Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Porsche not so fast after all

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Howydo
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Porsche not so fast after all

June issue of Road and Track magazine compares Corvette ZR1 to GTR and Porsche 911 977 II twin turbo.

Results:

Lap time at Spring Mountain ZR1=1:20.1
GTR= 1:20.9
Porsche=1:21.3

0-100 7.3(ZR1),8.0(GTR),7.9(P)

Quarter mile 11.5 @ 128.7 (ZR1), 11.6 @120.4 (GTR) and 11.7@ 121.8 (Porsche)

As usual Porsche's test mule is faster then their regular production cars

I love Porsche but you can't deny power to weight ratios. Sure to 60mph they are about the same but after that it's hello ZR1!
T
Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Hotmetal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUT ... Porsche Turbo with PDK transmission is much faster 0-60 in 2.9 sec
Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 PM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotmetal
BUT ... Porsche Turbo with PDK transmission is much faster 0-60 in 2.9 sec
But not high 120mphs as stated before...

R.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Hotmetal
Advanced

Originally Posted by Evilness

R.
You are right, but as most of the people, I do not drive 120mph on the street and honestly, i'm not often on a track. So 99.99% of the time I keep my speed under 120mph.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 PM
evoviiiyou
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilness

R.
Lets keep in mind the test car in this comparison was a 6speed and not a PDK 997.2. Big difference is right there. Heres the link to page 3 of the test:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...e_clash_page_3

And the fact that it actually won the comparison.

Last edited by evoviiiyou; 04-29-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
Lets keep in mind the test car in this comparison was a 6speed and not a PDK 997.2. Big difference is right there. Heres the link to page 3 of the test:

Are you filling in for notch or guibo?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Howydo
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 90 Posts

It barely won the comparison and mostly not on performance variables. Things like interior/exterior styling pushed it over the edge.

I currently have both a 911 turbo s and ZR1. They are both great cars for different reasons. When it comes to shear excitement, however, I prefer the ZR1...
Old 04-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Howydo
As usual Porsche's test mule is faster then their regular production cars
I'm not sure slower 997 Turbo times in R&T means a (faster) "Porsche test mule" was used in the Car and Driver test.

As mentioned above, R&T tested the 6-speed manual 997 Turbo, which is slower in acceleration than the PDK equipped Turbo (the PDK Turbo was used in the Car and Driver article). Can the differences in acceleration times between the two magazines be completely explained by "manual" versus "PDK"? I don't know the answer. But I do know that three things combine to provide better acceleration times in a PDK Turbo...launch control, much faster gear shifts, and no break in boost between gear shifts. If for example the PDK shifts gears just 0.2 seconds faster than what a driver can do with the manual, that would be a 0.6 sec difference in trap times between the two cars (all else being equal). How much higher would the trap speed be in the PDK Turbo given that the engine remains at full boost between every shift? I don't know, but it would without question be a higher than what the 6-speed could muster. And launch control with the PDK? It makes a difference too...the PDK can launch under boost while the 6-speed can't.

Last edited by Notch; 04-30-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:37 AM
tumbler05
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Are you filling in for notch or guibo?
Totally off topic but... Please inform the young lady in your avatar that I'm pretty sure I love her ... no wait.. yep, I'm sure.. I love her
Old 04-30-2010, 02:57 AM
EVILNESS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotmetal
You are right, but as most of the people, I do not drive 120mph on the street and honestly, i'm not often on a track. So 99.99% of the time I keep my speed under 120mph.
Not a big difference between 2.9 and 3.4 either.. the zr1 should still be faster...

Read the article and they only tested the turbo on that day the zr1 numbers they grabbed from when they tested that car in irvine. Had they tested both cars the same day belive that the zr1s trap speeds would of been in the 130s..
Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 AM
evoviiiyou
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Howydo
It barely won the comparison and mostly not on performance variables. Things like interior/exterior styling pushed it over the edge.

