Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] DRM Installation writeup inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default DRM Installation writeup inside

nstallation instructions. There is a million different way to do the same job. This is how our guys do it.

1. Support car on jack stands, please refer to your owners manual on the proper way of doing this.
2. remove the rear wheels and it should look something like this. If not please stop drinking, put the tire back on your wife's car and go to bed.

3. You must support the lower ball joint, we use "poll jacks" But a standard automotive jack will do the job just fine. Put a very small amount of pressure on the lower ball joint-control arm so the spring has no tension.

4. We choose to remove the outer tie rod end to gain a few inches of working space. It's a 18mm and either a socket or wrench will work for removal.

5. This step is to remove the upper bolts on the football shaped upper rear mount. They are 13MM, we use a swivel socket but a wrench will work also. You can see the one bolt in the first picture above. Below is a picture of the football shaped upper mount.

6. The lower mount I didn't get a picture of. But it is a 24mm or 15/16 on both sides. Yes it is a large bolt. Remove the nut and bolt and the shock will slide out towards the back.

7. Transfer the upper mount to the Bilstein shock using either the Bilstein supplied bushings or DRM aftermarket ones. Please note the amount of bushing squeeze the factory shock has on it. Your new one should be very close in appearance.

8.Below is a picture of the top mount.

9. Reinstall the Bilstein shock exactly how you removed the stock one.
The only headaches will be the tie-rod end. You have to either put upward pressure on it with a jack or a channel lock pillars. This operation will allow you to install the nut without the tie-rod spinning around. There is also a allen wrench that you can use to hold the shaft from spinning, but you must use a wrench to tighten the tie-rod end. Make sure you check wheel torque after 50 miles!!!

10. Now on to the fronts. This is what it should look like, if not, start drinking. Call and see if the local shop makes house calls.

11A. This is a bit more difficult for some, and easier for others. If the rear tie-rod end went ok, we would suggest doing it this way.
Remove the tie-rod end, the same way as the rear setup. Please let me know if you have any questions on this part of it.

11B. The other method is to remove the upper control arm mounts and let that drop out of the way. You must support the lower ball joint-control arm during this step.

12. To get the top right front shock lose from the chassis you must remove the coolant tank. 10mm Bolts and a socket works just fine.

13. This is what the top mount looks like. There is a few ways of removing it. First off you can blast it off with a impact. It's kinda hard on the shock if the shaft turns a million rpm, but 95 percent of the time a quick blast and it's off without turning the shaft. You can also use a friend's hand to hold the shock shaft. The other method of doing this is to use a shock socket, ours is a snap on, but the way it looks there is other companies that sell them also. Or you can use a small wrench, or even a vise grip. The Stock shock top nut uses a 15mm and the Bilstein uses a 17mm.

14. The bottom mount I don't have a picture of either. It's a very simple t-bar setup with a 13mm bolt and 13mm nut. Simply remove them and the shock will fall out of the way.

15. Put everything back together the same way it came apart and enjoy a smoother, more planted ride

Thanks guys
Randy
PS if anyone has stuff to add, take away or anything else to the install please let me know. Personally I'm ok at a ton of things, but not a expert in install writeups
The following users liked this post:
2k Cobra (08-16-2016)
Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

I put Randy's installation information in PDF format for easy printing.

BilsteinInstallInstructions.pdf
Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 AM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the detailed pics and instructions!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Would it make anyone braver if I did some video documentation of the R+R and posted to YT?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 AM
HP ADDICT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance of getting a set of the these shocks at the GP price again?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:13 PM
NASTY ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Would it make anyone braver if I did some video documentation of the R+R and posted to YT?
That would be great! Appreciate it in advance!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:35 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HP ADDICT
Any chance of getting a set of the these shocks at the GP price again?
Yes sir. You have a PM.

Randy
Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

By popular (1 person) demand, I videotaped me going through the passenger side R+R on my car. Or at least the R part.

1 video is uploading, 1 video is encoding. It's all 1080p, this is a real "grassroots" effort, so don't expect SpikeTV quality narrating or video, but I hope it's enough to give you guys an idea of what's going on. I'll start a new thread with the video links when they're all done.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a post I made a while back with a couple of slide show attachments

To R&R Shocks without removing the Upper Control Arms or Ball Joints, just compress the Shock and secure it in the colapsed length with a piece of wire. Takes about 1 minute to wire the Shock up, much easier than removing The Upper Controll Arms from the Frame, and you won't throw the alignment off. This way the shortened Shock has plenty of clearace for removal and replacement.

