Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ZR1 Splitter Vulnerability

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 03:26 PM
NOSZ06
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ZR1 Splitter Vulnerability

I installed a new Katech CF ZR1 front splitter on the Z and was curious how resistant is carbon fiber to road rash?

It appears the ZR1 piece has about 1" less of ground clearance than the stock Z06 piece...Look out road rash.....
Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Z06

Katech

No splitter is going to take a straight on impact to a curb. Glancing scuffs to the bottom won't hurt it. It's when it's a scuff and a bend that you could do some damage. The plastic air dam hits everthing, but I never hit my splitter on anything. You just have to avoid extreme driveways. If you do have to go up a sharp driveway, it it at an extreme angle so the tire hits first.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Here's my ZR1 splitter after tangling with a tire tread that was shed from a truck recap:

So.....look out for those road gators!!!

Bob
Old 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
0Adam at RSI
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Here's my ZR1 splitter after tangling with a tire tread that was shed from a truck recap:

So.....look out for those road gators!!!

Bob
Yea, this is whats holding me back. I am constantly scrapping and knocking off my current stock splitter, which has 30 screws in it!

I see tire turds ALL over DFW roads!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My stock molded poly splitter already hit's enough thing's, but being a fairly inexpensive piece, not really losing any sleep over it. Wouldn't be to happy about trashing an expensive carbon fiber piece though. Also consider the more rigid carbon fiber piece wont flex like the molded stocker, so more likely to rip the screws/mounting nut's out of the car.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
My stock molded poly splitter already hit's enough thing's, but being a fairly inexpensive piece, not really losing any sleep over it. Wouldn't be to happy about trashing an expensive carbon fiber piece though. Also consider the more rigid carbon fiber piece wont flex like the molded stocker, so more likely to rip the screws/mounting nut's out of the car.
There are 13 screws that hold the stock ZR1 splitter on. When my splitter was ripped off, it didn't pull any screws out or damage the fascia at all.

I believe there are only 7 or 9 that hold the stock Z06 front spoiler/air dam on the car.

There have been several reports from Z06 owners that installed a splitter that air loads have ripped the splitter off the front fascia while driving down the highway.

If you look at the Katech site, they say you need to install the fascia/grill reinforcing piece if you install the splitter.

Bob
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM
QTR-Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam at RSI
Yea, this is whats holding me back. I am constantly scrapping and knocking off my current stock splitter, which has 30 screws in it!

I see tire turds ALL over DFW roads!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 PM
MyOtherZisQuicker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plan ahead, buy a second one now

Originally Posted by NOSZ06
I installed a new Katech CF ZR1 front splitter on the Z and was curious how resistant is carbon fiber to road rash?

It appears the ZR1 piece has about 1" less of ground clearance than the stock Z06 piece...Look out road rash.....
I have had two other cars with low (fiberglass) front splitters. If it's a daily driver, you will destroy it eventually guaranteed, no way to avoid it. If driven occasionally, you will buy yourself more time.

I suggest buying a second one now and keeping it on hand so when something happens, you can fix it right away. Then you can repair and prime the original one and sell it to someone who wants the monochrome look.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Code Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by MyOtherZisQuicker
I have had two other cars with low (fiberglass) front splitters. If it's a daily driver, you will destroy it eventually guaranteed, no way to avoid it. If driven occasionally, you will buy yourself more time.

I suggest buying a second one now and keeping it on hand so when something happens, you can fix it right away. Then you can repair and prime the original one and sell it to someone who wants the monochrome look.
I think the question is how durable the CF splitter is compared to a fiberglass one...yes fiberglass is expected to get the Dareto treatment...go ahead we'll make more. You can buy two...or three for the price of a CF, so can I expect to get 3x the wear from a CF vs. a fiberglass one?
Old 06-09-2010, 11:40 PM
MyOtherZisQuicker
Advanced

Originally Posted by Code Z
I think the question is how durable the CF splitter is compared to a fiberglass one...yes fiberglass is expected to get the Dareto treatment...go ahead we'll make more. You can buy two...or three for the price of a CF, so can I expect to get 3x the wear from a CF vs. a fiberglass one?
I wasn't really comparing "wear" of fiberglass to CF, just the likelyhood that given the inevitable traumatic hitting of something: tire treads, road debris, curb blocks you misjudge, that the CF will behave similarly to FG and crack.

