Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] E85...is the REAL DEAL; come inside!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you deal with C5’s might want to post over in that section also as there was recently a E85 thread. One of the common concerns was easily switching between a pump gas map and the E85 map. Coming from the Subaru community it’s nice to see Vette tuners catering to E85.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:18 PM
billiam01
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

What's so great about E85? It offers less energy per gallon than conventional gasoline hence the lower mpg. We have to burn more of it to get the same benefit. I understand the non-oil base energy politics but other than that.......
Old 08-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billiam01
What's so great about E85? It offers less energy per gallon than conventional gasoline hence the lower mpg. We have to burn more of it to get the same benefit. I understand the non-oil base energy politics but other than that.......
Several reasons actually.....

Octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2

Ethanol is a cooler and cleaner burning fuel than gasoline....which in port fuel injected engines leads to a "slight" inlet air cooling effect.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:21 PM
9sec383
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billiam01
After reading all 3 pages ive gathered E85 isnt for everyone...its more for Zo6s with mods and high compression where 93 octane will not suffice...if we have money to buy $50,000+ Z06s we shouldnt be worried about miles per gallon or fuel economy....thats what the ford focus is for....Z06s are for ***** across the face power enthusiasts and not for the weak hearted...
Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9sec383
After reading all 3 pages ive gathered E85 isnt for everyone...its more for Zo6s with mods and high compression where 93 octane will not suffice...if we have money to buy $50,000+ Z06s we shouldnt be worried about miles per gallon or fuel economy....thats what the ford focus is for....Z06s are for ***** across the face power enthusiasts and not for the weak hearted...
Thought the Camaro was the universally accepted rainbow warrior car
Old 08-15-2010, 03:37 PM
9sec383
Racer

Originally Posted by Six-Gun-Todd
Thought the Camaro was the universally accepted rainbow warrior car
yea that came out way wrong...lol i meant ***** across your/ their face...my bad
Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetRacingGuy
Hmmm..I think the main difference is that E85 is local, corn made gas...It seems to work better in a Man's car that a little bitch car. Try a rice derrivative for the foreign bitch cars.

ANY car conversation that involves the terms "...per liter" or "1.8L" or "2.4L" is by default pure nonsense!
maybe one day ill be cool like you......myself and everyone in this forum really look up to you now. i thought this thread was about E-85, but apparently not.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 PM
flyinmedic
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I understand that if you are running boost that you will need to upgrade the fuel system as well as the injectors. Is this true? My LS7 (stock block) big cam, D1SC @ 9psi, meth, 80lb injectors, etc... is doing 770rwhp/667rwtq. What could I expect to see if I switched and what would I need to upgrade?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:59 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by HVDT
Here in the netherlands we have cars driving on the e85.
A friend of my has a nissan 370 and it running fine.
The only thing he notice is that the engine takes more time to start.
i have heard that a possible problem could be that the rubber seals in the pump or at other places can go bad.
Is there some knowledge about this issue?

What size injectors do you need en what does injectors costs

Grtz,Hans
Hello Hans,

Older cars [many '90 models and older] have to change a few fueling components for it to run E85.

Most of our guys swap to 60lbs units; a little big but it lends itself great for future mods.

The cold starting is attributed to the summer blend. When temps fall (winter), gas stations make the switch to E70 (winter blend). I've seen some guys add a 70/30 mix (E85 vs. 93oct) for extreme cold weather without any starting issues.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinmedic
I understand that if you are running boost that you will need to upgrade the fuel system as well as the injectors. Is this true? My LS7 (stock block) big cam, D1SC @ 9psi, meth, 80lb injectors, etc... is doing 770rwhp/667rwtq. What could I expect to see if I switched and what would I need to upgrade?

Heck man, all you need is E85 and tuning.

Most bosted guys pick up between 45 and 60rwhp with E85 and tuning; a bump in boost will net more if the set up can handle it.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Hello Hans,

Older cars [many '90 models and older] have to change a few fueling components for it to run E85.

Most of our guys swap to 60lbs units; a little big but it lends itself great for future mods.

The cold starting is attributed to the summer blend. When temps fall (winter), gas stations make the switch to E70 (winter blend). I've seen some guys add a 70/30 mix (E85 vs. 93oct) for extreme cold weather without any starting issues.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Carlos

At what temperature does E85 begin to exhibit difficulties with starting. (I'm assuming most guys won't be driving their Z's when its that cold.)
Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I must be missing something here. To my knowledge a traditional fuel system does not incorporate the proper materials to handle E85 for any given amount of time. For instance.....Chrylser spent a sizable amount of money replacing seals and hoses so they could adhere one of those lovely E85 emblems to their vehicles.

As for the environment.....don't get all cozy with the idea that you're doing the world a favor. Ethanol requires more energy to produce....as in from the field to your tank.....than gasoline does by a long stretch. So your emissions are GREATER running ethanol in a total sense then running gasoline.

Finally someone understands. You probably don't own a repair shop but have an engineering background or just commonsense.

