Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2009 Z06 Halltech Killer Bee & Hive fitment / CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 2009 Z06 Halltech Killer Bee & Hive fitment / CEL

2009 Z06 - Looking for feedback related to Halltech Killer Bee and Bee Hive installation.
1) Are CEL issues common with this installation?
I've checked for tightness of MAF sensor. I've also researched CAI related CEL and there are vague posts out there..One rather direct thread references a Service Bulletin (08-06-04-040) about the fitment of CAI "This condition may be caused by a gap between the upper radiator air baffle and the bumper beam combined with some beam holes." I did ask the deal about CAI intake and they said it's fine and doesn't void the warranty (assume no cutting).

2) How about fitment? I wasn't thrilled with the fitment of the Bee Hive. Is some Dremel tweaking necessary? The filter 'neck' didn't fit real well over the top of the radiator housing. There was some binding/flexing of the silicone attachment to the throttle body. Perhaps this is why it is silicone and flexible but the bellows of the stock attachment now make very good sense for fitment at least. The Bee hive was also binding/buldging on the top of the filter 'neck' between the front of the car where the hood mounts and the filter neck.
The sides of the bee hive were binding on the radiator shroud.

Any experience with fitment or CEL is appreciated.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:23 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Fitment on mine was good; however, the beehive needs a little finess during installation. I would make sure you push the unit down flat to eliminate any sloppy fit. Also, I added a little adhesive to the weather stipping to make sure it would not come loose. It has provided outstanding results at the strip.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:25 PM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I've got that setup and have never had and check engine lights. The behive is a different story. It didn't fit right when I installed it. I also thought it should be sealed a little better(there were gaps everywhere.) So I did some cutting and tweaking to get it to fit perfect. I also used weather seal around the whole thing. I cut the opening in the top of the behive and used more rubber seal so it fits nice and tight around the intake tube. I also used left over pieces from the Exotic Vette insulation kit and covered the underside of the behive. So after all that I've got the air filter sealed off from the engine compartment so it should be breathing nothing but cold air.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:55 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback so far! I'll add these thoughts for feedback also
I was a bit hesitant to cut the bottom of the radiator support for the 'RAM air" affect. I did however notice that there isn't much air intake area in that enclosed space once the bee hive seals the top and side area (without bottom cuts made).
I'm wondering, does the NACA duct provide enough volume of air to satisfy the intake/throttle body system without the cutouts?
Also, I noticed a high pitch squeal from the engine when I accelerate quickly after the killer bee/bee hive installation. I assume this is at the point where the throttle body is just beginning to open and the air is rushing (whistling) as it rushes by the plate. Since the filter is less restrictive and more open (well inside the bee hive) you can hear this audible whistle/squeal.
Do others notice the whistle/squeal? If not, this may be a leak at the throttle body connection and the source of the CEL....
Thanks for your inputs!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:46 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

I installed the Vette-Air with my system. This ensured enough airflow into the Killer Bee.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badtantrum
2009 Z06 - Looking for feedback related to Halltech Killer Bee and Bee Hive installation.
1) Are CEL issues common with this installation?
I've checked for tightness of MAF sensor. I've also researched CAI related CEL and there are vague posts out there..One rather direct thread references a Service Bulletin (08-06-04-040) about the fitment of CAI "This condition may be caused by a gap between the upper radiator air baffle and the bumper beam combined with some beam holes." I did ask the deal about CAI intake and they said it's fine and doesn't void the warranty (assume no cutting).

2) How about fitment? I wasn't thrilled with the fitment of the Bee Hive. Is some Dremel tweaking necessary? The filter 'neck' didn't fit real well over the top of the radiator housing. There was some binding/flexing of the silicone attachment to the throttle body. Perhaps this is why it is silicone and flexible but the bellows of the stock attachment now make very good sense for fitment at least. The Bee hive was also binding/buldging on the top of the filter 'neck' between the front of the car where the hood mounts and the filter neck.
The sides of the bee hive were binding on the radiator shroud.

