Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Debating on z06! M3 to z06?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

As others have said, if you need the feel of the road, the Corvette is the wrong choice.

Why do you need this feel of the road? I've never experienced it as my only track cars have been the C5 and C6. Ignorance is bliss so I guess thats why I don't care too much about road feel. You can still drive like a maniac and have instant adrenaline rushes in the C6 Z06 by pressing on the GO pedal, its called instant gratification. You can also drive on the edge without much road feel, the Corvette racing team has proven that
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 AM
sammyrusso
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geared
where are you located?
West Hollywood, ca
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before your write off the Z06 in the "feel" department, ask the guys who have changed out the leafs for a set of coil overs and better tires. Yes if you compare an OEM car to an OEM car, the Z may not have the "feel" of a Porsche, but after a set of coil-overs and a REAL set of tires, it changes the car 1000%.

After changing my suspension out to coil-overs and non-run flat tires, I have had many euro car guys tell me it was one of the best handling cars they have ever sat in.

It is a shame as while the Z06 is increadible out of the box (as tested by all the mags over the years), if they had ever tested a Z with coil-overs and better tires, the already great test results would have been through the roof and all that negative comments about "feedback" would not exist.

There is no getting around a car that weights 3100lbs with 505hp. You just need to tweek (or personalize) the suspension to what you are looking for. Many of us have scratched our heads as to why GM continues to put Goodyear crap on these cars, but when you buy a $65k car that runs with $165k, please expect some areas that you will need to personalize.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:47 AM
AlsZ06
Instructor

Your M3 looks like you put a lot of time and money into it. I'd keep it!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 PM
sammyrusso
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Before your write off the Z06 in the "feel" department, ask the guys who have changed out the leafs for a set of coil overs and better tires. Yes if you compare an OEM car to an OEM car, the Z may not have the "feel" of a Porsche, but after a set of coil-overs and a REAL set of tires, it changes the car 1000%.

After changing my suspension out to coil-overs and non-run flat tires, I have had many euro car guys tell me it was one of the best handling cars they have ever sat in.

It is a shame as while the Z06 is increadible out of the box (as tested by all the mags over the years), if they had ever tested a Z with coil-overs and better tires, the already great test results would have been through the roof and all that negative comments about "feedback" would not exist.

There is no getting around a car that weights 3100lbs with 505hp. You just need to tweek (or personalize) the suspension to what you are looking for. Many of us have scratched our heads as to why GM continues to put Goodyear crap on these cars, but when you buy a $65k car that runs with $165k, please expect some areas that you will need to personalize.
Good points....but isn't it the steering column that gives the hands to steering wheel to front wheel connection?

I just need to find one with coil overs to test drive!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
sammyrusso
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AlsZ06
Your M3 looks like you put a lot of time and money into it. I'd keep it!!!
Thanks!

I alway change cars....and the Z is just a car I've always admired and seemed so fun. Light and with a beast of an engine. I like NA
Old 04-13-2010, 01:29 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by sammyrusso
Don't care about space...I'm only interested in feel and enjoyment.

Sounds like you might like a Suzie blow up doll. It would save you a couple bucks..........
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 PM
King Tut
Advanced

So my question is how is the Z in this area? Anyone gone from an m3 to a Z?
Seen you on M3 post. I traded my E92 M3 in on a Z06 in January. Based on what you posted in your initial post, I would recommend keeping the M3 or go for the Porsche. I only got the Z06 because I wanted to try an American V8 in a lightweight chassis. If you don't need the power and don't want to deal with traction issues then go for the Porsche. The biggest difference is I struggle all the time to even get the stock power levels to the ground where in my modified E92 M3 with 295 rear tires I could still always get the power to the ground and enjoy the car. I am holding out hope that some new wheels and 345 tires possibly drag radials will fix that issue for me.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

"Fix up the only latest items on M3 coupe"?

All your base are belong to us?

Nice M3. I like.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

To the OP... Bad *** e92 M3!!!!
I came to my C6 Z06 from a e46 M3 Coupe 6-speed. The word "feel" is exactly what I miss from the M3 compared to the Corvette. The Z feels numb in comparison. BUT... no question the Z06 is in another league all together. Higher limts in every way!! In fact I bet a stock Z can take your blown M3 in a drag. These cars are absolutely amazing!!! I had a 550rwhp blown 347ci Mustang and the Z not to long ago.... The Z (which is stock) runs faster ETs on DR then the Mustang. These cars are sick to start with!!!
Goodluck!

Last edited by C5 Frank; 04-13-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 PM
ttgangsta
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geared
if handling, feel, and being "nimble" is your top priority...put yourself in a porsche. I drive an 08 z06 and love it, and frequently drive pops 997tt....while I like the torque of the z06, and while it may hang with a porsche (give up in turns, gain on straights)....it really doesnt compare to the porsches grip and feel for the road.
get coilovers and then get back to us on nimble

To the OP:

Know this, feel or not, a Z06 will toast more cars in the real world than you would ever believe. Throw coil-overs on psssh game over. I love European cars more than most, but the fact of the matter is the Z performance-wise is/was a BEAST.

