Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] problem with Steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 PM
knight1975
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with Steering wheel

Hey guys!! I just installed DS Vettes d-shaped steering wheel. The wheel looks awesome,but after installing it dosn't sit straight. The ppl that instaled it said they did there best and theres only one way to install the wheels. Talk to DS Vettes and they said ask them to re-install it or they will replace it. Has anyone know why im having this problem? the fact it dosn't sit right makes my driving experience terible.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar thing happened to me with my Caravaggio wheel. When I installed it, it was fine but one day I was turning the wheel for some reason while the car was sitting the garage and ever since then my wheel has been crooked. From what I've read you need to have the front end adjusted to reset the wheel position.

http://askville.amazon.com/Yeah-croo...onseId=2025151

I specifically was turning mine without the car running and thus no power steering hydraulics. So I porked my alignment and I bet they did the same thing I did.

Jay

Last edited by crease-guard; 05-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:11 AM
knight1975
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jay ! that helps
Old 05-22-2010, 10:55 AM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

there is no way turning the wheel without the car running would put the steering wheel off center...something else isn't right
Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
there is no way turning the wheel without the car running would put the steering wheel off center...something else isn't right
I agree. That just doesn't make sense.

Z//
Old 05-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

OP didn't say that... he just said "after installing it dosn't sit straight"

So someone pulled off his steering wheel... and reinstalled it. The steering wheel and hub have teeth... so they could have installed it 'one tooth off'... so the new wheel will look rotated.

What i don't remember is if the steering wheel is notched or indexed so it can only go on in one position. I dont think it is... but i'm not 100 % sure.

Pic's of the teeth on the steering wheel:
Old 05-22-2010, 02:59 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's impossible to install it off center. There are teeth but there is also a keyed notch in the center and you can see it in that picture. You can only get the wheel on one way.

I thought that too when I put my wheel on, I thought I had installed it off center. I had installed it once before and it was fine. Took it off and reinstalled again and that's when it was off. It was centered when I took it off but off center when I put it back on. The only thing I could relate this issue to was me turning the wheel while the car was off. I don't have any other reason why that would have happened. Be it the reason or not, meerly stating my observations.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To problem with Steering wheel

Quick Reply: [Z06] problem with Steering wheel