Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch Fluid Bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 PM
jmzo6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Clutch Fluid Bulletin

Dealer/tech told me the Z06s need a clutch fluid entire system flush every 2 years. The reservoir flush technique we've seen on our forum is not adequate enough, I have done it multiple times and it was clean in the reservoir. If any of you saw my thread about Comp driving mode and prob with 5th gear shift, this was the cause according to the tech at the dealer. Also, this flush is covered under warranty and it is advised to not even remove the cap after the flush until the next full flush is done next time. They use a super Dot 4 fluid that is longer lasting and very sensitive to moisture. Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is the first I've heard that it is covered under warranty.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I figured you'd get some kinda BS like that from the dealer!!!

It's true that your brake system and hydraulic clutch system should be flushed at least every 2 years. Brake/clutch fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture, which lowers the boiling point (hence the dry/wet boiling point specs for hydralulic fluid). That's why you need to flush at least every 2 years.

However, it is WELL ESTABLISHED that the Ranger method keeps your clutch fluid clean. If you go 2 years without doing the Ranger clutch fluid cleaning method (or otherwise flushing the clutch), you'll have black fluid filled with clutch dust (or whatever it is that gets into the fluid).

Good idea to keep the cap on the clutch and brake fluid reservoirs (and your bottles of fluid as well) - the idea being that moist air can quickly transfer its humidity into the hydraulic fluid, but I'm not that **** about it because I'm not convinced that there's an immediate transfer of atmospheric moisture from the air to the fluid. Also, the systems are not hermetically sealed. As the brake pads wear thinner, the pistons extend out further, and the fluid level goes down in the m/c. There is air in the top of the m/c, and there's a vent to allow additional air in as the fluid level drops.

I do the Ranger fluid swap before every track event, and in the winter I do it at least about every 6 weeks when just driving on the street. Like Ranger, I use Prestone DOT 4 in the clutch. The factory fluid in the brake system is a DOT 3 spec, but I use Motul RBF 600 DOT 4 in the brakes for a higher boiling point for the track. The Tech is correct that, in general, the higher the DOT rating the more easily the fluid will absord moisture.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...he-clutch.html

That's not something I'm going to do to my car 8 or 10 times a year. You can see in that thread that to get access to the clutch bleed valve you need to remove the exhaust and the tunnel plate to get to the valve. That's sure as hell not something I'm gonna let my local dealer do even every 2 years!!!

If you do remove the exhaust and tunnel plate to get to the valve, make sure you install a remote bleed valve so you can bleed the system without doing major wrenching to do a 5 minute clutch system flush.

OR.....just use the Ranger method - IT WORKS!!!!!

If you've been using the Ranger method regularly, then the dealer Tech's claim that your clutch fluid is the problem is BS!

Other than just not hitting the "shift gate" properly, the only thing I can think of that might give you a problem shifting into 5th is if the shift linkage is not aligned properly. But if it's going in nicely sometimes, I don't know why it wouldn't do it all the time.

I do know that Comp Mode or the Ranger clutch fluid swap method ARE NOT the reason for a problem shifting into 5th!!!

There have been a bazillion 4->5 shifts done at high speed with all models of the C6 at high speed events all over the country in the last 5-1/2 years the car has been out, and it just takes a little more care to get it into 5th than the 2->3 straight ahead push.

Good luck getting the problem figured out.

Bob
Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmzo6
Dealer/tech told me the Z06s need a clutch fluid entire system flush every 2 years. The reservoir flush technique we've seen on our forum is not adequate enough, I have done it multiple times and it was clean in the reservoir. If any of you saw my thread about Comp driving mode and prob with 5th gear shift, this was the cause according to the tech at the dealer. Also, this flush is covered under warranty and it is advised to not even remove the cap after the flush until the next full flush is done next time. They use a super Dot 4 fluid that is longer lasting and very sensitive to moisture. Hope this helps.
I thought your problem was comp mode and 5th gear engagement... not dirty clutch fluid and 5th gear... i'm so confused

So what's the dealer going to charge you for a clutch fluid flush... 3-4 hours @ $100/hour
I'm sure business is slow... so they wanna make money where ever they can.

