Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM document for normal oil consumption ridiculous

Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

If you want to win this disagreement, you need to keep a written log of each time you change the oil, each time you check it, and each time you add oil. Make sure you enter the date and the mileage. A small memo pad kept in the console works well. Make sure you are using the recommended Mobil 1 oil as well as the AC/Delco filters.

It helps to show continous progression (show it getting worse, from .5 qts per 2000 miles, to 1 qt per 2000 miles, to 1 qt per 1000 miles, and finally 1 qt per 500 miles).
Make sure you keep all your receipts. Stop cleaning the exhaust tips, you want them to look dirty. Inspect your wheelwells for any burned rubber and throughly clean them. Make sure your car is completely stock.

This will take quite some time to show the progression, so keep an eye on when your warranty runs out in both miles and time.
Good luck!

Last edited by Vito.A; 03-27-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
This sounds like the oil consumption mess C5 Z06 owners were going through back in 2001/2002 with the LS6 where some had to be "re-ringed".

Good luck

Tom
My 01 LS6 had to be reringed at 11k miles for excessive oil consumption of qt per 1000 miles. Local dealer did the oil consumption test to satisfy GM. I considered the rering to be a success as the oil consumption improved to about qt per 4 to 5k and stayed steady until I sold the car at 49k miles.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:26 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had started keeping a log of oil added and mileage for about 5 K miles. Then the dealer that told me to do this became a hyundai dealer when GM started closing dealerships. When I went to a new dealer, my log book was deemed useless and I have been going to them every 1000 miles for them to add oil and document.

That is why this latest statement of 1 quart per 500 as the acceptable oil usage is so disappointing.

I have owned 5 corvettes starting with a C4 and none have burned oil. I had hoped to purchase this car as a long term keeper from my lease, but I will probably give it up and decide whether to get another one or go with a different car.

I am disappointed as hell with GM. I love the vette but don't feel they value the group of us that are devoted vette owners.

Appreciate the feedback to know that my oil consumption is not the norm.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by drbenne
I have 2008 C6Z06. Commuter with 21K miles. (Have the C5 T1 car to kick around) I noticed it was consuming 1 qt per 1000 miles which is much more than any corvette, or for that matter, any other car I have owned.

So started an "oil consumption" process with my local dealer. Well after doing this for the last 5K or so miles and it consuming 6+ quarts, I was told yesterday that:

According to GM document #2222953, normal oil consumption for high performance engine LS7 is 1 qt per 500 miles and that GM DVM Ray Moffat advised that this is normal oil use.

Very disappointing to say the least.

Anyone else experiencing this type of oil consumption and does this sound reasonable?
Tell that Ray Moffat and that GM dealer to "GO F*** OFF" and learn to read! 1qt/500 miles is not NORMAL use. It says it could be that if driven aggressively. Which I'm betting you don't, but can't prove it. Tell them to define "aggressively" better. How often above 3K rpm?!

Here's gm doc 2222953, word for word:

Document ID: 2222953
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#01-06-01-011F: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines - (Jan 13, 2009)

Subject: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Models: 2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline-Powered Light Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn)

2009 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the warranty information on vehicles and add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011E (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

Oil Consumption
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

Important: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

Important: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

Many factors can affect a customer's concern with oil consumption. Driving habits and vehicle maintenance vary from owner to owner. Thoroughly evaluate each case before deciding whether the vehicle in question has abnormal engine oil consumption.

Gasket and External Leaks
Inspect the oil pan and engine covers for leakage due to over-tightened, damaged, or out of place gaskets. Inspect oil lines and fittings for signs of leakage.

Improper Reading of the Oil Level Indicator (Dipstick)
Verify that the dipstick tube is fully seated in the block. When checking the oil level, make sure the dipstick is wiped clean before taking an oil level reading and fully depress the dipstick until the shoulder bottoms out on the dipstick tube. The dipstick should be the proper part number for the engine/vehicle that is being checked.

Notice: Operating your vehicle with an oil level that is below the minimum level indicated on the engine oil dipstick can result in severe engine damage. Repairs resulting from operating an engine with insufficient oil are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Important: Refer to Owner Manual in SI for checking and adding engine oil.

