Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 warranty vs. track days

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 03:48 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
Like oil and water.

The car is advertised and promoted to race on the weekends and drive to work on monday with a warranty but don't try it as the red-tape runs deep and you will get tangled up.
Not trying to be combative.....but link to where GM has promoted the
Z06 as a race car with a warranty?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GTABurnout
Competition and Track days are not the same. Timing means everything so no timing no racing.
and "abuse" is also in there which, one could easily define competition being an abusif method of driving the car hmmmm....
Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Not trying to be combative.....but link to where GM has promoted the
Z06 as a race car with a warranty?
how about just showing any advertising that's out there? because I've not seen any corvette adds on TV...not even sure about in magazines either...so if it's a person working for GM stating that at an event (car show or what not) that's then posted on YouTube, I wouldn't really call that "GM advertising"
Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,057 Posts

GM didn't sign up to sponsor a race car for you. The verbage in the warranty statement is crystal clear.

And where's the lap timer on a Z06?
"Track Mode 1" and "Track Mode 2" in the HUD. No lap timer, but there's a shift indicator and a G meter. Seems pretty obvious that GM intended this to be run on a track. And a track does not mean "competitive driving". But, there's "Competitive Driving" mode in the traction/active handling system.

Definitely some shades of gray here.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:33 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

GM didn't sign up to sponsor a race car for you. The verbage in the warranty statement is crystal clear.

And where's the lap timer on a Z06?
He wasn't racing. He was at a DE, where there is no competition and no racing. The verbiage in the warranty says "racing or other forms of comeptition..." which he was not engaged in. So to me, since the warranty doesn't exclude it, it should be covered. Far from crystal clear. I don't recall where the lap timer is. I used it on his C5, but never used it on his C6. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Originally Posted by EViL427
"Track Mode 1" and "Track Mode 2" in the HUD. No lap timer, but there's a shift indicator and a G meter. Seems pretty obvious that GM intended this to be run on a track. And a track does not mean "competitive driving". But, there's "Competitive Driving" mode in the traction/active handling system.

Most definitely. My point is that it should be covered by the manufacturer, because the car was not being operated in any way outside of what the manufacturer intended it to do. You buy track options from the factory, you put the car in "Competitive Driving Mode" for Chris-sakes, you turn you HUD to "Track Mode" you watch the lovely little accompanying DVD that has a whole section about operating your vehicle at a race track, and no where is there a friendly little asterisk that says *If you use this car in any way that it's been marketed and sold to you, your warranty will be void* If they're gonna sell a vehicle with intentions to be used on a track, then they should stand behind their product when it's used on a track. Period. The fact that most people buy Corvettes to cruise around 5000 miles a year and look cool in doesn't detract from the fact that it's actually a very capable sports car, and GM has marketed it and sold it as such from day one.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 07-28-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Jofu
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427

You could extend that line of thinking, and say "GM should pay for accident repairs, because they put an airbag in the car. Seems pretty obvious that GM intended this to be run in the wall"

Similarly, many cars nowadays have tires rated above 150mph for up to 30 minutes or so. It unfortunately doesn't mean that the car company sanctions running at those speeds for any amount of time.

I do understand your thinking, as many things need to live up to their expected use. Like tools, for example. But unfortunately extending that concept to cars and/or other complex mechanical objects is unrealistic, because they incur wear and tear, whereas a wrench or screwdriver wouldn't.

Just my 2 cents!

Geoff
Old 07-28-2010, 05:50 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mirage2991
how about just showing any advertising that's out there? because I've not seen any corvette adds on TV...not even sure about in magazines either...so if it's a person working for GM stating that at an event (car show or what not) that's then posted on YouTube, I wouldn't really call that "GM advertising"
Tough crowd!

Give me a minute....

EDIT:

How's this?

“The Z06 enables the driver to turn excellent track lap times, but it also is quick to learn and is very forgiving for its performance level,” said Hill. “We tested its capability around the world to ensure it will feel at home on any road or race track.”