Here is a link to a slide show of step by step Shock Removal
http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o...view=slideshow

Here is a link to a slide show for step by step Shock Replacement

Front shocks R&R the same way, the mounting bolts are just a little different.
Tighten lower mounting nuts to 21 ft lbs
Old 05-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm in the middle of installing these. Seeing how it's impossible to read torque on the upper front bolt using an allen wrench and end wrench, how do you know when enough is enough when using the DRM bushings? How much compression on the upper bushing do you want to see?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks for the write ups and the vids. I can't wait to get mine and get them installed. Do we have an update for the shipping on the GP yet?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Lethal427
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, how about a little review of how these actually work on the road????
Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethal427
Well, how about a little review of how these actually work on the road????
Search man...tons of awesome reviews.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I'm in the middle of installing these. Seeing how it's impossible to read torque on the upper front bolt using an allen wrench and end wrench, how do you know when enough is enough when using the DRM bushings? How much compression on the upper bushing do you want to see?
Send me over your email address. We have a better set of instructions!!!

Randy
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Send me over your email address. We have a better set of instructions!!!

Randy
That would be great. I have the front shocks in, but unsure how tight to suck up the top bolt with the poly bushings.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

What are the top nut recommendations.
I snugged it down until it just started to compress the bushing
I have upgraded bushings
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael_D
That would be great. I have the front shocks in, but unsure how tight to suck up the top bolt with the poly bushings.
Hi Mike, when I installed the DRM shocks with the poly bushings, I tightened down until the bushing was a little smaller then the OD of the washer...

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Installation writeup inside

Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx Schlick
Here is a post I made a while back with a couple of slide show attachments

To R&R Shocks without removing the Upper Control Arms or Ball Joints, just compress the Shock and secure it in the colapsed length with a piece of wire. Takes about 1 minute to wire the Shock up, much easier than removing The Upper Controll Arms from the Frame, and you won't throw the alignment off. This way the shortened Shock has plenty of clearace for removal and replacement.

Here is a link to a slide show of step by step Shock Removal

Here is a link to a slide show for step by step Shock Replacement

Front shocks R&R the same way, the mounting bolts are just a little different.
Tighten lower mounting nuts to 21 ft lbs

I just did this install a couple of months ago on my 10 Z06. I compressed the shocks by hand and used cable ties to hold the compression. I did not remove any suspension components for the installation.

I removed the front shocks and installed the DRM Bilsteins on the front drivers side without moving the coolant tank as well.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 PM
touring2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default track report?

Originally Posted by jb78L-82

I just did this install a couple of months ago on my 10 Z06. I compressed the shocks by hand and used cable ties to hold the compression. I did not remove any suspension components for the installation.

I removed the front shocks and installed the DRM Bilsteins on the front drivers side without moving the coolant tank as well.
Asking the group , now that the season has gone by, what is your opinion of the DRM Bilsteins performance vs '04 Z06's. Lap time improved? thanks all.
Bob
Old 08-16-2016, 08:25 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Bringing this thread back from the grave since these shocks are back in stock so I'm sure many members are searching this up anyway.

Just wanted to share a tip that I didn't see included anywhere:

For installing the front Bilsteins, I wasn't able to get the 13mm bolts through because of the difference in angles between the lower A arm and the bolt holes on the T bar end of the shock. If you look at the oem shock, you'll see the bolt holes on the T bar end are angled at about 30* (don't quote me!) to horizontal, which lets them sit flush against the A arm and the bolts slide through easily.

The Bilstein bushing sits with the bolt holes at 0* to horizontal, which made it very hard for me to insert the 13mm bolts due to the difference in angle between the shock end's bolt holes and those of the A arm. So I put one end (the shock's T bar end) in a vice and holding only the yellow steel shock body, just pushed the shock body to the side to make the bushing turn and have the bolt holes mimic the angle of the oem shock's.

This let the 13mm bolts pop right in with no fighting them/forcing anything.
Hope this helps; PM me if unclear.

Quick Reply: [Z06] DRM Installation writeup inside