Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Checking oil in a Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 AM
SLVRC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking oil in a Z06

I traded UP from a C6 to a Z06 and have this question - sounds stupid - "How/When do you check the oil" AND do you keep it to the 3rd (top) "dot/hole" or in the middle somewhere (less pressure):
1. Check when it is hot?
2. Check when it is cold?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 AM
logan1080
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your oil regularly just like you would/should on a normal vehicle. There are instructions in the manual but here yah go. Start the car and let it run for a few minutes unless you were just driving around. Shut car off and wait for at least 5 minutes but no more than about 10 minutes I would say. I think the 3 dots are the operating range but try to keep it at the 3rd (full) dot.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:43 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by logan1080
Check your oil regularly just like you would/should on a normal vehicle. There are instructions in the manual but here yah go. Start the car and let it run for a few minutes unless you were just driving around. Shut car off and wait for at least 5 minutes but no more than about 10 minutes I would say. I think the 3 dots are the operating range but try to keep it at the 3rd (full) dot.
There is a minimum temp specified in the manual, and the waiting time is important. Also, do not overfill. The scavenge system will not work properly, and internal pressures will build up.

BTW - I used to drive 911s with a dry sump system, and they had an oil level guage on the dash. It worked great. Don't know why Chevy can't do that...

Old 01-30-2010, 03:52 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe the gist is get oil temp up to at least 170F and wait 5 to 20 minutes after shutting engine off before checking.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:05 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I believe it is wait 5 minutes, then check, but if you wait longer than 15 minutes you'll have to start it again...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:23 AM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

big ole sticky on this and i think.........

it's............

in...........

the............

MANUAL
Old 01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVRC6
I traded UP from a C6 to a Z06 and have this question - sounds stupid - "How/When do you check the oil" AND do you keep it to the 3rd (top) "dot/hole" or in the middle somewhere (less pressure):
1. Check when it is hot?
Check it hot after 5 minute wait, never add oil until it is at the end of cross hatch and then only 1 quart, if you over fill it will over come the rings and cause oil useage.
z51vett
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 AM
shifter77
Drifting

Get your z to operating temp & check after 5min. I keep my level just a tick below the full line.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 AM
triblk6spd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Level ground is important here too.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:10 PM
skudlw
Burning Brakes

How about reading the MANUAL????
The following users liked this post:
Larry Myers (07-04-2020)
Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by skudlw
How about reading the MANUAL????
I agree! It drives me freakin' insane reading posts like this. You have an expensive, high performance car but can't read the god d*mn manual. I just don't get it....

Rant off.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mforman42
The scavenge system will not work properly, and internal pressures will build up.
While I religously check my oil and even read the manual, I have noticed VERY HIGH OIL PRESSURSES. At times over 90 PSI and even at idle and light throttle it's over 50/60 PSI.

Should I be concerned? Also what if the dealer used dino oil? I bought the car pre-owned in Sept and of course I asked and was ASSURED they used Mobil 1 5-30 but after just 2600 miles my Oil Life monitor is down to 30%. On my 06 Z51 (even tracked) I managed 7500 to 9000 miles before it got that low. Could DINO OIL be causing my HIGH PSI??

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-31-2010, 12:49 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVRC6
1. Check when it is hot?
From the Manual...

Checking Engine Oil (Z06 Only)
It is a good idea to check the engine oil level every time
you get fuel. In order to get an accurate reading, the
oil must be warm and the vehicle must be on level
ground.
The engine oil dipstick handle is a yellow loop. The
dipstick is located on the dry sump engine oil tank. See
Engine Compartment Overview on page 5-14 for the
location of the dry sump engine oil tank.
Z06 models have a racetrack-ready dry sump engine
lubrication system. This high-performance system
operates differently than a standard engine lubrication
system and requires a special procedure when checking
the engine oil level. Follow this procedure closely
when checking the engine oil level.
The engine oil level must be checked when the engine
is warm. Cold oil level in the dry sump tank may not
indicate the actual amount of oil in the system. With this
system, engine oil is contained in an external tank,
separate from the engine. Under normal operating
conditions, the oil pan under the engine does not store
any oil. If the vehicle has been parked for an extended
period without the engine being started, some oil
will seep back into the oil pan, reducing the amount of
oil held in the dry sump tank and there could be no
engine oil at all showing on the dipstick. This is normal
since the dipstick is designed to read engine oil level
only after the engine has run long enough to reach
normal operating temperature. Do not add engine oil
based on cold engine dipstick readings. The engine oil
level on the dipstick will also be inaccurate if checked
while the engine is running.
1. To obtain an accurate engine oil level reading,
warm up the engine to at least 175°F (80°C).
Cold oil will not give a correct oil level reading.
2. Once the engine is warm, turn off the engine.
Checking the oil while the engine is running
will result in an incorrect oil level reading.
3. Wait at least five minutes (but not more than
20 minutes) to allow oil to drain and settle in
the engine.
4. Remove the dipstick from the external engine oil
tank and clean it with a lint-free paper towel or a
cloth. Re-insert the dipstick into the external oil tank,
pushing it all the way in until it stops.
5. Remove the dipstick from the oil tank and read the
level on the cross-hatched area. Oil levels that fall
in the cross-hatched area are normal.
When to Add Engine Oil (Z06 Only)
If the oil is below the cross-hatched area at the tip of
the dipstick, add at least one quart/liter of the
recommended oil through the oil fill cap opening in the
oil tank. This section explains what kind of oil to
use. For engine oil crankcase capacity, see Capacities
and Specifications on page 5-103.
See Racing or Other Competitive Driving on page 4-15
for additional information on engine oil.
Notice: Do not add too much oil. If the engine has
so much oil that the oil level gets above the
cross-hatched area that shows the proper operating
range, the engine could be damaged.
See Engine Compartment
Overview on page 5-14 for
the location of the
external engine oil tank
and fill cap.
Be sure to add enough oil to put the level somewhere in
the proper operating range. Push the dipstick all the way
back into the oil tank when you are through.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3LZZ06:
FinnC4 (07-04-2019), reaper263 (06-24-2021), SgtBAXMAN (12-08-2017)
Old 01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
While I religously check my oil and even read the manual, I have noticed VERY HIGH OIL PRESSURSES. At times over 90 PSI and even at idle and light throttle it's over 50/60 PSI.

