Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LOUD ticking at 1,500 to 2,000 rpms... What's the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
Since some of the rockers are offset, it should be no surprise that the valve guides can and do "BELLMOUTH." "Side forces" on the valve stem will cause it to fail.
Now, if the needles have left the trunnion, then the angle of the rocker will increase, causing the valve to have even more side loads placed upon it. Now you're REALLY looking @ valve failure!
nope, no side load by design, but only IF the needle fails.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:06 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
nope, no side load by design, but only IF the needle fails.
Have you tested to prove this theory?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 PM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Received 1,138 Likes on 466 Posts

My 08 is in the shop right now for a similar sound. The first time I brought it in they said it was normal. A few days later I just couldn't take it anymore and made sure they took a serious look at it. Turns out it had a bad lifter and it ruined the cam. So now i'm waiting on parts, all new lifters and cam under warranty. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srobert910
My 08 is in the shop right now for a similar sound. The first time I brought it in they said it was normal. A few days later I just couldn't take it anymore and made sure they took a serious look at it. Turns out it had a bad lifter and it ruined the cam. So now i'm waiting on parts, all new lifters and cam under warranty. Good luck with yours.
wow, thats a couple 08's with cams gone bad from the factory.. odd.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
Have you tested to prove this theory?
There isn't a need to test that when you look at the design and understand mechanical engineering. The only way you would get a side load is IF the rocker were to loose it's needles.
The rocker is held by a shaft, therefore, there's no side load at the valve stem.
Now if it used a ball type of rocker such as in a gen 1 sbc then yes you would get a side load.
Ps: I don't even have time to cut my lawn during the week so I have no time to create a CATIA model or a Nastran model to demonstrate. But if you think about it you will pick up what I'm putting down

Last edited by mirage2991; 08-11-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:49 AM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Like all C6 Z06s I too have some ticking. I notice it more when I drive my daily driver more, when I get in the Z it sounds worse. I know it's because I forgot how loud it is. It's always ticked more then it should IMO.... but so has every other LS7 I have rode in.

To OP... good luck and keep us posted on the outcome!!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:09 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

I mentioned above that my dealer replaced all lifters and the "clattering" noise remained. Here's the rest of the story:

The service manager and I took a short ride in my car to again verify presence of "the noise". It was there loud and clear in the 1800 to 2800 rpm range. We then took another available Z06 for the same ride and, to my surprise, this engine made the same sound as mine. I thought mine was louder, but, nonetheless, the sounds were the same -- sounds like a single lifter making substantially more noise than the rest.

The service manager agreed to discuss the issue with GM Engineering. GM Engineering reported that these engines make this type of noise to one degree or another. They stated that they have disassembled several high-mileage engines and have found no unusual wear or damage attributable to this issue.

I don't like the noise because it's quite audible under certain conditions, but I'm going to drive my Z06 as if the noise wasn't there. I put a fair amount of miles on my Vettes, so time will tell.

Ernie
Old 08-23-2010, 01:55 PM
BrokerDon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smkn 07
My 2010 Z06 with about 5500 miles has had a very similar noise since new. It's most obvious between about 1800 and 2800 rpm's in my case with about 2500 rpm being the loudest. ...and, yes, my wife has commented on the "clatter" as well.

This noise sounds to me exactly like a noisy lifter. My dealer agreed and replaced all of the lifters, but the noise is still there. I'll be seeing my dealer again in a couple of days and we'll decide where to go from here. I'll keep you posted on our progress.
Did they resolve your problem? Mine TICKING is no closer to a resolution so I'm wondering what you & RichieRichZ06 came up with on yours.

I picked ,y Z06 up from the dealer late Saturday afternoon after they supposedly did the TSB on the dry sump oil system O-ring... Nothing changed... still TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK

I'm going to do a test drive with their technician today to see if we can finally get him on the same page... So far they're fixing things that have NO effect on the irritating TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK that's most noticeable between 1,500 and 2,000 rpms, unlike my buddy's '07 which runs like a sewing machine.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:08 PM
ErnieD
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Originally Posted by BrokerDon
Did they resolve your problem? Mine TICKING is no closer to a resolution so I'm wondering what you & RichieRichZ06 came up with on yours.
Please see my post just above your last post and also the PM I sent you a few days ago.