I love the look, and if my car wasn't a daily driver on crappy michigan roads I would do it in a minute. If you are careful and attentive and drive the car occasionally I would take the risk.

Also, get yourself a money jar, and put a dollar in it for everytime you look at your car and say to yourself "damn, that's hot. Then you'll build up a kitty for your replacement.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:50 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

well i had my apr splitter on for around 1.5 years finally took it off due to i needed to do some repairs to it, from it got caught on my trailer door hinge, nothing major.

well went to a car show today and went to a place afterwards and i pulling into the parking lot with not even an extreme angle and F%#$ somehow there was a sticking up edge of the concrete and now have 2 pieces broken out of my zr1 splitter. sucks for sure since i have only had it on a week and a half. i have all the pieces and hopefully it is fixable. i will have to fiberglass it back together it looks like and paint flat back most likely but seems the zr1 is alot more vulverable then the apr splitter with the already integrated undertray
Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by dvandentop
well i had my apr splitter on for around 1.5 years finally took it off due to i needed to do some repairs to it, from it got caught on my trailer door hinge, nothing major.

well went to a car show today and went to a place afterwards and i pulling into the parking lot with not even an extreme angle and F%#$ somehow there was a sticking up edge of the concrete and now have 2 pieces broken out of my zr1 splitter. sucks for sure since i have only had it on a week and a half. i have all the pieces and hopefully it is fixable. i will have to fiberglass it back together it looks like and paint flat back most likely but seems the zr1 is alot more vulverable then the apr splitter with the already integrated undertray
You guys have car shows up there? Wow, I thought it never got above 32 degrees.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone make the ZR1 style front splitter from black ABS plastic? I would love one in ABS with the same pebble style kind of flat finish the stock Z06 splitter has. Would match all our wheel well trim, etc...Probably cheaper and would take mishaps better.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 PM
06Z
Racer

Originally Posted by Cucchiara
Does anyone make the ZR1 style front splitter from black ABS plastic? I would love one in ABS with the same pebble style kind of flat finish the stock Z06 splitter has. Would match all our wheel well trim, etc...Probably cheaper and would take mishaps better.

ABS ZR1 splitter does sound interesting!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cucchiara
I don't think anybody makes one because it would probably be too flexible and wouldn't work. ABS can be formulated to be quite rigid, but it's real benefits are that it is usually made to be a bit flexible for impact resistance.

If ABS splitter was soft enough to absorb impacts, it would fold up under air loads.

If it were made to be hard and rigid to handle the downforce it develops, it would be just like the carbon fiber or fiberglass splitters that are available.

The splitter adds a BUNCH of downforce!!!

With the stock front spoiler/air dam the Z06 has lift.

The ZR1 style splitter creates a lot of downforce and if it were flexible it would just fold under the load. There have been several forum members that have ripped their splitter off at highway speed without the reinforcing piece. If you put on a splitter without the ZR1 reinforcing piece, the splitter may create enough downforce to pull the whole fascia down and scrape the splitter on the road surface. Take a look at this video of a car with a splitter but no fascia reinforcement:

At 2:38 into the video you'll see this:

If you had a flexible splitter made a material soft/flexible enough to absorb impacts, I don't think it would be rigid enough to do what a splitter needs to do.

Bob
Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM
90sundevil
Melting Slicks

Received 745 Likes on 379 Posts

My guess there are many people who have their CF splitters on the garage wall in a couple of pieces.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Splitter Vulnerability

Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 90sundevil
My guess there are many people who have their CF splitters on the garage wall in a couple of pieces.
Yeah....there are a number of us already!!! The busted up one in the pics in post# 3 is in my garage.

However.....my new Katech one is on the car now, and it looks great!!!

Below is a link to a thread where I showed putting on the Katech splitter, and it also has pics of a Z06 spoiler/air dam on the ZR1 until I got delivery of the Katech one:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-splitter.html

I think I'm going to get another Z06 air dam to put on the ZR1 for daily driving, and especially for road trips in the future. It only takes less than 1/2 hour to swap them out - probably only take me 15 or 20 minutes next time.

Bob
Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally I think the Katech piece is an one of the best looking splitters out there. I would be sick if I bashed it up, my car scrapes the stock plastic peice all the time. But I would still love to have the CF unit on the car one of these days.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
CodeBlueZO6
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

someone needs to make an inexpensive EASY TO INSTALL splitter with undertray to be used for track days and then easily removed for street driving.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ZR1 Splitter Vulnerability