I currently have both a 911 turbo s and ZR1. They are both great cars for different reasons. When it comes to shear excitement, however, I prefer the ZR1...
Well stated and much appreciated. You have a nice stable! I was merely posting what I read in the article. I love the ZR1 with out question and the factory power it produces is earth shattering. My 2010 with PDK is my third modern Porsche (the other two were 6speeds) and I can attest to its ability. I am certain that above 125ish a stock ZR1 would pull my ride quite thoroughly stock to stock...but till 100mph in a straight the ZR1 would be questioning his chances. Both great cars for very different reasons and I love both of them!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Well stated and much appreciated. You have a nice stable! I was merely posting what I read in the article. I love the ZR1 with out question and the factory power it produces is earth shattering. My 2010 with PDK is my third modern Porsche (the other two were 6speeds) and I can attest to its ability. I am certain that above 125ish a stock ZR1 would pull my ride quite thoroughly stock to stock...but till 100mph in a straight the ZR1 would be questioning his chances. Both great cars for very different reasons and I love both of them!
Great post, and this debate should quietly end or it will turn into another bout of ad nauseum mine is bigger than yours, like it did the last time this topic was visited.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Futfixr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette6799
Great post, and this debate should quietly end or it will turn into another bout of ad nauseum mine is bigger than yours, like it did the last time this topic was visited.
But.....mine is bigger than yours.

Last edited by Futfixr; 04-30-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
If for example the PDK shifts gears just 0.2 seconds faster than what a driver can do with the manual, that would be a 0.6 sec difference in trap times between the two cars (all else being equal). How much higher would the trap speed be in the PDK Turbo given that the engine remains at full boost between every shift? I don't know,
There is something wrong w/your math above; the manual trans car doesn't come to a dead stop, then resume its previous speed, during the .2 second difference in the two cars' shifting speed; the manual car is still moving down the track at ~60, 90, and 118 mph during that .2 second delta in shifting time frames. So it won't be slower on that merit alone. It MAY be slower, but not because .2x3=.6.

As for boost as it relates to shifting, why can't you maintain full boost by using full throttle during shifts w/the manual trans?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
There is something wrong w/your math above; the manual trans car doesn't come to a dead stop, then resume its previous speed, during the .2 second difference in the two cars' shifting speed; the manual car is still moving down the track at ~60, 90, and 118 mph during that .2 second delta in shifting time frames. So it won't be slower on that merit alone. It MAY be slower, but not because .2x3=.6.

As for boost as it relates to shifting, why can't you maintain full boost by using full throttle during shifts w/the manual trans?
Get out of here with your logic and reasonable questions.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Notch
Safety Car

the manual car is still moving down the track at ~60, 90, and 118 mph during that .2 second delta in shifting time frames. So it won't be slower on that merit alone.
Anytime the car isn't at full acceleration, trap time is increasing.

And I don't recall saying that the PDK would have a lower trap time based on shifting alone.

Because in the manual, boost is a function of engine load; when the clutch is depressed (or when throttle is reduced with the transmission engaged to the engine), boost immediately drops very rapidly. And when there is a load again (post gear shift with throttle application), boost is not immediately back to maximum. In the manual 996 and 997 Turbo, you can rev the engine all you want with the engine not coupled to the transmission and you wouldn't generate any boost at all. In the PDK, with launch control engaged, you can hold the brake, floor the throttle, and the ECU will allow boost. The same ECU logic also helps in maintaining full boost at each gear shift.

The bottom line is a PDK is going to have a lower trap time, and higher trap speed than a 6-speed Turbo (all else being equal). Versus the manual 997 Turbo, the PDK is going to produce lower times in many, if not all, 0-XXX accelerations .

Last edited by Notch; 04-30-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:19 PM
0FORGED DST
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't get my issue yet........probably some Porsche or Nissan fan stole it !!

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche not so fast after all

Old 04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Notch
Anytime the car isn't at full acceleration, trap time is increasing.

And I don't recall saying that the PDK would have a lower trap time based on shifting alone.

Because in the manual, boost is a function of engine load; when the clutch is depressed (or when throttle is reduced with the transmission engaged to the engine), boost immediately drops very rapidly. And when there is a load again (post gear shift with throttle application), boost is not immediately back to maximum. In the manual 996 and 997 Turbo, you can rev the engine all you want with the engine not coupled to the transmission and you wouldn't generate any boost at all. In the PDK, with launch control engaged, you can hold the brake, floor the throttle, and the ECU will allow boost. The same ECU logic also helps in maintaining full boost at each gear shift.

The bottom line is a PDK is going to have a lower trap time, and higher trap speed than a 6-speed Turbo (all else being equal). Versus the manual 997 Turbo, the PDK is going to produce lower times in many, if not all, 0-XXX accelerations .
While I haven’t checked the boost during power shifts in my ZR1 I have done it in my old twin-turbo Camaro. Boost dropped half a pound and then spiked over half a pound. Not much loss at all.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GForceSS
While I haven’t checked the boost during power shifts in my ZR1 I have done it in my old twin-turbo Camaro. Boost dropped half a pound and then spiked over half a pound. Not much loss at all.
I imagine the computer programming in the Camaro is different than what Porsche uses.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Porsche not so fast after all