I'd listen to BEZ06 before i'd listen to any dealer...
Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Bob
BOB -

Where did you get that photo of the DSOM Z crossing Start/Finish at TWS??

never mind - i guess it must be part of the website since i saw it when i wasn't logged in, then did not after i logged in to post up.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by GrampZ
BOB -

Where did you get that photo of the DSOM Z crossing Start/Finish at TWS??
That's my 2006 DSOM Z06 crossing the S/F at Daytona at about 175 mph during an HPDE here on the Rolex 24 road course at Daytona Int'l Speedway.

There are about 3 or 4 HPDEs here each fall during Oct/Nov/Dec.

Click on the picture and it should link you to a youtube video of a couple laps. Or, I'll post up a better link below.

BTW, the reason you saw it when you weren't logged in, and couldn't see it when you were logged in, is because it's my "signature". You can have a signature that will add stuff to each of your posts.

When you are logged in, you probably have your forum preferences set so that signatures are not displayed. When you were not logged in, the default is for signatures to display if people have one on their posts.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-23-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 PM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I can appreciate your trust in your dealer. Personally, I think they know less about these cars than a lot of CF members. JMHO.

What I would like to know is, after having them flush your system the "proper" way, is your problem resolved? Please keep us informed.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 PM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dirty clutch fluid is not selective, as in it would let you shift into 1~4, but not 5th....

I call Buuuuulllllssssshhhiiiiitttttt......
Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ Vette Guy
Dirty clutch fluid is not selective, as in it would let you shift into 1~4, but not 5th....

I call Buuuuulllllssssshhhiiiiitttttt......
Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 AM
jmzo6
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEZ06

It's true that your brake system and hydraulic clutch system should be flushed at least every 2 years. Brake/clutch fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture, which lowers the boiling point (hence the dry/wet boiling point specs for hydralulic fluid). That's why you need to flush at least every 2 years.

However, it is WELL ESTABLISHED that the Ranger method keeps your clutch fluid clean. If you go 2 years without doing the Ranger clutch fluid cleaning method (or otherwise flushing the clutch), you'll have black fluid filled with clutch dust (or whatever it is that gets into the fluid).

Good idea to keep the cap on the clutch and brake fluid reservoirs (and your bottles of fluid as well) - the idea being that moist air can quickly transfer its humidity into the hydraulic fluid, but I'm not that **** about it because I'm not convinced that there's an immediate transfer of atmospheric moisture from the air to the fluid. Also, the systems are not hermetically sealed. As the brake pads wear thinner, the pistons extend out further, and the fluid level goes down in the m/c. There is air in the top of the m/c, and there's a vent to allow additional air in as the fluid level drops.

I do the Ranger fluid swap before every track event, and in the winter I do it at least about every 6 weeks when just driving on the street. Like Ranger, I use Prestone DOT 4 in the clutch. The factory fluid in the brake system is a DOT 3 spec, but I use Motul RBF 600 DOT 4 in the brakes for a higher boiling point for the track. The Tech is correct that, in general, the higher the DOT rating the more easily the fluid will absord moisture.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...he-clutch.html

That's not something I'm going to do to my car 8 or 10 times a year. You can see in that thread that to get access to the clutch bleed valve you need to remove the exhaust and the tunnel plate to get to the valve. That's sure as hell not something I'm gonna let my local dealer do even every 2 years!!!

If you do remove the exhaust and tunnel plate to get to the valve, make sure you install a remote bleed valve so you can bleed the system without doing major wrenching to do a 5 minute clutch system flush.

OR.....just use the Ranger method - IT WORKS!!!!!

If you've been using the Ranger method regularly, then the dealer Tech's claim that your clutch fluid is the problem is BS!

Other than just not hitting the "shift gate" properly, the only thing I can think of that might give you a problem shifting into 5th is if the shift linkage is not aligned properly. But if it's going in nicely sometimes, I don't know why it wouldn't do it all the time.

I do know that Comp Mode or the Ranger clutch fluid swap method ARE NOT the reason for a problem shifting into 5th!!!

There have been a bazillion 4->5 shifts done at high speed with all models of the C6 at high speed events all over the country in the last 5-1/2 years the car has been out, and it just takes a little more care to get it into 5th than the 2->3 straight ahead push.

Good luck getting the problem figured out.

