Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Window seal dressing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM
kim.mitchell1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window seal dressing...

What do you guys do for the window seals when they lose the initial protective coating from the factory? On both my passenger and driver sides the window seal has started to turn dull and it is really not even black anymore, more grey than anything. Is there a product out there that will restore the seals back to their original shine? I 'm looking for something better and longer lasting than Armor All. Any suggestions?

Kim
Old 01-25-2010, 11:44 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

dielectric (sp?) grease...with a cleaning cloth...I believe this is in the owners manual under seal maintnance
Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

The Dielectric Grease will work.
When I detail the car I spray detailer on all the window seals when I do the car. Wipe off with clean soft cloth. Car is 3 years old and stuff looks new.

No! The car isn't a Garage Queen.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
ZPO
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm going out on a limb here but I had a spray can of "MOTUL _SHINE & GO", left over from my ATV / motorcycle days and it will restore dulled black plastics and underhood rubber hoses / plastics back to new looking. I always sprayed the ATV's down with it as it helps keep mud and muck from sticking to the plastics. I also have used it on the window seals as well. I have used it with great results on all the black plastic exterior components on my truck as well. My old chalky black truck mirrors look new again.
I had never really liked the way Amorall looked after you applied it, (too greasy looking). Aerospace 303 protectorant is a good choice but the fine spray of the Motul Shine & Go penetrates all the hard to get at spots. Several folks asked me how I kept the underhood area like new and it was the Motul stuff. (Just don't spray your fan belts.)
Most of the larger cycle dealers carry this stuff. Oh, it has an orange smell to it so use it sparingly.
Anyone else care to comment on this stuff????
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Carnac
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Krytox is supposed to be the best. Recommended by GM.

Available from Ecklers...

"Krytox fluorinated grease by DuPont is a weatherstrip saver. It preserves and lubricates to prolong the life of expensive weatherstrip."

Or Amazon...

"Excellent for Stopping Persistent Squeaks in Automobiles, Machinery, Fixtures or Tools. Insoluble in Common Solvents. High Temperature Stability Up to 650°F (344°C). CRL Krytox High Performance Lubricant is excellent for windshield molding and interior trim squeaks, and is compatible with plastics, rubber, ceramics and metals. Krytox Lubricant is also ideal for use on machinery, tools, bearings or virtually any area where lubrication is required. Since GPL205 Lubricant is fluorinated, it can be used around chemicals, and is non-flammable. It is safe to work with in almost any application."

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by Carnac; 01-25-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 PM
intheboost
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPO
Aerospace 303 protectorant is a good choice
+1
Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 PM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnac

"Krytox fluorinated grease by DuPont is a weatherstrip saver. It preserves and lubricates to prolong the life of expensive weatherstrip."

Or Amazon...

"Excellent for Stopping Persistent Squeaks in Automobiles, Machinery, Fixtures or Tools. Insoluble in Common Solvents. High Temperature Stability Up to 650°F (344°C). CRL Krytox High Performance Lubricant is excellent for windshield molding and interior trim squeaks, and is compatible with plastics, rubber, ceramics and metals. Krytox Lubricant is also ideal for use on machinery, tools, bearings or virtually any area where lubrication is required. Since GPL205 Lubricant is fluorinated, it can be used around chemicals, and is non-flammable. It is safe to work with in almost any application."

Cheers - Jim
Good stuff..... but very $$$
Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 AM
MChicado
Racer

Or Amazon...

Cheers - Jim
Good info--I think I'll try some.

V/R,

MC
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Nice post MC

Just had a PM about a catch can install.

You car looked great today, I should have driven mine, might be the only nice weather day this week...

Cheers - Jim

This was a good trip --- before spoiler and splitter...

Last edited by Carnac; 01-26-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 AM
MChicado
Racer

Nice post MC

Just had a PM about a catch can install.

You car looked great today, I should have driven mine, might be the only nice weather day this week...

Cheers - Jim

This was a good trip --- before spoiler and splitter...

Jim,

I've made some very detailed instructions (with pics) for CC install. I'll get them to you tonight (check MAC)/tomorrow (check MIL).

MC

Last edited by MChicado; 01-26-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
cetro
Advanced

Or Amazon...

Cheers - Jim
Jim, is this the product?

http://www.amazon.com/Krytox-O-ring-...ref=pd_cp_hi_1
Old 01-26-2010, 02:08 PM
kim.mitchell1
Racer

Thanks for the input. I will look into some of the suggestions and try one.

Kim
Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 AM
Carnac
Drifting

Originally Posted by cetro
I don't think so, there are a lot of Krytox products. The one in your link says that it is a white lube, The one I purchased is Krytox GPL205 and is translucent (it looks a lot like dielectric grease).

On Amazon it comes in a 1/2 oz syringe for $35.50.

http://www.amazon.com/C-R-Laurence-K...4571937&sr=8-8

Or the product that I got from Ecklers (just search Krytox at Ecklers.com). They have the 2 oz tube for $50. The tube looks like the one in your link, but I think it is a different product. The ones I found are specifically for weather stripping - no silicon or pfte. Anyway - this is the product that I went with.

You want to stay away from silicone products around composite body parts - once silicone gets into them, the are almost impossible to repair or paint. Ask any of the guys that work on gliders (lots of composite and fiberglass) - they don't let any silicone produce get around their planes.

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by Carnac; 01-27-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Window seal dressing...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Window seal dressing...