I was shuffling through the zillions of articles I've saved and this came up in one of them.. it can be found here:

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2006/index.shtml

That article is loaded with suggestions and direct links that the Z06 is a road car that is capable of racing on a race track.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/...chnology.shtml

Tons of good quotes in that one as well....

I can keep going on and on but the fact of the matter is, like it or not, they sold the car as one that can handle a racetrack and drive to work without once mentioning "well, if you do go to the track, you're warranty is void though"

I'll keep searching as there is plenty of material on the subject.

And on TV commercials and cars.... just how many C6 Z06 commercials are there for TV anyways? Exactly! Not to many if any at all....

Last edited by obzidian; 07-28-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Jofu
You could extend that line of thinking, and say "GM should pay for accident repairs, because they put an airbag in the car. Seems pretty obvious that GM intended this to be run in the wall"

Similarly, many cars nowadays have tires rated above 150mph for up to 30 minutes or so. It unfortunately doesn't mean that the car company sanctions running at those speeds for any amount of time.

I do understand your thinking, as many things need to live up to their expected use. Like tools, for example. But unfortunately extending that concept to cars and/or other complex mechanical objects is unrealistic, because they incur wear and tear, whereas a wrench or screwdriver wouldn't.

Just my 2 cents!

Geoff
Not quite. A Safety Restraint System is also included with my Honda Accord, but there is absolutely nothing in that car that indicates "Track" or "Competitive".
Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the GM "black box" holds data for the last 15-30 minutes. It does record events which can be used to "datalog" the problem.

But that isn't the problem.... if you wish, just go back and search for ALL OF THE advertising and marketing use on a z06. Let's say a 100% stock car blows a motor on a track (like they said it could and still have an intact warranty) wouldn't you assume that GM should repair it? Nope... not going to happen... BS marketing/advertising to entice the buyer and when it comes for them to hold up their end of the bargain, well, they'll just point out the clauses in your owners manual that contradicts said advertising, press releases, marketing schemes, etc.

Unethical and just plain old misleading, play of words.
totally and anyone else believing otherwise is nothing more than a GM loyalist .
Old 07-28-2010, 08:08 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

I think the worst part is that this being the corvette forum, GM execs. do occasionally rummage around here and see/hear the complaints us little people express on here. However, they don't bother to deal with this "issue" directly or are directed not to specifically from someone farther up.

At the end of the day, us, the consumer, is still left in the dark on many issues and instead of thread rejoicing a solution we are still making threads hoping that someone will listen and address it.

...again, not going to happen. Unfortunately we would love to believe that the down-to-earth people, the engineers and/or those that can sympathize with "us" run the place but that is far from the truth.... and that is EXACTLY why we're still typing redundant info in threads such as this very one.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

...again, not going to happen. Unfortunately we would love to believe that the down-to-earth people, the engineers and/or those that can sympathize with "us" run the place but that is far from the truth.... and that is EXACTLY why we're still typing redundant info in threads such as this very one.
Yes well, now that Comrade Obama is running GM I doubt things will be getting much better as far as honoring the warranties of the non-proletariat vehicle of choice.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:34 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about our vendors on the forum who build engines for us to play with will they cover a blown engine
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46 PM
obzidian
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '09

Most warranties cover craftsmanship and/or faulty parts. With most warranties though go like this:

you race it, you break it, you fix it however, you'll get a much better response and honest (hopefully) communication with a vendor since we're all on the same level.... maybe even a small "helping hand" to keep the customer happy, even if the customer was responsible for toasting a motor.... seen it before.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

People beat the snot out of their cars at track days just like it was a real race.

I have plenty of friends that do these & while there is no official timing kept,for every guy that has no idea how he's doing,there are five that have some kind of timing device in the car.
You're right about that as I'm hitting the rev limiter quite a bit in all the excitement. Suprising what just about any modern car will take, though. Our track club run's several group level's with just about anything you can name. Guy with a 150,000 mile 95' Chevy Caprice run's it flat out the whole time. The event organizer ran his Dodge Neon SRT every lap of the day, and the list goes on. A Vette better be able to take it. Lot more happen's on the track than powertrain, such as constant suspention/wheel bearing load's.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:05 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

No mass production car warranty covers track use, not Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, or any other. There is track insurance for that. You buy the car knowing that. The Z06 is a great track car but everyone who does it knows its "you play, you pay". To the OP I would say your Dad apparently knew that and moved on. Its not even your car and you've already said you'd never buy a Corvette, why are you here?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:15 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are many, many facts that weigh in favor of GM's continued contractual obligation despite their "attempt" to exempt themselves from it, several of them listed in this thread already.

