Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

[Z06] Quantum Motorsports Brake Cooling Kit Pics

Old 03-04-2016, 05:29 PM
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 460 Likes on 408 Posts

I have no data, but here is a picture of the Lambert hose setup, but also show the 4" hose I installed from the front grill that really made the brake cooling system work:

Last edited by AzDave47; 03-04-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 3,771 Likes on 2,491 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Luv'R View Post
I am digging up this post, as I am considering this kit for my C5 (which also requires the DRE brake ducts) as part of my HDPE prep.

Who has collected data on this kit? How much additional cooling does it provide?
I used the LG 3.5 inch ducts on my C5Z with the Doug Rippie extension to the stock plastic duct and I used the Quantum Kit on my C6Z.

There are pluses and minuses to both. First, the LG spindle duct kits require removing the wheel bearing, removing the plate between the bearing and the knuckle that holds the ABS connector and then installing the spindle duct plate in its place. This may move your bearing out a little depending on whether the aluminum spindle duct plate is as thin as the OEM ABS connector plate. I went with the LG 3.5 inch kit because the DRM duct outlet fits a 4 inch hose. Once you get the kit installed the spindle plate dumps all of the air from the DRM duct into the backside of the rotor. The problem I had with this kit was the 3.5 inch hose was very stiff and as the wheels turned from one side to the other put a bending force on the spindle duct plate right where the aluminum tubing attached to the plate. Eventually the metal fractured and I had to have it welded which became a problem since the weld was right where the plate fit between the knuckle and the bearing. I know other people who use a 3 inch hose which is more flexible putting less force on the plate which isn't as likely to fail. The problem here is the larger DRM duct outlet and getting it tied to the 3 inch hose.

The Quantum Ducts are easier to install than the LG ducts but as you can see in the pictures the outlet to the rotor is smaller than the inlet. The way they cut the tubing attached to the flange there is a hole on the back of the flange where air can flow toward the back of the knuckle Vs into the rotor. On my C6Z I used aluminized duct tape to wrap around the tubing on the back of the plate to seal the hole and force the air into the rotor. The big problem here is due to the construction of the plate which is done to avoid removing the bearing the outlet hole behind the rotor is radially outward from the LG version and most of the air hits the rotor face on the back Vs the hole in the back of the rotor. You don't have to remove the bearing or the OEM ABS Connector bracket but you have to cut the end off the connector bracket. The Quantum ducts can also be equipped with the tie rod and ball joint heat protectors which isn't a bad thing.

Which one works best??? I think the LG kit may flow more air due to less restrictions at the spindle plate.

Bill
Old 03-05-2016, 02:04 AM
dkz
CF Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
I have no data, but here is a picture of the Lambert hose setup, but also show the 4" hose I installed from the front grill that really made the brake cooling system work:
Front grill? any pictures of where in the front?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dkz View Post
Front grill? any pictures of where in the front?
See below. If you want more info for this install on a C6Z, PM me your normal e-mail and I can pass on much more info. Jim Dillon from this forum helped me and I've worked with several others to do this.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

Received 336 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm attempting to rig up some Lambert spindle ducts on my z51 but the ABS sensor is directly in the center of the air intake hole. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-05-2016, 06:07 PM
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe I had to cut the sensor mounting bracket to install the Lambert kit on my C6 Z06. I just tie-wrapped the sensor connection to the other wires in the area. I did not have to relocate the sensor in the hub.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Suns_PSD
CF Senior Member

Received 336 Likes on 249 Posts

I guess I don't know how the ABS sensor works. Is it just going through the air and measuring if the rotor is still spinning?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 PM
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I guess I don't know how the ABS sensor works. Is it just going through the air and measuring if the rotor is still spinning?
On my Z06 the sensor is in the hub with wires coming out of the sensor, then to a connector that can be disconnected from the wiring harness. My Lambert kit did not interfere with the wheel sensor, just the metal bracket that the connectors were attached to. I cut off the steel bracket, moved the (still) connected wires and connector out of the way and tie-wrapped them together with the other wires near the base of the front shocks and they haven't given me any issues in2+ years and some strong performance events.

Maybe on the Z51 the hookup is a little different than the Z06?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:56 PM
rjacobs
CF Senior Member

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
ABS sensor is reading off the tone wheel in the hub unit bearing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Quantum Motorsports Brake Cooling Kit Pics

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: