until the budget allows me to get the Pfadt shaft. Pfadt shaft? ...
Gary

Anybody running the Phadt carbon driveshaft?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:53 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taylor@DallasPerformance
PFADT
Old 02-04-2014, 03:24 PM
TexanKen
Intermediate

Default CF Driveshaft Question

If CF driveshaft(s) are the same or greater weight, are the claims of reduced 60' times at the track accurate or bogus? If true, what would account for the decrease? Stronger doesn't usually equate to quicker in my limited experience
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM
MR KOUT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody knows where to buy the Phadt carbon fiber driveshaft?
The following users liked this post:
Nosferatu333 (03-13-2016)
Old 05-18-2014, 04:42 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing as Pfadt is out of business, I would think they are hard to come by right now.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Przyojski
Instructor

Mine broke at JMS motorsports during testing as I was about to fly down to pick up the car. It was in low boost setting (about 850 hp). Still honoring this replacement? The end separated from the CF tube as you can see.

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
If you break my shaft, Ill replace it free of charge.

I dont care if someone says it wont break. I have customers that will break anything Its how you stand behind it when things do go wrong.

Last edited by Przyojski; 08-19-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:54 AM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I just installed a DSS 1000hp non CF prop with solid coupling at the tranny and rubber at the engine with no noticeable increase in vibration or noise.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:19 PM
Przyojski
Instructor

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
I just installed a DSS 1000hp non CF prop with solid coupling at the tranny and rubber at the engine with no noticeable increase in vibration or noise.
good to hear! I am trying to see if I can find a DSS one in stock somewhere. The lead time is so dang long. Otherwise RPM I can get one in ~ 3 wks. I don't wanna wait 😭😭😭

Quick Reply: [Z06] Carbon Fiber drive shaft.