Keep me posted on your progress, but we may just have to live with this noise.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Not to be a wise guy , I learned to live with it and turned the radio up. The fast ramp cam's will do it every time. It's the nature of the beast.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many people who are experiencing this ticking sound have Long Tube headers? I never had a tick until I installed my LT's and I was told the ticking is the sound of the fuel injectors pulsing which is always there but more audible with the LT's. If it is another problem with the motor then I must have a freak motor because its blown and putting down 677hp to the wheels with no breakage yet. "Knock on Wood" I will continue to monitor this thread.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM
SPARKS93
Advanced

Default Ticking Noise Too !

Originally Posted by NORTY
Since some of the rockers are offset, it should be no surprise that the valve guides can and do "BELLMOUTH." "Side forces" on the valve stem will cause it to fail.
Now, if the needles have left the trunnion, then the angle of the rocker will increase, causing the valve to have even more side loads placed upon it. Now you're REALLY looking @ valve failure!
Norty,

Come over and I'll give you a first hand demo of the noise. Driving me nuts.. time to go visit Mr. Good wrench !
Old 08-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Maxx Schlick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TICK TICK TICK, you know what comes next..BOOM

Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a 2008 and have had this sound from day 1 at 3 miles on the ODO. The tick sound is RPM dependent, but is most noticeable from 1-2.5K in the lower gears. It gets better as the car warms up but never disappears.

I too checked out other LS7's and every one I've heard has the same noise.

I think you are fine and do not let the people here try to convince you it necessarily means your will have trouble later - so many of the LS7's have the ticking sound it appears to be a "feature" of the design.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 PM
AKMac
Intermediate

I've noticed all LS engines make some sort of ticking noise. Some sound like a sewing machine.

The more modded, the easier you can hear the tick. Just the nature of the injectors doing their job
Old 08-23-2010, 10:49 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i know for a fact it's not injectors. i talked to LPE the other day about possible upgrades and they said it is common on every LS7 motor they have seen. they said a cam would definitly make it worse which tells me its valve train.
it drives me nuts as well.
i have noticed right after an oil change the noise is less and it seems to be consistant with oil viscosity, when it's hot and thin the oil pressure drops and the noise is louder.
i asked if there was any solution and he suggested running 15w50 mobile one. he said many guys who run on the track run that weight oil without issue.
i made note of my oil pressure with 20% remaining on the change interval running 5w30 i was getting 29psi at idle and 200 degree oil temp.
i switched to the 15w50 and the noise is 95% gone when cold and about 85% gone when hot. now i get 41PSI at idle with 200 degrees oil temp.
i see no other side effect to the heavier weight oil. i was assured by LPE that the stock oil system has a relief or bypass that will bleed off anything more then 100 PSI. so no risk of blowing out my oil filter.
ive been driving for a couple weeks with the new oil and i can definitly hear a difference in the valve train noise with the thicker oil.
time will tell if it stays that way but the only thing i see different besides the noise is better oil pressure and IMO i don't think that is a bad thing.
The following users liked this post:
C3w4sp (09-03-2016)
Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think alot of you guys are not understanding the OP's post/question. He is not complaining about the constant tick that ls motors make when running. His problem is that his car makes loud ticking only at 1,500-2,000 rpm's then goes away. My car does the same and I am also trying to figure out what it may be.

Get notified of new replies

To LOUD ticking at 1,500 to 2,000 rpms... What's the cause?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69dodgecharger
I think alot of you guys are not understanding the OP's post/question. He is not complaining about the constant tick that ls motors make when running. His problem is that his car makes loud ticking only at 1,500-2,000 rpm's then goes away. My car does the same and I am also trying to figure out what it may be.
i personally think it has somthing to do with the lifter in the bore and how it rides on the cam. i dont know if it comes and goes based on RPM because of the "play" if you will between the lifter and the bore or if it has somthing to do with a rod and contact with the rocker. but i do know the oil helps. that tells me that whatever it is has to do with the ability to keep oil between the 2 parts.
the thing that throws me for a loop is why every engine does it and it sounds like only 1 lifter, rod, rocker whatever it might be and seems consistent with 1 click per revolution.
if it were just a bad design of the engine i would expect all valves to make this noise.
so perhaps someone with a more intimate knowledge of how the LS7 is put together might know if 1 particular valve, rocker, lifter has a different design, angle of attack or maybe if the lifters are hydrolic maybe 1 lifter gets less oil pressure than the rest?
i am totally out of ideas, but the oil seems to make a difference.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:22 PM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
... but the oil seems to make a difference...
What do you mean? A different weight oil or brand?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by u1arunit
What do you mean? A different weight oil or brand?
same mobile 1 oil just a different viscosity

Quick Reply: [Z06] LOUD ticking at 1,500 to 2,000 rpms... What's the cause?