Any experience with fitment or CEL is appreciated.

I would get ahold of Jim Hall from Halltech on this. I'm sure he can rectify any issues you're having with the Bee and hive.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM
badtbon
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fknfst
I've got that setup and have never had and check engine lights. The behive is a different story. It didn't fit right when I installed it. I also thought it should be sealed a little better(there were gaps everywhere.) So I did some cutting and tweaking to get it to fit perfect. I also used weather seal around the whole thing. I cut the opening in the top of the behive and used more rubber seal so it fits nice and tight around the intake tube. I also used left over pieces from the Exotic Vette insulation kit and covered the underside of the behive. So after all that I've got the air filter sealed off from the engine compartment so it should be breathing nothing but cold air.

Pictures are worth a thousand words! I hear there's a NewBee in town.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, I noticed a high pitch squeal from the engine when I accelerate quickly after the killer bee/bee hive installation. I assume this is at the point where the throttle body is just beginning to open and the air is rushing (whistling) as it rushes by the plate. Since the filter is less restrictive and more open (well inside the bee hive) you can hear this audible whistle/squeal.
Do others notice the whistle/squeal? If not, this may be a leak at the throttle body connection and the source of the CEL....
Thanks for your inputs!
i get the whistle sound now too ... from about 2k-3.5k rpms.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
I installed the Vette-Air with my system. This ensured enough airflow into the Killer Bee.
Ahh yes master.. You are correct
Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

Saw this pop up and thought I'd respond with updates. I did speak with Jim Hall. Jim explained that they have installed this system on many Z06's and he's confident it fits with the right installation process. It fit well enough with just a bit of trimming in my application and I'm OK with that. There might be enough variability in spacing/mounting that makes for some onsite adjustment necessary.
Originally Posted by Nick 02 Z06
I would get ahold of Jim Hall from Halltech on this. I'm sure he can rectify any issues you're having with the Bee and hive.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
1badtantrum
Instructor

I did get both the long strip for the front hood seal and the two rear seals.
The 'intake tube' does want to 'ride up' based on the bend (or lack of) at the connection to the throttle body and the arc of the intake tube itself. The filter connection also can cause the beehive to raise up as it might hit on the filter if the filter is mounted too high on the intake tube. This is what Jim was saying causes the most issues. The filter is mounted too high on the intake tube. You might need to push the filter down more on the neck so the beehive does not push up as much and contact the hood. From what I understand this (shape and tube length at filter mount) are some of the adjustments made to the new Beehive II.
I still do get a high pitch whistling that is very noticeable at lower RPM (partial open throttle body). I'm quite certain that is simply the throttle body taking a big breath of air. One guy asked if that was SC whine?? Uh no just whine
After that initial CEL, I have had no additional CELs. I discussed the CEL with Jim as well. He was confident that the CAI had not caused a CEL based on the many installations they have. There is always a first time but I felt reasonably reassured. I did start the car one time with the MAF not mounted into the new CAI but didn't see a CEL during that start which was only for a few moments. That could have caused the CEL on the next start from what I understand. Then, it was simply a matter of resetting it which I did via unplugging the battery. If you are getting it repeatedly, read the code to make sure it is associated.

Originally Posted by ttgangsta
I just installed the bee-hive and killer bee as well and I am having the same exact results. I have now gotten two check engine lights after carefully checking and re-checking the connection points. I noticed I have to sort of bend the intake down to close the hood before I installed the bee-hive. I also have the super high pitched whistling noise, I had it with my previous K&N intake which was part of the reason i bought the killer bee in the first place. I also didn't get any weather stripping for the front part of the beehive by the bumper. In the video it shows the really long strip for the front, but I only got the two strips for the back. Is this standard now?

I will admit the bee-hive did take some finesse to get in place but once see it has been fine.

Would love to hear what you conclude as I just got another CEL lol.