Bob

Ego does not prevent me from accepting the shift problem may be partly technique, but I wanted to find out was it the only reason. I've flushed the clutch at least 4-5x this past year and did so before this event (Ranger method). The tech said that when he flushed the system the lower end came out black at first and then was better. He had heard of this problem before and that 80% of the time it was the clutch fluid, and that the other method was not adequate. I've done 5-6 track days with this new car and the fluid was really black before I started routinely flushing it. Since I've had no other clutch problems, I agree it most likely is my technique. But, why did he still get black fluid out when the reservoir was pretty clean, slightly amber only?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

[QUOTE=jmzo6;1573861810]Ego does not prevent me from accepting the shift problem may be partly technique, but I wanted to find out was it the only reason. I've flushed the clutch at least 4-5x this past year and did so before this event (Ranger method). The tech said that when he flushed the system the lower end came out black at first and then was better. He had heard of this problem before and that 80% of the time it was the clutch fluid, and that the other method was not adequate. I've done 5-6 track days with this new car and the fluid was really black before I started routinely flushing it. Since I've had no other clutch problems, I agree it most likely is my technique. But, why did he still get black fluid out when the reservoir was pretty clean, slightly amber only? [/QUOTE

What did the dealer charge for the clutch fluid flush?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

Ego does not prevent me from accepting the shift problem may be partly technique, but I wanted to find out was it the only reason.
Your ego IS preventing you from accepting it.... Your technique was the only reason you didn't hit 5th....

So... How much did the dealer charge you for the lesson learned?!?!?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:56 AM
jmzo6
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ Vette Guy
Your ego IS preventing you from accepting it.... Your technique was the only reason you didn't hit 5th....

So... How much did the dealer charge you for the lesson learned?!?!?

No charge, all under warranty. Oh, but I did, and smiled all the way to 180mph on the run out of comp mode
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've yet to figure how "clutch dust" gets in the fluid system. Seems to me if the dust can get in, then the fluid can find the same way out, and therefore a leak. Never had this problem with any of my other non GM vehicles with a hydraulic clutch.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

We suspect the brake dust is clinging to the slave cylinder push rod when it extends, then when it retracts it comes back through the seal and the fluid absorbs it from the push rod.
It really needs to be re-engineered with a proper dust boot on the slave cylinder and an improved seal design. I am guessing it needs a stainless pushrod with a teflon seal and a full dust boot with an acordian design.

For now, a regular flush of the clutch master cylinder works well.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Covered under warranty, huh.

Thanks for the tip!
Going to the dealer for an oil change next week
Will have them check the fluid, swaybrar endlinks as well as o-ring in oil tank as long as I'm there.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:54 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Covered under warranty, huh.

Thanks for the tip!
Going to the dealer for an oil change next week
Will have them check the fluid, swaybrar endlinks as well as o-ring in oil tank as long as I'm there.
I'm going for the same but am also going to get them to check my shift technique and blood pressure.
Ah well.... All in good fun....
Old 04-24-2010, 05:44 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think all this stuff with clutch-fluid is over-rated. From what T56 Rebuilds in Houston told me, you replace the hydraulics every 50K miles anyways, per GM's recommendation. The hydraulics in my WS6 lasted about 90K miles before needing changing. Not bad at all, really. It cost me something like $100 and part of my afternoone. The slave was changed when the clutch was at 80K because the TO bearing was making racket on any shift above 5K. I have never had the dead-pedal, or any other thing like that, maybe I am just lucky, but I doubt it as everything else in the car has fallen apart.

Is the clutch-fluid issue 'vette specific? I am just presuming all T56 and their derivatives would suffer the same, no?

ETA---

I just watched user: "Ranger"s video. Jeez. I have a different opinion, it is definitely an issue and the PM is very simple. Do all T56 cars have this problem, or only 'vettes?

Last edited by BSSN; 04-24-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 PM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

No charge, all under warranty. Oh, but I did, and smiled all the way to 180mph on the run out of comp mode
Congrats on 180 in the mile....

But under warranty?!?!? Especially after you told them you took the cap off AND you did the Ranger method??? I remember a thread in here somewhere that once the poster told the dealer he opened the cap and did the Ranger method, he wanted to void the warranty.

Thank your "lucky" stars on that one.....

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Fluid Bulletin

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch Fluid Bulletin