Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Thread of different splitters plllllzzzzz??:)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thread of different splitters plllllzzzzz??:)

Is it too much to ask to have a thread showing pictures and dimensions on the different Front splitters around so newbies don't have to keyword search for info and pics for each Individually. That takes FOreVEr!! There's one for the little rear spoilers...Plllleeaaaasseeee... If there already is one just leave a link and I apologize in advance.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:26 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Here are some shots of my Apsis ZR1 style splitter.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:10 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Not really sure of the brand... came on the car when I bought it.

I'll be switching to a zr1 style though because this one doesn't have holes for the brake ducts plus I'd rather have CF

Last edited by cyi1; 08-01-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Good, guys!! Lets keep it rollin. Lets see some nice shots of an mti, zr1, apr, etc.......I have the zr1 but I don't like it because I think I'd prefer it to follow the nose shApe better, plus it's not even flat on the bottom side Any tech advice is welcomed too. I know a few of these are wind tunnel tested, which again? Wow, Atlanta! I thought I'd seen them all, but that thing has a tiny upturn on the leading edge, anyone know where his came from?

Last edited by therodguy; 08-01-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

First, let me say that I highly recommend that you get the fascia/grill reinforcement if you're going to put a splitter on your Z06 or GS. The ZR1 has the reinforcement because GM found that a splitter provides such an increased downforce that it will deform the fascia - even at highway speeds. There are a number of owners that have had the splitter rip off the car because they didn't put on the reinforcing piece.

A chunk of tire tread in the highway wiped out my stock ZR1 splitter.

I replaced it with a Katech splitter:

It looks basically exactly like the OE ZR1 splitter, but I actually like the color better - it's a nicer gray/black color, and the OE one has a weird greenish tint in some light conditions. And a new OE splitter would have cost about 3 times what the Katech one cost!!!!!

Also, the Katech splitter is set up to attach their "undertray", which will make it flat underneath to further enhance the aerodynamic downforce. In the picture below you can see how the lip of the OE splitter just rolls under, and the Katech one has flat lip that has nuts bonded on the inside of the lip so you can bolt the undertray right to the splitter:

Katech also has some nice brake ducts, and they're required if you use the undertray.

Here's a thread with more pictures that compares the Katech to the OE splitter:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-splitter.html

I give a big to the Katech splitter!!!

Bob
Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Thanks so much guys!!! Now let's see some of the ones that are the same shape as the z nose instead of being wider at the ends. Very curious about those. Hopefully this will be a great shortcut thread for those considering one of these. I know cencal is sporting an apr It's different and pretty sweet
Old 08-01-2010, 10:17 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Special thanks beez for adding additional info and pictures of the bottoms as thats exactly what I'm taking about, most all these things have Little engineering differences and sharing personal experience/preferences is very informative
Old 08-01-2010, 10:20 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by cyi1
Not really sure of the brand... came on the car when I bought it.

I'll be switching to a zr1 style though because this one doesn't have holes for the brake ducts plus I'd rather have CF
Looks great.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Below is a picture of a smiling Z06 from during Katech's testing. You can see how the splitter (any splitter, not just the Katech one) will deflect the front fascia without the ZR1 reinforcing piece.

You can get the GM one that is stock on the ZR1, or Katech makes one. I think it's a necessary upgrade if you're putting a splitter on a Z06 or GS.

Bob

Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
knight1975
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
It looks basically exactly like the OE ZR1 splitter, but I actually like the color better - it's a nicer gray/black color, and the OE one has a weird greenish tint in some light conditions. And a new OE splitter would have cost about 3 times what the Katech one cost!!!!!
GM claims they use a very expensive additive that will stop the clearcoat from yellowing. I don't know if the Katech unit uses it, but for three times the price, it's a no brainer.

I use the MTI splitter with Finspeed ducts that replace the fog lights. They look awesome, and are a completely sealed unit all the way to the spindle ducts.
Please excuse the bugs and the peeling clearbra.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dfinke23
GM claims they use a very expensive additive that will stop the clearcoat from yellowing. I don't know if the Katech unit uses it, but for three times the price, it's a no brainer.

I use the MTI splitter with Finspeed ducts that replace the fog lights. They look awesome, and are a completely sealed unit all the way to the spindle ducts.
Please excuse the bugs and the peeling clearbra.
Wow!!! That MTI piece and the Finspeed brake ducts look GREAT!!

Katech says they have a UV protectant mixed into the resin of their carbon fiber pieces.

Bob
Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
ISLANDBOY2
Instructor

Default ZO6 JSB in WA

Ordered from KATECH, Thanks Jason

Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM
1badassZ
Racer

LG's

Old 08-02-2010, 02:56 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 08-02-2010, 02:57 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Who makes that splitter?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Nice, very nice boys!! Now let's see some of those that follow the contour of the nose exactly. I'm pretty sure apr and apsis do. Tell us about the bottoms or your splitters too. Are they flat, or hollow like my ghey zr1 one. I acutally really like the one on that black z too. Nobody knows what brand that is? The smiling z is funny looking, looks like the reinforcement is a pretty big deal unless your not driving over the speedlimit ever. I found most of this before starting the post, but man did it take a while!! Great info guys, keep it coming

Get notified of new replies

To Thread of different splitters plllllzzzzz??:)

Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dfinke23
^ Who makes that splitter?
Yup, there it is again......someone knows where that comes from surely, remember fellas, stats are as important on this thread as the pictures. When you post'em, tell us everything you know about'em plz
Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM
therodguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1 slow 97

I remeber this car, widebody from some small oFf brand guy, right? Looks very good. and you have tons more pics of it right? Got any from directly about the nose.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:19 PM
1badassZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Finnan
Nice, very nice boys!! Now let's see some of those that follow the contour of the nose exactly. I'm pretty sure apr and apsis do. Tell us about the bottoms or your splitters too. Are they flat, or hollow like my ghey zr1 one. I acutally really like the one on that black z too. Nobody knows what brand that is? The smiling z is funny looking, looks like the reinforcement is a pretty big deal unless your not driving over the speedlimit ever. I found most of this before starting the post, but man did it take a while!! Great info guys, keep it coming
LG's is a flat bottom...

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thread of different splitters plllllzzzzz??:)