Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Splitters, Spoilers and Side skirts OH MY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splitters, Spoilers and Side skirts OH MY!!!

Looking to upgrade my Aerodynamics for my C6Z at high speeds. I want something thats designed for performance 1st, looks 2nd.

Whats your guys take on MTI, Katech, RPI, APR kits?

Whats the difference between the quality/design of them, Reducing in Drag, increased downforce by each kit???

Thanks

Last edited by Zo6BEAST; 03-21-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Jason at katech posted some tests with their aero parts. One thing is for certain, you are not looking at reducing downforce. They will or should increase your overall downforce. One a road course, that is what you want as this will keep the car flatter but on a top speed run, you will be required to produce more power to turn the same mph BEFORE the aero parts were installed.

Stability... lower the car, maybe some compression/rebound adjustments and better tires. Are you running a DR? I think you are... they sway a tad more than a street tire since they are built to have a softer sidewall for grip.

How's the car bro?! I need to see in person mang!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:39 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the GM stuff........I imagine that the ZR1 was designed for the utmost performance, while retaining GM quality controls? If you are looking for custom colors and such then there are many options out there.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

What do you mean by??
Originally Posted by obzidian
Jason at katech posted some tests with their aero parts. One thing is for certain, you are not looking at reducing downforce. They will or should increase your overall downforce. One a road course, that is what you want as this will keep the car flatter but on a top speed run, you will be required to produce more power to turn the same mph BEFORE the aero parts were installed.

Stability... lower the car, maybe some compression/rebound adjustments and better tires. Are you running a DR? I think you are... they sway a tad more than a street tire since they are built to have a softer sidewall for grip.

How's the car bro?! I need to see in person mang!
Car was humming and running like a champ, but i think the SC is a defecetive unit. I sent it back to Paxton, should hopefully find out soon what went wrong. Spun Bearing??

My mechanic and i noticed it started to making a loud whinning noise that it never did before, he took it off and pieces of metal fell out.

Im putting some Koni's on her that should lower her about 1''. Also doing some motor and tranny mounts to help transfer the power better for traction and prevent wheel hop. I have MT ET Streets out back.

But i was looking to help the car cut there the air more effeciently, helping the Aerodynamics, Reducing Drag, and increasing downforce.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Angel,

When i get her back i plan on taking her to PBIR, we should meet up and shoot it

Ill let you know
Old 03-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DSOM Z06
What about the GM stuff........I imagine that the ZR1 was designed for the utmost performance, while retaining GM quality controls? If you are looking for custom colors and such then there are many options out there.
I like the ZR1 kit, but im not crazy about the spoiler! Doesnt really look like it will help increase the down force like a MTI or Katch spoiler.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

I talked to a guy that just had the ZR1 spoiler done to his Z and he said that he notices a difference at over 100mph with it.

So thats pretty good feedback.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Zo6BEAST
Looking to upgrade my Aerodynamics for my C6Z at high speeds. I want something thats designed for performance 1st, looks 2nd.

Whats your guys take on MTI, Katech, RPI, APR kits?

Whats the difference between the quality/design of them, Reducing in Drag, increased downforce by each kit???

Thanks
Most of those questions can be answered in the wind tunnel report here:
http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf

All body products can be seen here:
http://store.katechengines.com/body-parts-c28.aspx

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Zo6BEAST
Burning Brakes

Whats the scoop on the Ron Fellows spoiler?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by captain454
There are three things you want.

1) The whole Katech Package. Esp their front end splitter with the brake reducting.
I was just on their site and they are still back ordered for the parts. FAIL

I have been waiting quite a while to get them ordered but Katech never seems to have a front splitter and side skirts in stock at the same time.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Drewstein
I was just on their site and they are still back ordered for the parts. FAIL

I have been waiting quite a while to get them ordered but Katech never seems to have a front splitter and side skirts in stock at the same time.
The best thing to do is place a backorder and we will ship in the order received. These parts get sold out every shipment we get in.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

The best thing to do is place a backorder and we will ship in the order received. These parts get sold out every shipment we get in.
Because they are the best you can buy and they work as or better than advertised!

Jim
Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Currently there are 3 companies that have extensive wind tunnel information on their aero systems. KaTech, MTI andAdvanced Composite Products, Inc. (ACP).

I have used MTI's complete package for 1 1/2 years and it's a great package. I have now switched to KaTechs' complete package and that is as good as the MTI package, I recently added their Skirts over the winter and will report on those once I get on the track next month. I have looked at and had many discussion with Kerry Hitt , (the owner and founder of ACP), and his package is really complete and also include a rear diffuser. (World Challenge Package.)

Neither KaTeck or MTI currently have a Diffuser available but there's a great diffuser available, from BPP, (Breathless Performance Parts in Ft Lauderdale FL. They also have test data available.

I switched from MTI to KaTech for 2 reasons first the ascetics and the CF parts were just very appealing to the eye. Second I wanted to see if they had any advantage over the MTI package. The MTI package I had was the fiberglass package since their CF at the time I was purchasing was way expensive and there is no performance difference between the CF or Fiberglass parts.