Think of this car almost in a modular way. You get this insane chassis that is lighter than any non-track variant euro car like a GT3 or Scuderia. You get insane top end, with so much torque it will blow your MIND that you have an NA engine. Now that's just the start. Then you buy some amazing set of coil-overs that meet your exact needs whether its hardcore-race oriented hand built LG/Bilsteins or maybe you are more street oriented and you get Pfadts. Either way your car will be so significantly better you will never like a stock suspension again, or a car that weighs over 3200 lbs.

Then you send your engine to a place like Katech, try getting that level of quality, at those HP #s for that price, ON ANY car with that kind of power, and they will laugh in your face.

The Z is a great starting point, but when you see the potential, it is hard to imagine anything better.

No it's not a Porsche or Lotus feel wise. If you want feel, go to Modena.

Last edited by ttgangsta; 04-13-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

regarding your dyno, where's the torque?

with the Z06 the torque will wake you up. its big hood decieves you into thinking its a heavy car, but its light, very tossable. quick response and all around great handling car. just take it easy with the throttle!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Hopefully I can shed a little light for you. I've owned 3 M3's since 1995 and the Z06 is in an entirely different class performance-wise. Whereas the M3's have gotten heavier over the years and a lot more refined, the Z06 is a high performance car: light weight very raw and very, very powerful. Wheres the newer generation M3's, starting with the E46 isolate the driver more and more, the Z constantly reminds you that you are in a light weight car with very little sound deadening. They really are 2 different cars, targeting 2 different markets. I like them both, but I much prefer the Z.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
mpw32
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95jersey

out of the box the Z is great, but tweaking it makes it perform on another level. I have coil-overs sway-bars and tires and its a huge difference
Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 PM
sammyrusso
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by King Tut
Seen you on M3 post. I traded my E92 M3 in on a Z06 in January. Based on what you posted in your initial post, I would recommend keeping the M3 or go for the Porsche. I only got the Z06 because I wanted to try an American V8 in a lightweight chassis. If you don't need the power and don't want to deal with traction issues then go for the Porsche. The biggest difference is I struggle all the time to even get the stock power levels to the ground where in my modified E92 M3 with 295 rear tires I could still always get the power to the ground and enjoy the car. I am holding out hope that some new wheels and 345 tires possibly drag radials will fix that issue for me.
yes, i remember...i pm'd w/ you briefly..thanks for the words

guys i really appreciate all the input...and i know the Z pretty much smokes anything on the road on straights and twistes...i am an intermediate driver...done several track days...and i actually fear the Z, lots of power and light...i get scared when a car doesnt let me know what its doing...and i hear the Z is a tough car to drive fast...as to thats why i ask about the "feel and feedback" cause cars that do tell you whats going on seem to be a lil easier to drive at 10/10ths.

thanks again
Old 04-13-2010, 05:44 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
I have to agree with lss1power, the shocks blow, the runflats blow, although the steering isnt that bad. You can fix the suspension and tire problem relatively cheap and enjoy the car more. Try taking out weight out of a heavy car and adding power, this is much more expensive.

Pretty much any HP tire other than the OEM's and Bilsteens' and you have a different animal
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 PM
sammyrusso
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
"Fix up the only latest items on M3 coupe"?

All your base are belong to us?

Nice M3. I like.
All you base are belong to us???? I don't get understand.

Thanks for the compliments

Get notified of new replies

To Debating on z06! M3 to z06?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
jrubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default no return after zo6

Always loved the the Z. Last few cars were e46 m3,rs4, c2s cab, now a e92 m3 w/ 600hp supercharged, brembo, kw v3, wheels, exhaust..Ect. I want something lighter. Debating on the z06, c2s, cayman s, lotus exige s. Although the lotus is a bitch as an everyday driver only cause its so small to get in and out of u have to crawl in. Typically I'm all about handling and being nimble not a huge power guy although amazingly fun, ideally I love the feedback of a lotus and Porsche. I love a car that tells u what's going on FEEDBACK!

So my question is how is the Z in this area? Anyone gone from an m3 to a Z?

And I know a test drive is the only real way to know...did a brief one a year ago..but was new and dealer wouldn't let me go past 3-4k rpm. I will do another soon.

Thanks for your words of wisdom
I have had many M3s and loved them all,however I went from a 2005 M3 to a 2006 Z06 to a 2006 porsche C2S and back to a 2007 Z06. I love the handling of the M3 and C2S but after the feeling of power and handling of the Z06, I can never go back to any other car. I went to the exotic car dealer(ferrari,lamborghini, porsche, maserati,etc.) that sold me the porsche and he told me did not have any car that I would be happy with after experiencing the power and torque of the Z06. I believe if you ever own one you will never have anything else. And dont forget that unlike the poor gas mileage of your M3, the Z06 gets 28 to 30 MPG HWY which makes it a great daily driver. I sound like I own a chevrolet dealership. Ha Ha. However that being said, I love all sports cars(and fortunately can keep two at a time) and get a different one about every 8 months but I will never sell the Z06. If you decide to sell your M3 send me a PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't care about space...I'm only interested in feel and enjoyment.
then its a no brainer, if you want better performance, then you go with the better performing vehicle... *****:
Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

All you base are belong to us???? I don't get understand.

Thanks for the compliments
Joking about losing something in the translation. All your base are belong to us is a line from a video game introduction popularized on the internet for it's poor translation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg

Quick Reply: [Z06] Debating on z06! M3 to z06?