Last edited by 1badtantrum; 04-05-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Add whistle detail
Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Saw this pop up and thought I'd respond with updates. I did speak with Jim Hall. Jim explained that they have installed this system on many Z06's and he's confident it fits with the right installation process. It fit well enough with just a bit of trimming in my application and I'm OK with that. There might be enough variability in spacing/mounting that makes for some onsite adjustment necessary.
Phone calls to tech support usually resolve simple issues. Codes only happen when the hose clamp is tightened when the engine is very hot. Even though our bridge end is Nylon 66 with glass impregnation, it can collapse right where the worm gear is if tightened too tight causing an air leak there.

This issue is resolved completely with the new Killer Bee II.

We actually put a note on our new Killer Bee II hose clamp, not to tighten that clamp at all, since the hose itself is wrapped around that end so tight that a hose clamp becomes unnecessary except to look complete.

Jim Hall
Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

I did start the car one time with the MAF not mounted into the new CAI but didn't see a CEL during that start which was only for a few moments. That could have caused the CEL on the next start from what I understand..
That pretty much explains the code. It takes 2 seconds of runtime to set a code, and having the MAF sensor not installed would trip more than one code.

That is why it went away. Once you installed the MAF, that eliminated the giant hole, correcting the code.

Thanks for the update. Disconnecting the battery will reset long term fuel trims, but it will not delete codes in the computer. 40 on off cylcles without the same code failure will erase the codes automatically, or a simple handheld like our new SCT X3 tuner will also read and delete codes permanently.
The whistle is from the throttle body, not the intake. It is easier to hear with the low restriction filters. I have heard this comment for 12 years now.

Thanks!

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 04-05-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

No whistling, fitment, or issues with mine. Beehive was a pain to get on the first time but fit good and no issues. Logging intake temps without anything cutout shows 4-5 degrees over ambient cruising around. Car made 490rwhp on the dyno with LG headers, haltech with beehive and a tune.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Unreal
No whistling, fitment, or issues with mine. Beehive was a pain to get on the first time but fit good and no issues. Logging intake temps without anything cutout shows 4-5 degrees over ambient cruising around. Car made 490rwhp on the dyno with LG headers, haltech with beehive and a tune.

Now I know why you call yourself Unreal!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 PM
ttgangsta
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Halltech rocks!

Jim I just can't believe how much better the car responds to throttle input. Not to mention as I posted in the other thread, I feel like there is a significant increase in power in the 2000-3000 RPM range. Not saying it isn't all the way up, but wow what a difference this aspect makes in daily driving!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

One state away. I was just down to Chicago, IL Saturday and Sunday. You are right, I would have personally delivered the grommet to help you install the system. I have driven to IL before to deliver systems.

I take full responsibility for forgetting to drill one hole. Please accept my apology.

You should not have the hole in the connector hose. That will not work. I would be happy to replace the bridge with one that I have drilled and put a grommet in, along with a new hose.

"call me". 262-965-4300

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 04-06-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Z06 Halltech Killer Bee & Hive fitment / CEL

Old 04-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks Jim for your great customer service I will call or pm you.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
Thanks Jim for your great customer service I will call or pm you.

Thanks,

Did you get the Carbon Fiber Super Bee or Killer Bee II in plastic?

The Super Bee CF112 does not come with a hole in the carbon fiber. We recommend that only qualified shops that can tune and install this system do the work, which you probably had.

The PCV, is not a PCV since it does not vent the crankcase. It is a breather tube for the Dry Sump Canister, which can be routed to the filter with the nipple provided in the package. That is the recommended placement by Katech Engine Development and the folks that build the aftermarket Dry Sump Systems.

Our goal was to eliminate the turbulence from the hole in the bridge right before the throttle body for a "no obstruction to flow" intake system.

Jim
Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Its clear that Jim Halltech will do whatever is necessary to stand behind his products 1000%, and you just can't beat that type of customer service which is getting harder and harder to find these days!

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2009 Z06 Halltech Killer Bee & Hive fitment / CEL