Should I be concerned? Also what if the dealer used dino oil? I bought the car pre-owned in Sept and of course I asked and was ASSURED they used Mobil 1 5-30 but after just 2600 miles my Oil Life monitor is down to 30%. On my 06 Z51 (even tracked) I managed 7500 to 9000 miles before it got that low. Could DINO OIL be causing my HIGH PSI??

Thanks

Tom
At operating temp 140F and above, my car idles with oil pressure at around 35psi. I would be very concerned with 90psi at idle. I would change the oil and keep an eye on the oil pressure. If there's no change, bring it to the dealer for a check up.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Joopman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read the manual
So, EVERYONE on here does exactly what the manual says?

NO

Sometimes, people on here offer extra information that the manual does not. Hell, most of the time, people on here have better solutions to deal with some issues that Chevy say are a must.

I guess each of you use the EXACT recommended lubricants, solvents, and cleaners that THE MANUAL recommend.

Give it a break. Especially when a newbie comes on here and sees how almost everyone has suggestions to "MODIFY" how we deal with our corvettes. Then they want to know the "REAL DEAL" about something as basic as an oil change.

Concerning an oil change, look it up in a search here. You will find NUMEROUS different suggestions that do not exactly follow the manual.

There are a million examples of modifications to what the manual suggests on here. Why preach it?

This site is for entertainment and information. I get more entertainment and information on here from a post where a newbie asks a question than from a Senior Member who only suggest to read the manual.

Newbies . . . You can ask ***ANY*** question on here. You will get the answers that you need from concerned posters. Just keep in mind that you will also get some responses that offer ***ZERO*** information pertaining to your specific question.

Last edited by Joopman; 01-31-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM
lar66BB
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Default oil

[QUOTE=Joopman;1572939159]So, EVERYONE on here does exactly what the manual says?

NO

Sometimes, people on here offer extra information that the manual does not. Hell, most of the time, people on here have better solutions to deal with some issues that Chevy say are a must.

I guess each of you use the EXACT recommended lubricants, solvents, and cleaners that THE MANUAL recommend.

Give it a break. Especially when a newbie comes on here and sees how almost everyone has suggestions to "MODIFY" how we deal with our corvettes. Then they want to know the "REAL DEAL" about something as basic as an oil change.

Concerning an oil change, look it up in a search here. You will find NUMEROUS different suggestions that do not exactly follow the manual.

There are a million examples of modifications to what the manual suggests on here. Why preach it?

This site is for entertainment and information. I get more entertainment and information on here from a post where a newbie asks a question than from a Senior Member who only suggest to read the manual.

Newbies . . . You can ask ***ANY*** question on here. You will get the answers that you need from concerned posters. Just keep in mind that you will also get some responses that offer ***ZERO*** information pertaining to your specific question.[/QUOTE

completely, we were all newbies at on time.
The following users liked this post:
jbeezy (10-17-2020)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

With knowing GM increased capacity on 09+ Z06's due to oil starvation concerns, I always run my oil level to the top of the cross hatched area (all 3 holes covered). Remember if your on the low end towards the bottom of the cross-hatched your already running nearly 1 quart low!

As stated I keep mine full at all times, I've noticed a little less then 1/4 quart usage every 3-4k miles. This method has worked for me, never noticed any symptoms of overfilling ie: oil in the intake.

Get notified of new replies

To Checking oil in a Z06

Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
after just 2600 miles my Oil Life monitor is down to 30%.
I run mine down to 0% ..... thats what the 0% is for.

I notice that hard track day does not move the oil monitor.

But lots of stop n' go and cold oil temps drop it quickly.

At the rate your monitor is indicating it looks like you should get to 5K miles which seems reasonable for synthetic.

DH
Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 AM
frankgtb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joopman

NO

Newbies . . . You can ask ***ANY*** question on here. You will get the answers that you need from concerned posters. Just keep in mind that you will also get some responses that offer ***ZERO*** information pertaining to your specific question.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:01 PM
CraftyCraft
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Joopman

NO

Thank you. I was getting worried I bought a car with a set of forums that were completely useless. Getting info for my C6Z feels rough so far. You've given me some hope explaining this.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Checking oil in a Z06