Not Waiting Long Enough After Running Engine to Check Oil Level
Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase. To assure a sufficient amount of oil has drained back to the crankcase, and an accurate reading can be obtained, the vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading. In order to ensure accurate results, the temperature of the oil should be close to the same temperature as the last time the oil level was checked.

Important: This does not apply to 2006-2009 Corvette Z06 equipped with the 7.0L LS7 and the 2009 Corvette ZR-1 with the 6.2L LS9 engines (dry sump). Follow the instructions in the Owner Manual for checking the oil in this application.

Improper Oil Fill After an Oil Change
Following an oil change, verify that the proper amount and type of oil was put in the engine and that the oil level on the dipstick is not above the full mark or below the add marks. Refer to the Owner Manual or Service Manual for information on recommended oil quantity, viscosity, and quality.

Aggressive Driving, High Speed or High RPM Driving
Aggressive driving and/or continuous driving at high speeds/high RPMs will increase oil consumption. Because this may not always be an everyday occurrence, it is hard to determine exactly how much the oil economy will be affected.

A higher rate of oil consumption is normal for vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that are driven aggressively. By "aggressive," we mean operation at high RPM (3,000 RPM to redline), with frequent use of engine braking (using the engine to slow the vehicle). Vehicles that are driven aggressively may consume engine oil at a rate of up to 0.946 L (1 quart) every 805 km (500 mi). This is normal for a vehicle that is driven aggressively. No repair is necessary. This characteristic does, however, require the owner to check the engine oil level at sufficiently frequent intervals, especially when driving aggressively, to assure the oil level remains within the recommended operating range. As the Owner’s Manual recommends, you should check the oil level every time you get fuel.

Towing or Heavy Usage
Towing a trailer will increase oil consumption and may cause oil consumption to fall below the normal accepted rate referenced in this bulletin for an unloaded vehicle in a personal use application. Large frontal area trailers will further increase the work required from the engine, especially at highway speeds, and thus increases the rate of oil consumption.

Crankcase Ventilation System
Verify that the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is operating properly. Blockages, restrictions, or damage to the PCV system can result in increased oil use.

Oil Dilution (Fuel and Water)
On vehicles that are usually driven short distances, less than 8 km (5 mi), especially in colder weather, unburned fuel and condensation generated from cold engine operation may not get hot enough to evaporate out of the oil. When this occurs, the dipstick may indicate that the oil level is over-full. Subsequent driving on a trip of sufficient length to enable normal engine operating temperature for 30 minutes or more, in order to vaporize excess moisture and fuel, may give the customer the impression of excessive oil consumption.

Engine Temperature
If an engine is run at overheated temperatures (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual) for more than brief periods, oil will oxidize at a faster than normal rate. In addition, gaskets may distort, piston rings may stick, and excessive wear may result. Verify that all cooling system components are in proper working order.

Engine Wear
Piston scuffing, excessive piston-to-wall clearance, tapered or out of round cylinders, worn, damaged or improperly installed valve guides, seals and piston rings will all cause an increase in oil consumption.

Measurement of Oil Consumption
Engines require a period of time to BREAK IN so that moving parts are properly seated. Therefore, oil economy should not be tested until the vehicle has accumulated at least 6400 km (4000 mi). An exception would be allowed only if an engine is reported to be using more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 1600 km (1000 mi).

•Verify that the engine has no external leaks. Repair as necessary.
•Verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature (see Owner's Manual or Service Manual).
•Park the vehicle on a level surface.
•Wait at least 15 minutes, after the engine is shut off, before checking the oil level to make sure that the oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase.
•Verify that the oil level is at, but not above, the full mark on the dipstick, and that the proper viscosity and quality oil are being used as recommended in the Owner's Manual.
•Record the vehicle mileage, date, and exact oil level on the form included in this bulletin.
•Ask the customer to verify the oil level, each time the vehicle is fueled, following steps 1-6 and return the vehicle to the dealership if the oil level is found at or below the add mark, 0.946 liter (1 qt) low. If the oil level remains above the add mark, the customer should continue to operate the vehicle and verify the engine oil level until 3200 km (2000 mi) has accumulated before returning to the dealership for a final evaluation.
•If the final evaluation shows that the engine uses more than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), follow the published symptom diagnostics as described in the appropriate Service Manual. If the oil consumption test shows that the engine uses less than 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi), explain to the customer that their engine meets the guidelines for oil consumption.

