Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 block repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:06 PM
s2pdfst_z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 block repairable?

As the title states, anyone know if the LS7 block is repairable? The sleeve on cylinder #5 is cracked and there's a crack on the lower left corner of the cylinder wall.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:21 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

I would not use that block. Its not just the sleeve. It looks like the water jackets are damaged badly.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm pretty sure the LS7 can be resleaved, but the picture you provided shows damage to the block and I'd say it is now one big paper weight.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
I would not use that block. Its not just the sleeve. It looks like the water jackets are damaged badly.

That block would require a lot of welding before it could be resleeved. It's not worth it, either in time/money or risk. Sorry about that.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Buy a glass table top since you have a base...
Old 02-06-2010, 04:52 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be salvageable. Darton makes a MID (modular integrated deck) sleeve that removes the water jacket completely; coolant flows through ports in the sleeve flange and contacts the iron sleeve directly. It costs about the same as a new LS7 block, but with ductile iron sleeves (vs. stock grey iron) you get LSX type strength and you can go up to a 4.200 bore. Call Steve at Race Engine Development (760) 630-0450 and send him some high res pics, he'll be able to tell you if he can fix it.

Last edited by dfinke23; 02-06-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
s2pdfst_z06
Instructor

I'm just trying to get an idea if I should try to sell it as a cracked short block, or salvage the crank, connecting rods, etc. and take the block to an aluminum recycler.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:43 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There has been issues with using the MID system. Mainly head gasket integrity and water containment. It is imperative that the block prep is correct and that the sleeves are installed correctly. If any one can do it then its Steve. I have seen two of them fail here in my area. Both were 4.125 bores, one a 427 the other a 377, both made great power normally aspirated but they couldn't keep headgaskets in them. To me it appeared that the sleeves moved and then compromised the gaskets.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tjwong
There has been issues with using the MID system. Mainly head gasket integrity and water containment. It is imperative that the block prep is correct and that the sleeves are installed correctly. If any one can do it then its Steve. I have seen two of them fail here in my area. Both were 4.125 bores, one a 427 the other a 377, both made great power normally aspirated but they couldn't keep headgaskets in them. To me it appeared that the sleeves moved and then compromised the gaskets.
... the one downside is that you have to use Cometic gaskets. We used copper coat, torqued to specs, heat cycled and re-torqued; so far zero issues.
Bowtiguy had problems with the "dry" sleeves moving; where the two that you saw MID or dry sleeves?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dfinke23
... the one downside is that you have to use Cometic gaskets. We used copper coat, torqued to specs, heat cycled and re-torqued; so far zero issues.
Bowtiguy had problems with the "dry" sleeves moving; where the two that you saw MID or dry sleeves?
Both are MID sleeves. I have two engines (including mine) one is a TT car making in excess of 800whp, mine is the same build but isn't in the car yet. Plans are for a FI application about the same wheel power. So far so good no issues with the one running and the owner runs it hard! I also use copper coat although Cometic doesn't recommend it, if I don't use it I have had leaks, everytime I have used it no leaks. I have since gone to OE GM MLS gaskets, I have never every had a leak with them and I don't use any kind of sealer on their gaskets, the main thing is that I make sure the surfaces are clean.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Did Steve do the MID sleeves on the two that failed?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 PM
kelp
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend Steve, he did my block with Darton sleeves. How much is Aluminum per pound?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

It is difficult to tell if this is repairable by looking at the picture. You need to finish taking it apart and take it to a reputable shop for inspection. Generally, if the mains and water jackets are intact, it is repairable. If they are damaged, it gets into the that depends category. They can still be repaired, but it rapidly gets more expensive than buying a replacement block.

I can see pieces of piston still in the bottom. Looks like another cast piston bit the dust. Did a valve come loose first?

Best of luck!
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Did Steve do the MID sleeves on the two that failed?
I am not sure its been some time ago. I am pretty sure one of them was done in Texas somewhere, not sure where the other was done. I know Steve is in California so I don't think it was him. He has done two sleeve jobs for me recently but not the MID system.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 AM
s2pdfst_z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by kelp
I would recommend Steve, he did my block with Darton sleeves. How much is Aluminum per pound?
It's about 0.90/lb here.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 AM
s2pdfst_z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vito.A
It is difficult to tell if this is repairable by looking at the picture. You need to finish taking it apart and take it to a reputable shop for inspection. Generally, if the mains and water jackets are intact, it is repairable. If they are damaged, it gets into the that depends category. They can still be repaired, but it rapidly gets more expensive than buying a replacement block.

I can see pieces of piston still in the bottom. Looks like another cast piston bit the dust. Did a valve come loose first?

Best of luck!
Exhaust valve head came off.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SilverNBlackC6
Exhaust valve head came off.
Seen that one once too many:

It ain't pretty!

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 block repairable?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:05 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It may be salvageable. Darton makes a MID (modular integrated deck) sleeve that removes the water jacket completely; coolant flows through ports in the sleeve flange and contacts the iron sleeve directly. It costs about the same as a new LS7 block, but with ductile iron sleeves (vs. stock grey iron) you get LSX type strength and you can go up to a 4.200 bore. Call Steve at Race Engine Development (760) 630-0450 and send him some high res pics, he'll be able to tell you if he can fix it.

Wow, that's a very very sharp solution to resleeving this block. Somebody had their thinking cap on for sure.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:56 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Wondering what is the number 1 cause of an LS7's failure.... Is it power or poor tuning? Few LS2 owners always complained of the cylinder#7 running hotter than others due to fuel starvation... LS7 do have the same fuel setup (returnless design).

Can you please explain the failure you have experienced in further detail.. And what mods were done at the time of failure? Thank you in advance for your feedback....

As far as salvinging this block.... IMO... I wouldn't due to extent of visible damage and who knows all other areas that are stressed due to this failure that is not visible to the naked eye. Go the LSX route and you will have a piece of mind and a crap load of power...

Last edited by JDMUSCLE; 02-07-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:55 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
Wondering what is the number 1 cause of an LS7's failure.... Is it power or poor tuning? Few LS2 owners always complained of the cylinder#7 running hotter than others due to fuel starvation... LS7 do have the same fuel setup (returnless design).

Can you please explain the failure you have experienced in further detail.. And what mods were done at the time of failure? Thank you in advance for your feedback....

As far as salvinging this block.... IMO... I wouldn't due to extent of visible damage and who knows all other areas that are stressed due to this failure that is not visible to the naked eye. Go the LSX route and you will have a piece of mind and a crap load of power...
The LSX was too heavy for me, in all of the wrong places.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 block repairable?