Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help! When Key Fob(s) Don't Work & Battery Strong

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 AM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Help! When Key Fob(s) Don't Work & Battery Strong

Just went to start my 2006 Z06 this morning and it said "No key fob detected." Figured maybe the battery on the key fob had gone dead. But then got the same message when I tried my other key fob. Car battery seems fine (headlights are bright). Car ran fine yesterday.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 AM
ZR-1 1991
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sefa01
Just went to start my 2006 Z06 this morning and it said "No key fob detected." Figured maybe the battery on the key fob had gone dead. But then got the same message when I tried my other key fob. Car battery seems fine (headlights are bright). Car ran fine yesterday.

Any suggestions?
Open glove box there is a slot on left hand side .put fob in there ,
then try to start it .--please see owners manual --I believe the
silver part faces the passenger's side

Last edited by ZR-1 1991; 08-22-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 AM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by ZR-1 1991
Open glove box there is a slot on left hand side .put fob in there ,
then try to start it .--please see owners manual --I believe the
silver part faces the passenger's side
Thanks. I did a search after I posted (I know, should have done it first) and saw that. Do appreciate you getting back to me.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by sefa01
Thanks. I did a search after I posted (I know, should have done it first) and saw that. Do appreciate you getting back to me.
Hmmm......

If you didn't know about the slot in the glove compartment, I'm concerned that you don't know a bunch of other stuff about your car!!

Because you're having problems with the fobs, the first thing I'd recommend is to make sure you can get into the car if the door locks don't recognize your fob.

Make sure you go out and check your key. Make sure you know how hard you may need to turn it to get the latch to release. If it won't work at all, you'll have to check to make sure the cable is properly connected into the latch.

If your fobs don't work, and you can't get the key to work, you're just about totally SOL!!

Bob
Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hmmm......

If you didn't know about the slot in the glove compartment, I'm concerned that you don't know a bunch of other stuff about your car!!

Because you're having problems with the fobs, the first thing I'd recommend is to make sure you can get into the car if the door locks don't recognize your fob.

Make sure you go out and check your key. Make sure you know how hard you may need to turn it to get the latch to release. If it won't work at all, you'll have to check to make sure the cable is properly connected into the latch.

If your fobs don't work, and you can't get the key to work, you're just about totally SOL!!

Bob
Key works. I've tested the cables before on both door and fuel door. Just never had a problem with the fobs before.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:34 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Haven't heard this one before.

If neither Fob is picked up and you know their battery's are OK, it's probably something with the electronics of the car.

I would have a dealer check it out.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:20 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have a cell phone charger plugged in several people including myself had problems with key fobs not being detected. unplug any cell charger you might have and try again.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Actually, the keyless entry system is fairly sensitive to external electrical interference. Sometimes you'll just park someplace where the fobs won't work. Sometimes this condition arises intermittently due to water on the wires. Not in the car, the wires outside. It seems especially prone to happen under gas station canopies. In the latter case I suspect the ballasts for the fluorescent lights causes the trouble.

I've had this happen out in the country more than once and I look around and there's just one little overhead electrical line 50 feet away. I asked the guys at work (I work in IT for an electric utility) and they said that was entirely possible, that little country lines are often very old. Since they don't take a lot of load they can be "leaky" and still work fine.

In any case, as long as the fobs work reliably in other locations, your car is fine.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 PM
nzk
Burning Brakes

ive noticed this when i put my fob in the same pocket as my phone...
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto on the phone, mine gives me intermittent gremlins from time to time but I also have quite a bit of aftermarket electronics in the car. It's usually a matter of repositioning the FOB or placing it in the slot. Sometimes mine won't recognize the hatch and I just reach in and push the hatch button on the FOB and it opens right up.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Help! When Key Fob(s) Don't Work & Battery Strong

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help! When Key Fob(s) Don't Work & Battery Strong