So the bottom line is either MTI or KaTech will perform GREAT and add stability and down-force to the car. It's now up to you to decide which package is more appealing to you. I can say that both companies are very good and that Jason, (from KaTech), will take the extra mile to make sure you get what you want as will Steven from MTI. I love the complete look of the KaTech CF package and so does everyone that see's the car on the track. And don't forget 2 other parts you will need, a Great Hood, which is really needed to release the hot air in the engine bay and a rear diffuser that at this time is only available from BPP. (If you need more info on the BPP part please PM me there's a lot to know about the system that is not apparent and you really need to talk to me before you go out and buy it.)

Hoods that's a whole new topic and is deserving of it's own Thread which there are many out there . However there is a brand NEW hood coming out from Corvette Creations and it's the best hood I have ever seen, and I have already pre-ordered a CF one from them. Here's the link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1573502725

ErnieO

Last edited by VRedZ06; 03-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 AM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by captain454
There are three things you want.

1) The whole Katech Package. Esp their front end splitter with the brake reducting.

2) APR rear wing. Mount it high, stick on the gurney flap, and crank it to 12 degrees AOA.

3) Louvered (ACP) hood.

Kick ***. But don't forget to tighten up the spring rate on your suspension... which means new shocks to match the new spring rates. And while you're in there, might as well thrown on some Pfadt bars and spherical bushings, oh yeah don't forget the Brembo's all around too... Hoosiers... ah hell here I go again!

Capt. has the BUG!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 PM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The MTI Racing Aerodynamic products are shaped by the wind tunnel. This means that they work. 100% FULL FUNCTION. They also happen to look great, with proper smooth contoured transition to the body lines of the car.

What sets our products apart is the engineering behind it, and the scientific reasons why they are shaped the way they are. For example, in Formula racing there is an abundance of "wings" available, but the design of the airfoil is the most important. Some teams choose the affordable one, instead of the more efficient design simply due to cost.

Imagine an aircraft wing designer saying, "here is how the wing should be shaped for best performance." And the production folks say, "No, we want it to look like this, because of cosmetic and production concerns."

Our MTI Racing Rear Spoiler for Z06/ZR1 retains its full height from end to end. Although GM did some aero testing on the ZR1, we cringed when they released the rear spoiler with the center section cutdown in height. THAT'S WHERE THE DOWNFORCE IS! We can only assume that focus marketing groups were not able to see out the rear window with a real spoiler on the car, so throw out the test data.

Although the benefits of the MTI Racing Rear Spoiler can be felt as low as 80mph. Stability increases dramatically with velocity. The faster you drive, the more stable it is. The car is very stable at 200mph.

Our MTI Racing front spoiler and splitter was also shaped at the wind tunnel. We use a unique double-step feature that gives it tremendous strength in the vertical plane. We have tested it at 200mph and the front fascia doesn't flex with our product, thus negating the need for additional reinforcements. Our front splitter and spoilers also close off the factory slits in the front. Tunnel testing showed that the factory front spoiler did zero cooling for the brakes. So we offer brake ducting from below.
The best balance is achieved with the Full Splitter and Rear Spoiler.

Overall, our designs have been proven to work. Please check our wind tunnel video and descriptions here..

In stock right now I have :
2 rear spoilers
2 front chins
2 front full bottom splitters

(Click the MTI-TV Picture below to watch Video)

Click HERE for Additional Information on Aero Page
http://www.mtiracing.com/rokfeature/...-upgrades.html

http://www.mtiracing.com/purchase/2009-2010-zr1.html

It looks perfect on the ZR1...

Last edited by MTI RACING; 03-23-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by MTI RACING
Although GM did some aero testing on the ZR1, we cringed when they released the rear spoiler with the center section cutdown in height. THAT'S WHERE THE DOWNFORCE IS! We can only assume that focus marketing groups were not able to see out the rear window with a real spoiler on the car, so throw out the test data.
Due to this comment, some may be wondering why Katech continued to use this cut down center section design. The Katech spoiler is significantly higher than the stock ZR1 spoiler and provides a lot of rear downforce. Enough to achieve a near perfect 50/50 aero balance when used with the complete Katech package. Any more rear downforce it would be too much for a street-capable front splitter to balance out and a design with an extended front gurney would be required.

Additionally, wind tunnel testing showed that the side skirts increased rear downforce by pushing air up and over the rear fender to the decklid and on to the spoiler. The area of the spoiler hit by this extra air is the sides, exactly where the spoiler is raised.

Get notified of new replies

To Splitters, Spoilers and Side skirts OH MY!!!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a picture of a 427 Limited Edition that we put a TVS Supercharger on.

Forgeline Wheels
Extractor Hood
MTI Racing Front Chin Spoiler
Katech Side Skirts
MTI Racing Rear Spoiler

http://www.mtiracing.com/purchase/20...nd-c6-z06.html

The functional side skirts compliment the package nicely, adding more aero and look great.
http://www.mtiracing.com/purchase/20...-c6-z06-2.html

Last edited by MTI RACING; 03-23-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by zo6beast
angel,

when i get her back i plan on taking her to pbir, we should meet up and shoot it

Ill let you know
coolio!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Ordered my splitter and side panels from Jason @ Katech 2 weeks back!!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Splitters, Spoilers and Side skirts OH MY!!!