Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 17K miles....need new rotors and pads?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:38 PM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 17K miles....need new rotors and pads?!?!

OK....I put 17K on my 08 Z. My dealer is now telling me that I need new rotors and pads....giving me an estimate of $1900.

I understand that the pads may have to be replaced earlier than average....but the rotors as well? Heck....am I going to have to do this every 17K miles? Is there an aftermarket option that will take more abuse that is better than OEM GM? I have never tracked my car, should my warranty cover the rotors? Thanks guys.

Harry
Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM ZO-6 pads are expensive at about $500 list, but a total $1900 job w/rotor's sound's way high to me. I've seen other member's getting a rotor set for about $600. Are you sure you even need new rotor's. You're best bet is to shop your own part's and either DIY or have a private shop do the work. Also, the rear brakes usually last a lot longer than the front's, so maybe something to keep in mind. If staying with OEM part's, check with GM forum vendor's like GM Part's House and Part's Taxi. If after maket's o.k. lot's of option's, especially if you're not tracking. Recently saw a brand new Hawk HPS 20 piece padlet set in the C6 for sale section for $200 buck's.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:36 AM
sunalsorises
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrtyHarry
OK....I put 17K on my 08 Z. My dealer is now telling me that I need new rotors and pads....giving me an estimate of $1900.

I understand that the pads may have to be replaced earlier than average....but the rotors as well? Heck....am I going to have to do this every 17K miles? Is there an aftermarket option that will take more abuse that is better than OEM GM? I have never tracked my car, should my warranty cover the rotors? Thanks guys.

Harry
I must rethink C6 Z06 ownership. $1900 is a LOT of money to replace pads and rotors! How much of that cost is parts and how much is labor?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:42 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Now have C6. However, when had my 01 C5 was told by dealer if brakes wore out in first 24k miles GM would replace for free which they did (and I bought the C5 second hand). Suggest contact another dealer and GM direct...Good luck !!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Harry
Are you driving with all safety nannies on? If so do they interfere often?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:27 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

warranty does not cover consumables but it does cover problems causing abnormal wear. if the dealer is claiming all your brakes are shot and it's normal wear (so you have to pay), have them put it in writing and tell them you will contact GM to confirm the that this is expected wear. i bet they will backpedal a that point.

most dealers make a lot less money on warranty work compared to ripping you off for out-of-warranty service. as soon as you hear "not covered by warranty", walk out and take the car somewhere (anywhere) else.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM
goatts
Safety Car

Have someone you trust look at them. The rotors probably don't even need to be turned let alone replaced. How much pad is left? And yes, aftermarket pads are much cheaper.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:06 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Thanks for the replies guys, I have the estimate home and will post back what the parts/labor costs are. And no, I hardly drive with the safeties on....only in the rain or on slick roads. I'm going to talk to my dealer again about the warranty, thanks for the advice longdaddy. Oh, and I replaced my tires all ready once and it looks like I need to replace my rears as well. Damn these tires burn out quick. Owning a Z is a lot more expensive than I thought....though not nearly as bad as some others. Thanks guys.

DH
Old 06-26-2010, 09:08 AM
DrtyHarry
Pro

Originally Posted by goatts
Have someone you trust look at them. The rotors probably don't even need to be turned let alone replaced. How much pad is left? And yes, aftermarket pads are much cheaper.
Not much, I'm almost at the metal. I was told 80%. The car shuffles a little under hard breaking. I would go aftermarket with the pads, but I would be looking for something better and longer lasting...not so much cheaper. IF in fact the rotors do need replacing, how much should I be looking at for a rotor and pad job on all four corners?

DH
Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

If you purchase the OEM parts through one of our Forum vendors you can save about $500 on the parts.

My local chevy dealer let's bring my own parts.

Description..................Year....MSR P.....YourPrice.Quantity.Total.Price

Front pads, corvette, w/z06..06-08..$451.66...$293.58.....1........$293. 58
Rear pads, corvette, w/z06...06-08..$438.50...$285.02.....1........$285. 02
Rotor Rotor, corvette, w/z06.06-10..$131.98...$85.79.......4........$343 .16
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals............................$1,418 .08........................$921.76

http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partl...layCatalogid=0
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Harry
IMO you shouldnt need pads yet... I have 27k with several 1/4 mile slowdowns..... My pads are about 1/2 worn. If you have never tracked the car, unless you are doing a lot of street blasts to triple digits with hard braking, you shouldnt need brakes yet. Have someone else check the car. Dealers need business and that 1900 sounds WAY high too.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:46 AM
NJ Vette Guy
Burning Brakes

Run, Harry...... RUN!!!

Because your "stealer" is looking for you to make this month's mortgage payment....

There are a lot of choices to make - ceramic, semi metallic, OEM, etc. Here is a link from when I bought mine.....

Brake and Rotor choices, search here:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

Last edited by NJ Vette Guy; 06-26-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OEM rotors from the forum vendors are only about $80 each. If the car/steering wheel shakes under braking, then your rotors may be warped or you have some buildup. There could possibly be something wrong with the pads, but this isn't likely.

You can get better-than-oem pads in the 200-300 range, so for a full brake job, the parts will cost you ~620. But like it was said before, if your pads have pad material left, you probably don't need to change them.

If you're near Austin, TX, let me know and I can help you out if you want to DIY.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

My front brakes were shot at 24k, pads and rotors both. I am kinda hard on brakes. As reported above, GM rotors can be had for about $75-80 and pads for something over $300. It's highly doubtful there's anything wrong with your rear brakes. So $500 in parts + labor. Mail order the parts, and find a good Vette mechanic. Dealers are for major warranty work only, imo.

If you put your location in your profile, you might get suggestions on where to take it. Or post up in the appropriate regional forum. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:26 PM
LEJ ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 34,000 on mine

I have 34,000 miles on stock rotors and Hawk ceramic pads. All street driving. It looks to me like they will go at least 50,000.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude run away from that dealer...... far far away
Old 06-26-2010, 03:46 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Do the work yourself, the dealer will bend you over for this. Its easy to do and you will save a bunch of money. You must drive the heck out of your car for new rotors and pads already. I track mine, im at 16K miles. Other then bleeding and different pads my rotors still look good.
Some rotors are pretty reasonable. Look around for pads. Oem are ridiculously priced.

Get notified of new replies

To 17K miles....need new rotors and pads?!?!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:57 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Not much, I'm almost at the metal. I was told 80%. The car shuffles a little under hard breaking. I would go aftermarket with the pads, but I would be looking for something better and longer lasting...not so much cheaper. IF in fact the rotors do need replacing, how much should I be looking at for a rotor and pad job on all four corners?

DH
If you don't race, ceramic pads may be the ticket. The rotors don't need to be replaced, they can be turned.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:33 PM
07AOZO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 23000 miles I installed Hawk HPS pads all the way around, the stockers still had life but just wanted to try the Hawks, they work great, no noise and a lot less dust! The rotors are still stock, did not even have to turn them. Bought the pads online for only $270 for all 4 corners.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:01 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

the rotors rarely "need" to be turned, in spite of what your mechanic tells you. in fact, turning the rotors that are wearing correctly will shorten their life as you are removing material to get rid of small imperfections that are probably not making any difference with regard to how well your brakes work.

if the rotors are not wearing correctly, the problem is likely elsewhere and the root cause needs to be fixed before resurfacing the rotors or buying new ones.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 17K miles....need new rotors and pads?!?!