Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Splitters, Spoilers and Side skirts OH MY!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Due to this comment, some may be wondering why Katech continued to use this cut down center section design. The Katech spoiler is significantly higher than the stock ZR1 spoiler and provides a lot of rear downforce. Enough to achieve a near perfect 50/50 aero balance when used with the complete Katech package. Any more rear downforce it would be too much for a street-capable front splitter to balance out and a design with an extended front gurney would be required.

Additionally, wind tunnel testing showed that the side skirts increased rear down-force by pushing air up and over the rear fender to the deck lid and on to the spoiler. The area of the spoiler hit by this extra air is the sides, exactly where the spoiler is raised.
Jason is correct , if you put a GM ZR1 spoiler on top on the KaTech spoiler there's a dramatic size differance. As a a matter of fact since I have both spoilers I can say this the center height of the Katech is the same as the height of the MTI. So the differance in the tip height may affect the side air draft of the fender being that high and actual provide some additional stability since the lower height would not affect the air flow due to the way the air flows up and over the deck lip at the edges.

I the two systems are great and both work perfectly and it's a ascetic selection process at this time. Both systems can be ordered with trays and brake ducts.

And I can see that both of these vendors are professional enough to use some of each others parts. MTI used KaTech side skirts on their Special Edition 427 project.

ErnieO

Last edited by VRedZ06; 03-23-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there one out there thats not going to affect my 1/4 mile times (or very little) and will give me more stability over 100mph?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zo6BEAST
Is there one out there thats not going to affect my 1/4 mile times (or very little) and will give me more stability over 100mph?
At 100 mph you will have more stability. The drag effect on the 1/4 mile times will be negligible. Stability and confidence at speed is worth more than feeling squirrely.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spoiled996
Ordered my splitter and side panels from Jason @ Katech 2 weeks back!!!
How do you like it. Notice any or alot of Drag?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Jason- Can the Katech rear spoiler be painted to match my car?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Jason- Can the Katech rear spoiler be painted to match my car?
Yes!

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Yes!
Whats the main difference between the aero kit you sell and the ZR1 one that RPI sells? Is there a difference between your splitter and skirts and RPI's?

My car is a street/Drag car first, so whats the deal with your kit? Do you think it will have and effect(minor/major) on my 1/4mile times? If you could explain this to me that would help me make my decision.

Thank you
Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Katech_Zach

Whats the main difference between the aero kit you sell and the ZR1 one that RPI sells? Is there a difference between your splitter and skirts and RPI's?

My car is a street/Drag car first, so whats the deal with your kit? Do you think it will have and effect(minor/major) on my 1/4mile times? If you could explain this to me that would help me make my decision.

Thank you
Our splitter has a flange built into the bottom for our optional undertray and brake cooler duct kit. I can't speak for RPI, but our parts have been wind tunnel tested and data is provided.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
Because they are the best you can buy and they work as or better than advertised!

Jim
Oh I know that. You should see what I threw at the 402 they built me for my old C5. I'm still surprised that motor held together.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Thank you
KaTech and MTI are full up racing companies. They race they are owned by Racers and they test everything and use everything they sell!!! And they are Made in America.

You car will be stable and will perform aerodynamically correctly. The rest is up to you!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Jason- Thanks for taking the time out of your day to answer my questions. I think im going to do what we talked about, going with the set up with lest drag in fiberglass.

When do you expect an approx. ETA of your rear spoiler being made in fiberglass?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Radguy
Racer

Jason- Thanks for taking the time out of your day to answer my questions. I think im going to do what we talked about, going with the set up with lest drag in fiberglass.

When do you expect an approx. ETA of your rear spoiler being made in fiberglass?

Thanks
As well as the ETA of the undertray/brake duct setup in fiberglass if you wouldn't mind.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Katech_Zach

Thanks
Right now the rear spoiler is not available in fiberglass and I don't know IF it will be.

Originally Posted by Radguy
As well as the ETA of the undertray/brake duct setup in fiberglass if you wouldn't mind.
Right now that's hard to say. Fiberglass undertrays and brake ducts will be started once they get caught up on our carbon parts. Regarding that, I just can't win. My last shipment was destroyed by FedEx and we just can't make any headway.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

my CF splitter was destroyed by UPS Friday from Katech, and the side splitters I ordered were on the shipment Jason said got destroyed inbound to them. We just can't win. No CF for me for my next 2 car shows. Damn!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Splitters, Spoilers and Side skirts OH MY!!!