Here's another:
If the Z06 wasn't meant to be used on the track, why did GM upgrade the dry-sump system in '09? The ONLY instances of failure as a result of oil starvation were on tracks, AFAIK. I know I could come up with many more if I thought about it or researched the issue more.

Your dad obviously didn't consult an attorney or aggressively pursue it up the GM corporate chain... If he had, I feel confident (as a lawyer) GM would have caved. They'd NEVER want to actually litigate the case. It'd turn into a nice little class action, and their chances of winning are not good.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I don't think the issue ever was whether the Z06 is engineered for track use, it is. The issue is warranty. All manner of manufacturers make track ready cars, but they do not then agree to pay for everything and anything that might happen when you go to the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 warranty vs. track days

Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by foremaw
No mass production car warranty covers track use, not Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, or any other. There is track insurance for that. You buy the car knowing that. The Z06 is a great track car but everyone who does it knows its "you play, you pay". To the OP I would say your Dad apparently knew that and moved on. Its not even your car and you've already said you'd never buy a Corvette, why are you here?
Track insurance for mechanical failures? Do tell. I know you can get it for collisions and what not, but I've never seen insurance against mechanical failures. And I'm not sure why you think one buys a Corvette knowing it's not going to be covered on the track. He didn't know, I didn't know, and all the marketing and sales pitch stuff from GM implies the exact opposite. Most of the guys on the track didn't know either. They all figured it'd be covered. I guess many of us out there are very much un-educated on the subject. Shoulda cracked open the warranty right at the track and reviewed it. But again, it only says "racing and other forms of competition..." so in this age of lawyers I would have assumed it was covered anyway, since it wasn't implicitly excluded in the warranty.

I've been here for awhile, asking questions and what not which is why I'm a member here. I've had much respect for the Corvette and what it can do from a cost/performance aspect. But after this, no, I will not be buying one.

I wish I could poll everyone in this thread and see who tracks their cars and who doesn't. I like that some absurd number of GT3 owners have tracked, or track their car regularly. I get the impression that number with Z06 owners is quite low.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foremaw
I don't think the issue ever was whether the Z06 is engineered for track use, it is. The issue is warranty. All manner of manufacturers make track ready cars, but they do not then agree to pay for everything and anything that might happen when you go to the track.
Perhaps, but if nothing else, the implied warranty of merchantability would preempt their vague "exclusion" attempt. This is wholly separate from any deceptive business practice claims.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:20 AM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,324 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by mirage2991
First for the record I have been a loyal GM customer for over 30 years with well over 20 new vehicles purchases. Also there are no tracks near me and I have never and probably would never track my Z06 because I just don't care to do that. But this being said before I ordered my 08 Z06 for Museum Delivery I visited the plant and took the "public" group tour. Before the tour began we had to watch a video which covered a variety of subjects about Corvettes. The one thing that stuck in my mind was the Z06 being driven on a track by a professional driver touting all it's abilities for such, lightweight, handling, big brakes, power and dry sump oiling system. There were no other cars on the track and he WAS NOT racing but simply enjoying the abilities of the Z06. What would 99% of those watching this portion of the video conclude from this? GM tries to ride a very fine line in this area and some owners have paid the price. I'm betting that section is no longer included in the video. As stated I am a big GM buy at home fan BUT they have definitely misled us on this. No I don't believe anyone doing competitive drivng should be covered but neither do I agree with or understand all those defending GM's stance on this subject. Driving your car on a track for fun is not competitive or racing! It's sort of like giving a kid a box of matches then if he gets burned saying he should have known not to take them out of the box! I love my Z06!

Last edited by BearZ06; 07-29-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 warranty vs. track days