Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Spring Mountain vs. Bondurant

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Hecks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spring Mountain vs. Bondurant

I am trying to decide which school to attend and I would appreciate feedback from other ZR 1 owners who have attended the schools as part of the ZR 1 ownership package.

thanks,
Chris
Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

My .02; I have attended both; although the Bondurant visit was many years ago and my Spring Mountain experiences are much more recent. Both great schools; but Spring Mountain gets my vote as they, in my opinion; are much more customer friendly and do an outstanding job of making sure you have a great experience while there. Lot's of "little" customer oriented touches that make them better. And with Ron Fellows, Mr Corvette driver" as a partner (instructor) designing the curriculum how could you go wrong?
Bottom line; SM is in my recommendation hands down.......
Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Hecks
Instructor

Default thanks

thanks tome.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Spring Mountain.

Better track and you will spend more time in a ZR1. Spring mountain has bought their own ZR1s in addition to the 2 that GM gave them. You will drive these cars as hard as you can and by yourself without an instructor in the passenger seat.

Rick, Justin, Victor and the rest of the instructor crew are top notch and great people. They really go out of their way to make sure you are 100% satisfied with your visit.

Melinda and everyone else in the front office are excellent and will help with any arrangements or special needs you may have.

I was there last month for the second time and already want to go back!!! Hopefully, I will get the chance again soon.

cheers!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 PM
mountainzo6
Intermediate

Last fall after getting my ZR1, I was asking the same question you are. The Forum was very helpful, pointing me to Spring Mountain. I had an outstanding experience there in December. With the new ZR1 fleet, it ought to be even better now.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

My experience was first class when I went in January. As posts above state, Spring Mountain gets my vote. With that said, I haven't been to Bondurant.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:04 PM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never been to bondurant, but I'll be attending my 2nd session with the guys at springmountain and this time, I'm paying!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Hecks
Instructor

Default Spring Mountain it is.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your guidance. Spring Mountain it is.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 AM
socalspringmountain
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 418 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Hecks
Thanks everyone, I appreciate your guidance. Spring Mountain it is.
Thanks for choosing Spring Mountain! You're going to have a Blast! What dates are you going to be here?

As you probably know, we have (7) ZR1s including (2) 2010s! The Launch Control is AWESOME!

Have you thought about the optional 3rd day? I highly recommend it.

You may have seen this video, it's the track you will be running. Spend a little time watching the video before you come out, knowing the track is half the battle.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Ken

The Official Performance Driving School Of Corvette
www.racespringmountain.com
victor@racespringmountain.com
800-391-6891

Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 AM
socalspringmountain

Special thanks to all those who help promote Spring Mountain!

We truly appreciate the continued support of our family members
Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM
pinoyZR1
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
Special thanks to all those who help promote Spring Mountain!

We truly appreciate the continued support of our family members
I'll see you guys again in April 2
Old 03-20-2010, 11:41 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

You may have seen this video, it's the track you will be running. Spend a little time watching the video before you come out, knowing the track is half the battle.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Ken
If Baundrant has elevation changes on their track, I would go there instead of SM. Elevation changes bump up the fun factor!
Old 03-20-2010, 02:56 PM
socalspringmountain

Spring Mountain's road course has about 50ft of elevation change, including a replica of Mosport's turns 5a and 5b.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:13 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

So the video you posted has elevation changes? It looked like a flat track.

I'm not trying to pull anyone away from SM, just trying to give feedback on what I think is fun.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 PM
socalspringmountain

Video never really gives a true representation of the elevation change on a track. As a matter of fact, it's even hard to really appreciate the elevation changes when you are driving. That's why we take our students to the different areas of the track so they can view it closely. Most are amazed at how different the track looks when they are standing there.

Some of the changes are subtle and others more dramatic, but all of the elevation changes were designed to cause changes in traction that we think are important teach proper car handling.

Unless you've experienced it, it's difficult to tell by just viewing a video. You should come out and see what I mean

Ken
Old 03-20-2010, 05:49 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

I would love to give your track a try! It does look fun, no doubt about that

Hey, now I want to go! That was good salesmanship

I was comparing my experience with elevation changes to tracks like Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA and Thunderhill in CA. One would have to have his eyes closed to not notice elevation changes in video taken of those tracks.

Either way, its important to gain experience on many tracks (even ovals)!
Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
If Baundrant has elevation changes on their track, I would go there instead of SM. Elevation changes bump up the fun factor!
Bondurant is about as flat as a pancake...I've driven by it a few times going to California.

Not taking anything away from them...they have a nice facility and have been in "the biz" for a long time.

I think you'd be OK with either of them, but the Spring Mountain boys happen to have a few ZR1's at their place...Bondurant only has Z06's and Z51's (along with some CTS's & CTS-V's).

The one plus I liked originally about Bondurant was you could (at one time) bring your own car to class...learning in what YOU actually drive is a lot better than learning in a "fleet" car.

No substitute for upgrading the space between your ears before upgrading the car you drive. Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain vs. Bondurant

Old 03-20-2010, 07:18 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Spring Mountain's road course has about 50ft of elevation change, including a replica of Mosport's turns 5a and 5b.
My Favorite!!!!

cheers!
Old 03-20-2010, 07:21 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Bondurant is about as flat as a pancake...I've driven by it a few times going to California.

Not taking anything away from them...they have a nice facility and have been in "the biz" for a long time.

I think you'd be OK with either of them, but the Spring Mountain boys happen to have a few ZR1's at their place...Bondurant only has Z06's and Z51's (along with some CTS's & CTS-V's).

The one plus I liked originally about Bondurant was you could (at one time) bring your own car to class...learning in what YOU actually drive is a lot better than learning in a "fleet" car.

No substitute for upgrading the space between your ears before upgrading the car you drive. Have fun!
You are allowed to bring your own car to spring mountain as well....

cheers!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 AM
socalspringmountain

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
I was comparing my experience with elevation changes to tracks like Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA and Thunderhill in CA. One would have to have his eyes closed to not notice elevation changes in video taken of those tracks.

Either way, its important to gain experience on many tracks (even ovals)!
I haven't been to Pacific Raceways, but I have been to Thunderhill and those drastic hills are pretty obvious in video. But just watching a video won't give you a true appreciation for just how drastic they are. Something is just gets lost in the video.

I agree that the more tracks you can visit the better, each has it's own unique feel.

I think you would have a great time at Spring Mountain. Don't forget, Corvette Forum members get a 10% discount off our regular prices.
I'm just sayin

Take care,

Ken

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Spring Mountain vs. Bondurant