Last edited by vette4jr; 03-28-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Here's gm doc 2222953, word for word:

Perfect find vette4jr!!!...

The OP needs to print this document and bring it to the GM rep to begin a resolution to his problem.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

The OP doesn't need to bring it to GM. GM already has it. The dealer is the one causing the issue.

Bill
Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm with the majority here. It sounds excessive, even for a high performance engine. I've never had to add any oil to the LS2 with ~40k miles on it.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by drbenne
I have 2008 C6Z06. Commuter with 21K miles. (Have the C5 T1 car to kick around) I noticed it was consuming 1 qt per 1000 miles which is much more than any corvette, or for that matter, any other car I have owned.

So started an "oil consumption" process with my local dealer. Well after doing this for the last 5K or so miles and it consuming 6+ quarts, I was told yesterday that:

According to GM document #2222953, normal oil consumption for high performance engine LS7 is 1 qt per 500 miles and that GM DVM Ray Moffat advised that this is normal oil use.

Very disappointing to say the least.

Anyone else experiencing this type of oil consumption and does this sound reasonable?
Hello,

I do apologize for your experience. I am going to send you a private message for more information.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old 03-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Jeepo
Instructor

I,ve got 95000 miles on my 06 Z and it uses no more than a half quart
between oil changes. Oil changes at 3200 miles.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hello,

I do apologize for your experience. I am going to send you a private message for more information.

Geoff Allen
Wow!

That is impressive. First time I have seen an official GM reply on this forum......... maybe just me.........

If this is the start of the new GM I am all for it.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Hello,

Geoff Allen
I have been around for 6 years here and have never seen a direct intervention by GM. Hopefully this is a good thing and will go a long way to improve what many on this forum believe is GM's policy of not treating us Vette guys fairly

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 03-29-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my second ls7, the first one didnt burn any oil and neither is the second one.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

My stock '08 LS7 will burn a little oil between changes, about 3/4 qt every 3000 miles. My LS2 doesn't burn a drop.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hello,

Geoff Allen
glad to see GM getting involved with the corvetteforum community! -Dan
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
I'm on my second ls7, the first one didnt burn any oil and neither is the second one.
Only when it blew up, right?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Hello,

Geoff Allen
There is always hope. Hope this is more than just lip service and GM run around!

I will say this though, maybe this is more of a dealer avoiding doing a repair than GM not coming forward. I believe I saw a thread indicating GM was turning over more of the warranty claim responsibility to dealers.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:19 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chalky
There is always hope. Hope this is more than just lip service and GM run around!

I will say this though, maybe this is more of a dealer avoiding doing a repair than GM not coming forward. .........
Some dealers will say anything to avoid performing warranty work. Their goal is to minimize warranty work and maximize retail work. Fortunately my local dealer has been very proactive toward suggesting and performing warranty work particularly with my 01Z06 that had literally annual shop visits for factory defect repairs.

Get notified of new replies

To GM document for normal oil consumption ridiculous

Old 03-30-2010, 07:23 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Hello,

Geoff Allen
Hats off to Geoff again for another GM intervention!!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

Hello,

Geoff Allen
Geoff,

Inquiring minds want to know... Is this "service" a new initiative that GM's starting or just you wanting to personally help needy soles?

BTW ... either one is commendable..
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 AM
66L72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Some dealers will say anything to avoid performing warranty work. Their goal is to minimize warranty work and maximize retail work. Fortunately my local dealer has been very proactive toward suggesting and performing warranty work particularly with my 01Z06 that had literally annual shop visits for factory defect repairs.
Dealers are measured and rated on the amount of warranty work they perform........at the platform level I believe........ meaning if a dealer doesnt sell many vettes for instance, but performs a lot of warranty work he loses points in his overall rating from general motors on his dealership.

It is a serious consideration for them. It is also something GM should reconsider as it moves forward as it does nothing to improve the customer experience........ and that is what it should be all about!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] GM document for normal oil consumption ridiculous