Lots of people run more HP than stock but I don't see any 100,000 mile warranty's being handed out; most have you sign a release. LOL

Any rubber coming contact with this fuel better be up to the task, for example, the gas cap seal.

Which weighs more:
A pound of Mercury?
OR
A pound of Water?

An oz. of gas has more BTU's or energy than an oz. of E85, so you have to run more than an oz. of E85 to get the same energy output as gas. That means it takes more fuel to make the same power output. This is a disadvantage. Fuel consumption will double.

The Advantages are that E85 carries it's own O2 molecule. Now you can run 2 - 2 1/2 oz. of E85 and achieve the same AFR as the 1 oz. of gas.
More fuel means more BTU's, more octane, lower combustion temps. This also allows for more compression, more timing and simply put more power.

The wizards or engineers at GM got your back on this one.

Smaller displacement, direct injection and more power with a warranty.

I'll wait.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 PM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLW BY
Finally someone understands. You probably don't own a repair shop but have an engineering background or just commonsense.

Lots of people run more HP than stock but I don't see any 100,000 mile warranty's being handed out; most have you sign a release. LOL

Any rubber coming contact with this fuel better be up to the task, for example, the gas cap seal.

Which weighs more:
A pound of Mercury?
OR
A pound of Water?

An oz. of gas has more BTU's or energy than an oz. of E85, so you have to run more than an oz. of E85 to get the same energy output as gas. That means it takes more fuel to make the same power output. This is a disadvantage. Fuel consumption will double.

The Advantages are that E85 carries it's own O2 molecule. Now you can run 2 - 2 1/2 oz. of E85 and achieve the same AFR as the 1 oz. of gas.
More fuel means more BTU's, more octane, lower combustion temps. This also allows for more compression, more timing and simply put more power.

I'll wait.

Don't get me started on NITRO.

BTW the E85 consist of 85% grain alcohol, the federal gov puts 15% gasoline to keep the wine-os from drinking it right out of the pump.

Last edited by BLW BY; 08-15-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: BTW
Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Anyone that buys a Corvette, and preaches about the environment... well... lol... it's a hotrod!!!
E85 is superior than 93petrol in most applications, the facts are in the results. Thanks for sharing Carlos!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flyinmedic
I presume you are already running water methanol injection.....so you would see no benefit in running E85. Depending on your water to methanol ratio and amount of injection you are already realizing the chemical equivalent of 110-115 octane while running 93 octane fuel. You're already ahead of the E85 octane numbers.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BLW BY

Which weighs more:
A pound of Mercury?
OR
A pound of Water?

I'll wait.
I try

Living in the Motorcity gives me certain advantages.....and "new technology" in the automotive sector hits us a bit earlier than everywhere else. E85 was a joke locally even before it hit the mainstream media.....just another means for automakers to ride the environmental bandwagon and subvert fleet mileage numbers. Don't get me wrong.....I've run my fair share of blown alcohol and nitro rails and know the advantages in a race only application but can't see E85 being a very good day to day choice. Personally I'm a huge supporter of water methanol injection.....the advantages of running regular fuel available everywhere and being able to chemically "dope" the fuel into much higher observed octane.

Now if I lived in the corn belt and E85 was plentiful everywhere and less expensive than locally I'd consider it an option.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:04 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

I remember you stating for a stock engine, E85 was not worth it. But if you up the compression to 13:1 it would be better. My question is if you bump compression, are stuck with no place to by E85 and have to use 93 octane, can you still drive the car like you could with E85? Does this depend on the compression? If so where is the point which you have to play it safe?

Get notified of new replies

To E85...is the REAL DEAL; come inside!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM
Six-Gun-Todd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
I remember you stating for a stock engine, E85 was not worth it. But if you up the compression to 13:1 it would be better. My question is if you bump compression, are stuck with no place to by E85 and have to use 93 octane, can you still drive the car like you could with E85? Does this depend on the compression? If so where is the point which you have to play it safe?
Bingo.

That's why I like water meth injection.....I can find windshield wash anywhere.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Just to add a little to this thread - because I actually am finding it a good thread to learn from. You folks do know why the auto makers are producing E85 vehicles, don't you? There is one main reason you see all those Suburbans, Tahoes, pickup trucks etc running around with "Flex Fuel" emblems on them.

Five Monday morning thumbs ups for the first person with the correct answer.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 AM
BLW BY
Burning Brakes

Bingo.

That's why I like water meth injection.....I can find windshield wash anywhere.
The weak link is the fuel's octane rating 91-93.
If you look at the high octane table, just when the motors reaching max torque, is when the VCM starts pulling timing.

Why are peoples adding air filters, bigger cams, heads, exhaust amongst other mods and don't account for the weak link. All these mods might even accentuate this issue.

BTW switching back and forth is not an issue due to the fact the E85 is 15% gasoline and the pump gas, in most of the country, is 10% ethanol.

Quick Reply: [Z06] E85...is the REAL DEAL; come inside!!!